• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chorizo

Brit

Let me set out my stall right away. I am an enthusiastic amateur living and enjoying cooking and eating out in London. I am new to egullet, and in fact I have never posted a question on a website before, but the forum looks great so here goes.

Just got back from a week in and around Barcelona with my girlfriend. We had the most amazing meal at El Raco can Farbes (I cannot rate it highly enough) and in La Boqueria I bought some chorizo. I love chorizo just sliced with some hard cheese but I would love any suggestions that anyone might have for cooking it for friends who are coming on Saturday.

Thanks

How about chorizo with sauteed kale with mushrooms and poached eggs?

And welcome to eGullet.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Saute some chopped chorizo, onions, and garlic in a little olive oil. Add a cup of white wine and bring to a boil. After the wine has reduced by half add a couple of pounds of clams or mussels and steam them until they are open. Add a little more olive oil and some parsley at the end and serve with some good bread.

Eric Ripert's A return to cooking has lots of recipes which use chorizo.

There are several recipes that call for chorizo in RecipeGullet. (That link is the search url. If it doesn't work, click eG Recipes, above, and search for chorizo.)

The chick peas (garbanzos) and chorizo appetizer in particular was a huge success when we served it at a eGullet pot luck. Very tasty, the sauce sops up great with bread.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Welcome to you,fellow Brit.

I do a pasta dish with chorizo and rosemary.

Heat some butter,put in some chopped rosemary,add a tin of tomatoes(a little sugar improves there flavour) then the chopped chorizo.cook down for about 5 minutes then add a little cream,reduce a bit more.Add a pinch of chilli flakes,salt and pepper then toss with some cooked pene and a spoon of parmesan.

I have to admit to getting the idea from Ballymaloe cooking school . :unsure:

Saute some chopped chorizo, onions, and garlic in a little olive oil. Add a cup of white wine and bring to a boil. After the wine has reduced by half add a couple of pounds of clams or mussels and steam them until they are open. Add a little more olive oil and some parsley at the end and serve with some good bread.

Eric Ripert's  A return to cooking has lots of recipes which use chorizo.

I'll vouch for this--it's a big hit whenever served and both quite simple and forgiving.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Where does one begin? Good with surf n' turf, especially scallops. Also sea bass. Used it as a stuffing for squid the other day - with cubes of bread, olive oil, garlic and sauteed shallots. Great grilled with lots (more!) of paprika on crostini.

Also consider the classic borough market roll - in a toasted ciabatta bun with crispy rocket. Also very nice like they do at Gourmet Burger Kitchen, with a thick slice of yellow sweet potato added.

Good with black pudding.

Also with chicken - take it out of the casings and stuff it between the meat and the skin

Remember to use the oil rendered out for frying other stuff.

The possibilities are endless

cheerio, hope to see you around

J

PS Brinidisa in borough market do excellent fresh chorizo - dulce or piccante. They also have a shop in Exmouth market. I'll be down the mkt. this Sat am if you're about (dinner party for four, going on eight)

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

With all of the above recipes, I would suggest bearing in mind that there are two basic kinds of Spanish chorizo: the cured, hard kind meant for eating immediately, and the softer kind, cured much less or not at all, meant for cooking.

Although you don't specify, my guess is you bought the harder kind....that would, in fact, be the only kind that would be good to nibble on with hard cheese. I find this kind does not stew well at all. If you cook it, the less the better, in my experience.

I think it could be delicious with eggs. Slkinsey has proven to me how delicious it is as a topping on homemade pizza.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

just tonight for dinner I made chorizo (soft) w/scrambled eggs, side of black beans, side of sweet plantains and served w/some fresh Mexican crema. WHOA incredible combination of flavors!

I had dined on this at a restuarant and they called it a Salvadoran breakfast.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

At my job now we serve a blackeyed pea, chorizo ragout with mustard glazed, pine nut crusted lamb..it's tasty. The last job I had we served chorizo stuffed calamari as an app. I'm inclined to go for the mussels steamed in a chorizo, saffron broth, maybe put some tomato sauce in it first.

As for the the cured spanish chorizo. It was a welcome addition to a cheese plate for awhile.

I can't get enough of the stuff..just don't read the ingredients :blink: