• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soy Milk in desserts

bloviatrix

Desperately trying to remember -- there is a recipe in the Moosewood "Low-Fat" cookbook for an angelfood cake with a coffee glaze. I remember dogearing the corner one year when a friend was considering holding a seder, because "Hey, this would be kosher and I could bring it and wow that would be fun."

I am desperately right now trying to rememeber whether dairy was involved; I remember thinking of it as kosher because of the lack of leavening agents.

FYI, my knowledge of whether this would work or not is limited because I'm a shiksa. :rolleyes:

Just wanted to pop in with a dessert suggestion. Rather than trying to use soy milk substitute ice cream, you might want to try something I picked up from a vegan friend of mine. He would take nuts (cashews usually, but any kind will do) and run them in the food processor to have homemade nut butter. He would then sweeten and flavor it with a little bit of maple syrup or whatever other flavoring he felt like, then freeze it. He'd serve it in scoops like ice cream, and I always thought it was a pretty nice dessert.

I feel your frustration with dairy free desserts. My aunt can't have any dairy and I hate cooking dessert when she's over. Sorbets and fruit ices are fine in the summer, but when the weather gets cold, you don't want to serve those anymore. Anyway, I've served nut butter ice cream with margaraine based molten chocolate babycakes a few times with her and it has always been well recieved.

Oh, and for the person who asked about eggs. Dairy comes from cows. Eggs come from chickens. Eggs are not dairy.

That looks yummy. Thanks for the suggestion.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Welcome to eGullet ik8r2u!

I make a flourless chocolate cake, but I'm getting bored of it. At Passover I served it with strawberries that were infused with a balsamic-vanilla syrup that was a hit.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

And I'm open to other ideas (perhaps I need to start a new thread call desserts w/no diary?).

I'm far from traditional when I cook my meals, so the ideas don't have to Jewish in nature.

I am also a frustrated cook who has had to contend with my personal passion for wonderful culinary delights and a spouse who chooses to maintain a high standard of kashrut at home, for some 30+ years, no less ...

so I began to do a lot of experimenting to create pareve desserts worthy (or semi-equal) to the dairy delights that I treasure ... to that end, I have now found a solution for a quick and delightful summer fruit tart in a shortbread shell ...

basically, it utilizes either a homemade shortbread pie shell which is pareve or, much to my delight, a new product made by Mrs. Smith's, which is crisp and tasty when prebaked and can then be filled with fresh peaches and red tart plums, sliced and laid out in concentric (or one multicolored) large circles in the prebaked pie shell ... add a bit of sugar, margarine, almond extract, lemon juice, tapioca and bake ... covered(with a round of foil or parchment) until the last 10 minutes ... top with glaze of melted fruit jelly (red currant or sieved apricot) and it looks lovely and tastes quite fine ... for a pareve dessert ...

also have experimented with a pareve creme anglaise for cream puffs ... not great but religiously correct ....

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I've been a fluctuating vegetarian/vegan for several years now and still can't bear the taste of soy milk. I use rice milk for everything, because it tastes like the bottom of the cereal bowl (yum!). True, you can't whip it or anything, but at least it doesn't taste like paste.

For dessert, try a tofu cheesecake. There are plenty of recipes on veggie websites (this for example), but beware! You're usually better off going no-bake. The standard recipe calls for tofu, sugar and fake cream cheese mixed in a blender then baked for a while. I've found that the baking process dries out the mixture and makes it mealy and nasty. You're better off just refrigerating it for a couple hours.

I know it's a far cry from condensed milk and cream cheese, but for those of us who don't suckle at the bovine teat it's pretty darn close.