• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Updating the Kitchen Essentials

Stone

I kind of like this stoneware from C&B --  here.  But then I guess I'd have to worry about my food color clashing with my pate color?

Stone, if you like that, take a field trip to Sausalito and check out the Heath Stoneware studio. This stuff was all the rage for California brides in the 70's. It's nice stuff, they'll make you almost anything you want, or you can dig around the studio and buy a whole set of seconds.

This stuff was all the rage for California brides in the 70's.

Enough said!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

For everyday use, I use Corelle, plain white. It comes in open stock usually, so I don't end up with endless cups and saucers. In addition, they have luncheon plates which are nice to have. They don't break easily, and the plain white can be used for guests as well, although I use my china for guests. For everyday flatware, I use either Onieda or Lagostina. Both of those also have accompanying server sets as well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

FG suggested looking at Mikasa. If you go that route, see if they have a factory outlet near you. They sell sets as well as open stock. The prices are excellent.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I like Dansk flatware. There are many patterns that have been in production for 40 years or so, making it easy to buy additional pieces if need be. In fact, we are finally getting a very late wedding present of a set of Dansk Variation V from my dad (he was waiting for us to figure out which pattern we wanted). It's not cheap (a 40-piece set can be had on the Web for < $200), but I think it's timeless stuff. But then again, I'm really into Scandinavian modern. :smile:

I ditto the suggestion on Heath china. Gorgeous colors and glazes, and well made. I don't personally like all-white plates all that much.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

i'm using plates i got from bloomingdales about 3 years ago.  we use them all the time, and they're still in perfect condition.  check here, although i don't think ours are as ornate.  or maybe they are, and i'm just used to it. either way, it's pretty subtle.

tommy- Those dishes are lovely! (They are the same ones in the larb photo right?)

Stone - What about the popular Fiestaware? My bachelor ex-roomie went for those. They're sturdy, not too feminine, and I think they can be bought piece by piece if need be.

You might also think of checking out Fishs Eddy for every day dishes.  They're inexpensive, heavy and very durable.

I bought my everyday dinnerware from Fishs Eddy about 5 years ago, the blue star pattern and love the stuff. I continue to put the dishes through hell and back, and everything still looks brand new.

The nice thing is that you can pick and choose which pieces you want and are not stuck with a set containing useless pieces. Shipping costs was not too bad, I think they charge by pound.

The only thing is Fishs Eddy might be more casual than you want.

Okay. While there are lots of great ideas here, Stone started out by saying he was thinking about white with a texture pattern like FL. This was not a bad idea to start with. He does have taste. But I am still not clear about how much you want to spend on this, Stone. W-S has dinner ware from $59 for six to $200 for four, and flatware from $75 for 20 pieces to about $300 for the same. Pick a spread for service for eight in dinnerware --- $300 and under, $301 to $600, maybe over $600 if that's what you are looking for.

One approach would be to ask us what are the closest to the FL pattern ( white with texture) at the price point(s) you are interested in.

But you may not be pleased unless you actually look at and hold in your hands the real thing before you buy, or plan on shipping it back if it's not exactly what you want. That goes for flatware, too. Or maybe it's no big deal to you. If you're not planning on using it but for a short time and then getting rid of it, it may not make much difference.

FG suggested looking at Mikasa.  If you go that route, see if they have a factory outlet near you.  They sell sets as well as open stock.  The prices are excellent.

I'm pretty sure there's one at the Napa premium outlets.

BTW, finally managed to chip one of my plain white porcelain C&B bachelor plates last month. Shitty dishwasher. Probably had them around 7 years.

The industry standard in restaurants at the French Laundry level is Bernardaud, though I don't know whether FL actually uses the brand. Still, it's what you'll find in most of the five-diamond-type places. The Bernardaud restaurant stuff is not the same as what you'll find in a retail store, though. I think you have to get it through a restaurant sales rep. I'm sure it's doable, but I'm also sure it's damn expensive.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Keller has designed a set of dishes commissioned by Raynaud of Limoges here. Is this what you were using as a starting point, Stone? The site has old copy that says they will be available in early 2003 for both retail and wholesale markets. Or are you referring to something else?

I stopped by C&B at lunch. I like their Roulette Blue Band, which is about $150 for 5 settings. Then I perused the flatware. Without looking at prices, I managed, of course, to choose perhaps the most expensive (Collins) at $45 per setting. Oddly, I think I do have taste. At least for expensive stuff, not necessarily for tastefull stuff.

FL was a vague starting point. I like the sharper lines in the texture, as opposed, say, to the softer lines on the C&B Roullette (there's a link in one of the first responses). I may be able to get up to Napa this weekend -- I'm pretty certain there's a Mikasa outlet up there, a tad north of St. Helenas.

stone... I was at the C&B web site for something else. They have the blue band on sale, different configurations on the place settings. The web site also has the open stocke pieces but they don't seem to be on sale.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I bought plain white stoneware at Ikea at least 10 years ago. No texture. I’ve been a bit rough on it, moving 4 or 5 times, and not one piece has chipped or broken. The Ikea website shows a set of white porcelain with a ring motif called, coincidentally, BLOND. It's a variation on the line Keller designed with more rings. It’s so cheap it’s practically disposable, but looks quite nice. Perfectly acceptable for casual entertaining, and I'd even use it for more formal occasions. Once I get settled into my new place I'm going to get some for myself.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

I'm between the Mikasa Debonaire (recommended by Fat Guy) and the Crate & Barrel Roulette Blue Band. Mikasa is $60 for service for 4, C&B is $135. This is an investment for the long haul, but I'm leaning towards Mikasa. Hell, I'll be much happier if I get tired of $60 dishes than if I get tired of $135 dishes.

Thanks for the advice. Still working on the flatware.

I absolutely agree with MsRamsey about Dansk flatware. If you're near a dansk outlet, you can get some really great flatware for dirt cheap. I don't think I paid more than $50 for a 72 piece set that had 12 5 piece place settings and a bunch of serving pieces.

I can't seem to find the store locator on the current website, but here's a google cache that lists all the dansk factory outlets:

http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:Pozzf...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

As far as dishes, i've been very happy with the Aspen white porcelain from Crate & Barrel.

Good Luck,

Phil

I don't care for sets of china all in one pattern. Instead I find wonderful old china in consignment shops, auction houses, etc. I may find 8 dinner plates in one pattern and soup plates in another. I find it gives a more interesting look to the set table than using only one pattern for all the dishes. If I had more time, I'd work at getting individual plates and bowls to coordinate with each other.

But if you are after all one brand/pattern, you can still sometimes find wonderful sets at the same sources. I've seen beautiful sets at $2-300. You might also check out outlets such as Dansk, Doulton, etc. I recently found wonderful mugs at the latter's outlet at $.99/each.

Another reasonable source is restaurant supply houses.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I don't care for sets of china all in one pattern. 

I agree. I like to go to pottery stores that sell old restaurant (that have gone out of business) "leftovers". I've even been able to score some platters and serving dishes with restaurant names on them.

Nothing I have matches and I think it looks great.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have the William Sonoma Brassiere w/ the green stripe (set), I have since purchased basic white pasta bowls and other accessories that mix and match well. The Gilroy outlets have a Dansk outlet (and Le Cruset). There is a Mikasa outlet in Tracy. There is also a Crate & Barrel warehouse in Oakland. I am dying to go to East Bay Resturant Supply, tell us what it is like if you go. If you start with a basic look, you can dress it up or down with your table linens and accessories and the basic look will facilitate various food preparations of the season.

• 2 months later...

So, what are they? In this world of copper-bottomed pots and pans, All-Clad and Calphalon pans, Braun kitchen blenders, chef's knives and cutting boards and handy doodads like tourne knives and garlic presses, what's on your list of indispensible must-haves for any home cook?

For purposes of this discussion, assume a slightly higher than basic familiarity with cooking and technique -- i.e., not quite beginner's 101 but not quite "average" either. Are brand names truly necessary, or are there acceptable substitutes?

Other than that, fire away!

Soba

edit: as per Sam's post below, a bit of clarification is in order. This thread is for anyone who's starting to get their feet wet, and who, when going to stock his or her equipment in a kitchen supply store such as W-S or Lechter's, might feel a bit intimidated by the availability and diversity of selections. So while cooking styles and needs may vary from person to person, there must be somewhere, somehow, a list of must-haves that any person worth their cooking salt should have at a bare minimum.

Some indispensables are brand name, some are decidedly not.

Brand names: Cuisinart food processor, Kitchenaid mixer.

Generics (and cheap): spider (Chinatown) cleaver (ditto)

cast iron frying pans (can't remember)

wood (not plastic) cutting boards, and lots of 'em (can't remember)

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

This is very hard to say, because cooking styles and needs change so much between users. Many people, for example, will likely mention a wok whereas I don't have one and don't feel a need to acquire one.

For me, they are:

12" chef's knive

Paring knive

End-grain cutting board

Several heat-proof rubber spatulas

Several wooden spoons

Apex spatula

1 small saucepan - straight gauge

1 medium sized tall saucepan - heavy disk bottom

1 large stockpot with pasta insert - heavy disk bottom

1 large (11" or more) saute pan or curved sauteuse evasee - heavy disk bottom

1 11" frypan - straight gauge

1 11" nonstick frypan -- straight gauge

1 large enameled cast iron casserole

--

I don't know whether to be proud or embarrased by the fact that I could probably make everything I know with just a chef's knife, a wooden spoon and my 12" Lodge cast iron pan.

I also find that a big-ass pizza stone is indespensible. I keep mine in my oven at all times. It helps even out the temperature fluctuations that home ovens are prone too. Did you know you can cook hot dogs on a pizza stone? Damn tasty, too.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com