• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unknown Indian Legume?!

zucchini

Maybe you can share some other wonderful recipes and preparations from Kerala.  W5{ld be.

:unsure: Hey, I am not a big cook! Just learning by trial and error, but I would like to share kerala recipes I have tried so far. I cannot claim they are my recipes. I collect recipes from the web & magazines, make changes to match our taste...

It looks like all of you here in this forum are great professional cooks. Glad that I found this forum!

I hardly feel anyone has any claim over many a recipe they cook. Most all things are inspired, if not even just tweaked a little, to make them something just ever so different. There are certainly those dishes that many a chef come up with, but I would say at least in the realm of cooking that is not just cerebral, one has to rely on what has been done and created in the past. It is that which I believe makes food wonderful.

You are not alone in learning, adapting and taking from others. We all do that. AT least those of us that are still learning and growing and wanting to get somewhere other than what we are today.

Please do share the Kerala recipes you have cooked, prepared, learned and found successful. I am sure others like me would be delighted in learning from you.

We are also glad you found us. The feeling is mutual redpepper. :smile:

Where are you based? What city, country, continent? :rolleyes: A geographic location often gives another on the net somewhat of a deeper understanding of who they read posts from.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah... My first post, after being a lurker for about 2 weeks.

Drumstick is considered an aphrodisiac in Madras.

I remember seeing a Tamil movie about 15 years ago in which

the heroine cooks a 7 course meal, all with drumsticks, to entice the hero.

Ah... My first post, after being a lurker for about 2 weeks.

Drumstick is considered an aphrodisiac  in Madras.

I remember seeing a Tamil movie about 15 years ago in which

the heroine cooks a 7 course meal, all with drumsticks, to entice the hero.

welcome to eGullet! :smile:

What movie could you be speaking of? Remember the name? What a great story.

I made a friend taste Drum Stick sambhaar and they totally did not get it.

They found the eating of drum stick totally not anything of pleasure and far too much of a chore. :shock:

I did not know how to react.. I tried hard to share the ways in which Indians eat them.. enjoy them and crave for them... nothing helped. I gave up.. and enjoyed them myself.

I do not recall the name of the movie.

I will find out from my friends.

I do love the flavor and aroma of drumsticks in Sambar and Lamb Kurma.

I agree it is a chore to eat them though.

The easiest way I know is to slowly munch on it , enjoy the pulp,

and.. continue to chew the heck out of the whole thing.. Mmmmm....

Am gonna go home and cook 'Kari Kulambu'.. My mouth is watering.

(Mom is gonna be mad when I wake her up at 5 am ist to ask for a recipe.)

We Konkanis use them in three ways as far as I know:

- in sambhars and coconut based sauces

- make a side dish with mustard, dried red chillies, tomatoes, aubergine/eggplant/brinjal and the drumstick of course.

- coat pieces with a batter of besan,rice flour, hing, chilli powder and salt and then deep-fry them.

Suman

P.S. They should have the provision for a salivating smiley, because that's what I often do when I am on this forum.

It looks like all of you here in this forum are great professional cooks.

Guess again... :laugh: Just likes to prepare food with new flavors and textures...sometimes it's really good, sometimes the dog eats well...