• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Mother

Foam Pants

My brother and sister in law are caterers.  When they catered my mother's 70th, Ian commented:  "Gee, this is the only place I know where people are disappointed when they find out we're cooking."

Was this the soy sauce in the beef bourgogne incident?

My mom is a decent cook but she knows enough to get the hell out of my way. She does have an irritating habit of putting stuff away before I'm done with it, though.

My mom doesn't really even understand the concept of message boards ('What's a thread?') nor does she know about this site, nor does she know how to use google or any search engine to search for things. I'm not really worried. :biggrin:

and she chopped up pickles and fritos as filler for her meatloaf. 

oh man, that actually sounds pretty good.

Fritos were the key ingredient to my mom's (non-italian) meatballs & rice. We all loved them as kids but now that we're all adults, the recipe stays in the kitchen drawer. :sad:

They were huge meatballs, too. The recipe also called for Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup which makes it sound like something belonging on the "White Trash Delicacies" thread! :biggrin:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

and she chopped up pickles and fritos as filler for her meatloaf. 

oh man, that actually sounds pretty good.

. . . and don't even, T. It was so bad it was Great Santini painful. She hated Italian food b/c of the evil garlic, so she didn't even make a gravy with which to smother, drown or otherwise salvage this dreck. I remember once my dad made this pitiful dip or whathaveyou out of condiments to try and help the loaf along in its slow death on our table, and it was just so sad. Kind of bad key lime pie yellow.

How many people reading this thread have thought that their mothers might stumble upon this website, find the thread, and recognize their post?

There's no privacy on the Internet.

Bruce

I haven't written anything that I wouldn't say directly to my mom.

Of course, my parents don't own a computer, but that's besides the point. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

How many people reading this thread have thought that their mothers might stumble upon this website, find the thread, and recognize their post?

Bruce

LOL! I'm safe...mom knows less about computers than she does about cooking :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Bruce

LOL! I'm safe...mom knows less about computers than she does about cooking :biggrin:

=R=

Don't be too sure. I'll bet that this site will still be around in another five or ten years, and that it'll all be archived and indexed. All your mother will have to do is walk up to a voice activated computer terminal in a mall and ask: "What are my children saying about me?" The computer will identify her by voice, look your names up in a database, and find every instance where you didn't say the nicest possible thing.

It's the revenge of technology....

Bruce

Bruce

=R=

Don't be too sure. I'll bet that this site will still be around in another five or ten years, and that it'll all be archived and indexed. All your mother will have to do is walk up to a voice activated computer terminal in a mall and ask: "What are my children saying about me?" The computer will identify her by voice, look your names up in a database, and find every instance where you didn't say the nicest possible thing.

It's the revenge of technology....

Bruce

:biggrin: Well, then I suppose it's a good thing that my last name isn't really Suburban. :wink:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com