• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Rum tasting

GordonCooks

During my labor day picnic, I decided to bust out a few Rums to compliment some Bolivar Coronas Gigantes. We tried Barcadi 8, Coyopa 10, & Captain Morgan's 12.

As a long time Scotch drinker who doing more Rums & Tequilas lately, I seem to like the Morgans' the best , followed by the Barcardi, and then the Coyopa. The Morgans was the smoothest and the Coyopa had the most "bite". I had expected the Coyopa to be the best but I didn't care for it at all. Is it me or an off day?

I've had all 3 and prefer them in this order.

Coyopa 10 Smooth and best flavor

Bacardi 8 a little harsh but good flavor

Captain Morgan Private Stock smooth but way too sweet.

Personal preference I guess.

Salud,

Patrick

Edited by Garcia21 (log)

Salud,

Patrick

Maybe it was the cigars ? I prefer a robust spirit myself but am a Rum newbie. Other than some obvious, aged selections, I am a student.

Salud,

Patrick

I dont think Private Stock and Morgan 12 is the same stuff.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I purchased the 12yr old in Canada (Duty Free) - It was 40-45 cd and came in this ornate decanter. I didn't expect much, but found it quite appealing. None of the Vanilla/Maple syrup that is the normal Cpt Morgans

Yeah, thats not the same as private stock.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 weeks later...

I recently opened a bottle of the Private Stock that had been in the locker for a few months and was terribly disappointed. In fact, I couldn't drink it, I expected a lot more from a rum that is labeled Private Stock, but thend if I hadn't tried it, I wouldn't know.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.