• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kamaboko

torakris

Well, you open up for questions... I think I will have a trip to Japan this winter. And I want to try 5-10 types of kamaboko. Which ones at the pictures should I pick out, and what are the names of them? Five is fine.

Well, you open up for questions... I think I will have a trip to Japan this winter. And I want to try 5-10 types of kamaboko. Which ones at the pictures should I pick out, and what are the names of them? Five is fine.

Come to Japan just to take a look at kamaboko?? :blink::biggrin:

Since you asked,

1. Chikuwa

2. Sasa kamaboko (or sasakama for short)

3. Tsumire (usually made from sardines)

4. Satsuma age

5. Hanpen

Just what I wanted! :smile:

And it's almost true. My contribution to the crazyness of the world.

Come to Japan just to take a look at kamaboko?? :blink::biggrin:

Since you asked,

1. Chikuwa

2. Sasa kamaboko (or sasakama for short)

3. Tsumire (usually made from sardines)

4. Satsuma age

5. Hanpen

• 2 months later...

I have made little dive in the world of kamaboko now. Favourite; the top kanikama of Sugiyo. But there was some handmade hanpen, and... it's not possible to compare. Just one more little question: Some people use the world Kamaboko to frame this diversity. Some use the word Nerimono. It seems to me. What's the difference?

I have made little dive in the world of kamaboko now. Favourite; the top kanikama of Sugiyo. But there was some handmade hanpen, and... it's not possible to compare. Just one more little question: Some people use the world Kamaboko to frame this diversity. Some use the word Nerimono. It seems to me. What's the difference?

As the word implies, nerimono (lit. something kneaded) is very broad in sense. It actually includes kamaboko, hanpen, satsuma age, chikuwa, etc., etc.

The same goes for almost all other words ending with -mono. The only exception I can think of at the moment is kimono (lit something worn), which in modern Japanese, means only those traditional Japanese garments.

Great pictures of supermarket oden selection Hiroyuki.  :rolleyes:  But, I just can't warm up to chikuwa suffed with cheese.  :blink:  Do you eat this too?

Of course, I do. I like it too. Chikuwa with cucumber sticks in it is also good. :biggrin:

As the word implies, nerimono (lit. something kneaded) is very broad in sense. It actually includes kamaboko, hanpen, satsuma age, chikuwa, etc., etc.

The same goes for almost all other words ending with -mono. The only exception I can think of at the moment is kimono (lit something worn), which in modern Japanese, means only those traditional Japanese garments.

Thank you! Interesting lecture! You're always vigilant. But is it wrong to use kamaboko as a common term that can include the other surimi based products like chikuwa, satsuma age and hanpen?

Thank you! Interesting lecture! You're always vigilant. But is it wrong to use kamaboko as a common term that can include the other surimi based products like chikuwa, satsuma age and hanpen?

When I hear the word kamaboko, I usually associate it with that semicircular surimi product with or without a wooden board at the bottom.

But I found this passage from Wikipedia:

茹でたものははんぺんやつみれであり、揚げたものは薩摩揚げ(西日本では天ぷらとも呼ばれる)などとなる。これらも広義の蒲鉾の一つといえよう。

from here

Rough translation: Those boiled include hanpen and tsumire, and those fried include satsuma age (also called tempura in Western Japan). These can also be called kamaboko in its broad sense.

So, I guess, depending on whom you speak with, you can call them kamaboko.

Thank you, Hiroyuki. And please forget this one: "I have a slight feeling that neither the Japanese or the world take kamaboko/surimi seriously,"

The feeling has gone.

When I hear the word kamaboko, I usually associate it with that semicircular surimi product with or without a wooden board at the bottom.

But I found this passage from Wikipedia:

茹でたものははんぺんやつみれであり、揚げたものは薩摩揚げ(西日本では天ぷらとも呼ばれる)などとなる。これらも広義の蒲鉾の一つといえよう。

from here

Rough translation: Those boiled include hanpen and tsumire, and those fried include satsuma age (also called tempura in Western Japan). These can also be called kamaboko in its broad sense.

So, I guess, depending on whom you speak with, you can call them kamaboko.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if the kamaboko thread now has been stretched close to the limit. But I have heard there is a new book about surim-kamaboko history written by Tsuji Masaji in Suisan Times(in Japanese of course). Does anyone know this or where it is possible to get it?

Must apologise for a slightly off-topic post but the kamaboko with the images inside them reminded me of their traditional antecedents. I remember watching a show where a master confectioner demonstrated the art of preparing a special sweet for particular festival: on a sheet of mochi a red (bean paste?) filling was slapped down the center in one expert fluid motion, but with no recognizable form.

Then the whole was rolled into a cylinder. When cut into slices, the filling had arranged itself into the exact shape of a red flying crane in each slice, the symbol of that particular festival (Boy's Day??). I was stunned. To this day, the virtuosity of that master brings tears to my eyes. Call me a simpleton.

I do hope such treasured experts do not die out, totally replaced by somewhat absurd taffy machines that seem to lack the dignity and simplicity that always has distinguished the Japanese aesthetic.

gautam

Edited by v. gautam (log)

• 6 months later...
I'm not sure if the kamaboko thread now has been stretched close to the limit. But I have heard there is a new book about surim-kamaboko history written by Tsuji Masaji in Suisan Times(in Japanese of course). Does anyone know this or where it is possible to get it?

I think I missed this question of yours.

Why not send an inquiry to Suisan Times?

http://www.suisantimes.co.jp/english/headline.shtml

There is an inquiry email address at the bottom.

Okay, I just bought some chikuwa. When I was in Japan, we were served some simmered kamaboko, including chikuwa, at breakfast, and it was delicious. I was hoping to make this at home but I have no idea what it was. Can anyone help?

What was the kamaboko simmered in? A simple broth, probably a dashi, soy sauce, and mirin mixture of a 15 to 20, 1, 1 ratio (same as oden broth)?