• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Updating the Kitchen Essentials

Stone

Yes, perhaps we have gone a little off on tangent here. Certainly there doesn't need to be any more exploration of cookware nomenclature on this thread -- even if it is fun. :smile:

That said, I think that issues of versatility and price are certainly germane to this topic.

--

my 6" Santoku

3" paring knife

mixing bowl

cutting board

Cast Iron skillet

6qt PressureCooker

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I have way too many kitchen toys. But the things I couldn't live without include:

Stainless steel roasting pan

2 qt and 4 qt pots

12 in cast iron frying pan

8 in chef's knife

5 in serrated utility knife

3 1/2 in paring knife

spatulas

wooden spoon long and narrow

crockpot especially in winter!

coffee pot

dutch oven

Bamix hand mixer

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Here are the things I use every day:

12" skillet

Chef's Knife (I prefer a 6" actually, though I have two 8" and a Santoku additionally)

Cutting board

And nearly as often:

Saucier

Sheet Pan

Aluminum Foil

Vegetable peeler

Flexible Boning Knife

Strainer

Whisk

Immersion Blender

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

Santuko knife and a massive cutting board by Boos Boards. They love each other so much. Other than that, the basics really. Lots of mesh sieves and strainers. A variety of them because I rarely pass liquid from one place to another without putting it through a strainer of some sort. Thanks Thomas Keller.

R. Jason Coulston

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

• 1 year later...

I’m a recent college graduate and enthusiastic amateur cook about to move into my own place (with an electric stove :sad: ) for the first time. Consequently, I need to buy some cookware. I don’t have a ton of money, so I can’t exactly spring for a full Creuset set, but I’m a serious enough cook that I’m willing to spend a bit for quality cookware that will last.

So here’s the question: what kind of cookware do I want? I have a huge cast-iron skillet and a tall stainless steel stockpot. I need a couple sauté pans of varying size, a saucepan or two, something nice and heavy for braises, stews, simmered dishes, etc. It would be great if everything were oven-safe.

So, what do I want? Cast-iron, stainless steel, enameled cast-iron, calphalon, something else?

There’s a steep discount on a Cuisinart Chef set - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008CM6...garden&v=glance – down to $150 from $400. Seems like a great deal. But do I really want stainless steel? Will these pans heat evenly and serve all my needs?

What are the pros, cons, and best/worst brands of various types of cookware? I’m lost here – help!

You may want to consider different materials for each type of cookware. I am very happy with our stainless steel saute and frying pans, but when it's time to buy more --if ever-- I would be open to considering other materials. And we have a 5 1/2 quart Le Creuset pot that I love more than

... well, let's not go there!

I would strongly recommend Le Creuset for braising.

The egullet course on cookware would be a good thing to read:

stovetop cookware

Cook's Illustrated magazine has great cookware reviews every issue-if you have the time you might want to head to your local library to read back issues, or perhaps you can access this info online if you join their site.

I wouldn't get a set. Jgm is right-different materials are great for different things. My all-clad non-stick, my Le Creuset French oven, my Lodge cast iron and my stainless skillet all have their place. Also, with a set you may get pieces that won't get used much, depending on what you cook.

You seem like you know what types of pans you need most, so I'd start looking for sales and accumulate pieces as you can. Get on kitchen store mailing lists, find your nearest Le Creuset outlet, look at the department store's housewares sale ads.

The three things I couldn't live without are my Le Creuset round French oven, my 12" All-Clad non-stick skillet and my 12" All-Clad saute pan.

Edited by kiliki (log)

Good advice above to avoid sets and choose different materials for different purposes. If you have more time than money, consider garage sales, flea markets, and eBay after you have figured out what you really want. Also, places like Marshalls sometimes have deals on cookware. I once got an enameled cast iron grill pan (not LC) for $5. because it had a little chip. Even wonderful cast iron pans can be found used for a few bucks.

If you must have AC for anything, see this site for roughly half price seconds: http://www.cookwarenmore.com/home/index.cfm.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Also check at Costco. They carry under their name, a heavy anodized aluminum which is comparable to Calphalon. It is an excellent buy and they do have occasional price cuts.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The egullet course on cookware would be a good thing to read:

stovetop cookware

That's the best place to start to understand cookware in general.

And if you'll give us some idea of what you want to spend for all those items, and whether you intend thsese pieces to last forever or for some lesser time, we may be able to give you more targeted and helpful suggestions.

The first unfortunate truth is that the US is probably the most expensive country in the western world for high-end cookware.

The above advice is good, but that said, the cuisinart pieces seem like a decent place to start just to cover your bases for the first few years. Realistically, as you develop as a cook, you'll see the gaps in your cookware that need filling, or pieces that need upgrading - or even those that you never use, or are better than you need. So, you save up for one at a time, or buy them as you can.

Never buy expensive non-stick. They physically can't last for that long, unless you use them incredibly mildly (and now someone will post that they've had the same non stick pan since 1974). Many restaurants have a turn around of about 6 months (at the outside) on non-stick. That's why companies such as Bourgeat make great non-stick pieces for very little money. I'm talking Lodge prices. In the home they last one to two years, and then you get another.

If you can locate a restaurant supply store, you'll find some pieces which are tough, functional, but not necessarily pretty.

Yes, eventually you'll want a creuset or staub braiser, possibly a copper piece or two, and a 12-20 quart/litre stock pot.

For now, if you have 150 bucks, take the set. Then, if you're serious, save up for additional pieces individually.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I love stainless steel for cooking, and if you buy a roasting pan, please, please, make it stainless steel.

I just bought this set from Linens and Things for my sister in law. It arrived today, and of course I had to open the box to look and test the weight. If I couldn't have my All Clad, this set would be a close runner up. Of course I say that without having been able to test its performance, but the price was right and the pieces seem heavy and solid enough. As a bonus you get a reasonably decent knife set altough certainly not in the Wustoff type category, but for starting out, I think it's great. (I'm keeping the knife set for our RV :biggrin: )

Oh, and you definately want Le Creuset or Staub for braising.

Marlene

The first unfortunate truth is that the US is probably the most expensive country in the western world for high-end cookware.

Hah, right, try coming to Australia then. For the prices the local "gourmet" suppliers are charging for copper pans, I could fly to the US, buy a skillet and a saucepan, fly back and still have it come out cheaper.

PS: I am a guy.

Hah, right, try coming to Australia then. For the prices the local "gourmet" suppliers are charging for copper pans, I could fly to the US, buy a skillet and a saucepan, fly back and still have it come out cheaper.

Then you could fly to France business class, buy three times as much, and still afford lunch.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

If I were starting up a new kitchen, I would first buy the pieces that are most versatile and add others later. Also, after many years of cooking, I find that it is more useful generally to have pans that are wider than they are deep for any given volume.

I think one of the first particular pieces I would buy is the 5 1/2 qt Cuisinart saucepan, about 11" diameter. I live alone and find it the single most useful size/shape in my kitchen. But it is in heavy use when I entertain, too. Unlike the AC & Calphalon saucepans, it has deeper sides, nearly 4" which makes it more versatile. It's width makes it perfect to speed up making a bechamel or tomato sauce as well as fry up a batch of chicken. I use it to make pasta for 1-2 persons, caramelize onions, make soups, stews, and braises, etc. It's an expensive pan, but I found one half price at Marshall's.

Lastly, Bittman has a column on cast iron in the NYTimes this week.

Edited by Mottmott (log)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

In addition to your budget for your cookware, it may be helpful for us to have an idea of how many people you will be cooking for most of the time, and what kinds of cooking you plan to do now and over, say, the next year or two.

There are a number of sets like the Cuisinart and the one that Marlene found, but branded differently, and all seem very similar. Some have glass lids, some metal. Some skinny handles, some tubular. All are probably okay. Discounter/overstock chains like Marshalls and TJ Maxx always have these in individual pieces, cheap, cheap, cheap...so you do not have to get stuck on a set. And they usually have some Le Cruset. You may be able to assemble a better collection of cookware by being selective and putting most of your available money in two or three critical items that are going to be most important to you.

So help us help you. What's your budget now and over the next year or two, and how many will you cook for and what kinds of cooking do you want to do?

So help us help you. What's your budget now and over the next year or two, and how many will you cook for and what kinds of cooking do you want to do?

Thanks for all the great advice so far -- now I'll try to be a bit more specific to my budget and needs.

Budget-wise, I could probably splurge on a LC french oven, but other than that, I'm thinking more like $20-30 a piece on average (could be a few pricier pieces and a few cheaper ones, as long as it averages out). As I said, I already have a huge cast-iron skillet and a stockpot.

I'll be cooking for two, but would like the capacity to occasionally cook for six or so (having friends over, having leftovers, etc.). We tend to cook Italian pastas and bean dishes, dishes with simple pan sauces, Indian and Thai curries, stir-fries (should be fun on our wimpy electric range), simmered chicken or fish dishes, etc. I expect my cooking to branch out quite a bit now that I'm free the extremely limited campus grocery store. The girlfriend is a non-beef-and-porkitarian.

Thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to give me advice here.

Okay, that makes it a little clearer. Here are a few suggestions.

90 - 140 for 4 - 7 quart OVAL Le Cruset - Seconds at a discounter or on Amazon if you watch very carefully. Also consider other less expensive French or Chinese enameled cast-iron for 50 - 70% less, same discounters.

$100 - 150 total for Sitram (French) 11" Sautuese (Chef's Pan) or 11" Saute pan and a 2 qt sauce pan, either catering line (copper clad disk) or professiere line (thick aluminum disk). On Amazon, with $25 off if over $125 and free shipping.

$15 - 25 each for pots and pans that will be used for boiling water and not critical sauces, etc. Aluminum, non-stick over aluminum - restaurant supply house. About the same cost to slightly more for tri-clad and aluminum disk individual pieces at the disounters.

In general, restaurant supply houses are worth checking for anything you may need. Often much less than SLT and W-S for tools and various widgets, cookware and many other items.

If you do lots of pasta, perhaps a pasta pot, and for stir frys, a good wok.

Marlene

Okay, that makes it a little clearer. Here are a few suggestions.

90 - 140 for 4 - 7 quart OVAL Le Cruset - Seconds at a discounter or on Amazon if you watch very carefully. Also consider other less expensive French or Chinese enameled cast-iron for 50 - 70% less, same discounters.

$100 - 150 total for Sitram (French) 11" Sautuese (Chef's Pan) or 11" Saute pan and a 2 qt sauce pan, either catering line (copper clad disk) or professiere line (thick aluminum disk). On Amazon, with $25 off if over $125 and free shipping.

$15 - 25 each for pots and pans that will be used for boiling water and not critical sauces, etc. Aluminum, non-stick over aluminum - restaurant supply house. About the same cost to slightly more for tri-clad and aluminum disk individual pieces at the disounters.

In general, restaurant supply houses are worth checking for anything you may need. Often much less than SLT and W-S for tools and various widgets, cookware and many other items.

This sounds like great advice. One question -- why the oval Le Creuset rather than the standard French Oven?

For the stainless saute pans and such, don't forget the ever popular Chef Mate line at Target. Just be sure you get the tri-ply. I bought my kids sets last year because the deal on the set was just too good, $99. They have compared them very favorably to friends' All-Clad. You can buy individual pieces. I don't normally favor sets. Also check Target for the Chef Mate all purpose pot. It has a pasta and a steamer insert and a nice, heavy clad bottom.

Never, ever pay full price for Le Creuset. If there is an outlet near you, they also have incredible deals. Mario Batali has a new line of enameled cast iron out that looks really good. The prices are good, too. And Target has this new offering.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose