• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Painting kitchen cabinets

tommy

my kitchen cabinets are very 80's, and very dark wood. i'm sure what kind of wood, but it's pretty dark.

rather than wait until our kitchen remodel, which probably won't happen for another 3 years, i'm considering painting the cabinets a lighter color. my neighbor suggests that it's not that difficult, and it is practical. my concern has always been the paint not taking, or chipping and looking like hell after a while.

does anyone have any experience with this?

We painted the cabinets and drawers white a few months ago. Also removed the nasty faux Colonial knobs that always caught sleeves and hems and aprons. It's not stainless steel like the work island but it's better.

A few chips since then. (They take a wicked scrubbing just about daily to remove the ancho dust handprints and spatters of shoyu.) Just spotpaint them out.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

We did this in my sister's kitchen and it was a major pain in the ass and didn't come out particularly well. We just weren't able, with a brush, to achieve a nice even coat of paint that was up to the standard of what you'd expect in kitchen cabinetry. The surface was very resistant to paint so we wound up needing to do a lot of experimentation with sandpaper and primer/sealer. And even after that it wasn't smooth the way it's supposed to be. The cabinets looked more like walls than cabinets in terms of the quality of the paint job. When they do this stuff professionally, they use a sprayer in order to get the even enamel-like coat. The only way I'd ever consider doing something like this again would be if I could take all the doors off and find someone with professional spraying equipment to help me out.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

there are a lot of resources on the 'net for this. i was surprised and pleased. some suggest renting a sprayer, which seems reasonable. all suggest light sanding and priming. has anyone taken this approach? it seems the most logical. although probably labor intensive.

I had a kitchen where the cabinets were originally painted over by the previous owner. It worked well. When we moved in, we had the kitchen repainted a nice creamy white. I took off all the top cabinet doors and had the painter fill all the holes from the hinges. It just looked like a set of white shelves hanging from the soffit-a big improvement. If you are neat and have colorful dishes, it's a nice look. Sorry I can't help you on HOW to do it, but I would encourage you TO do it. He used a brush and I don't recall any problems w/ chipping, but I have no idea how the owner had first prepped the wood. The original wood was some sort of early 1960's hardwood plywood-maple or birch, I'm guessing.

Tommy. My husband is a general contractor and I read him your question.

Bob says this:

There are a number of alternatives.

They are probably finished with a lacquer of some kind. To get new paint to hold, they need to be stripped or sanded. Typically, if you have a painter do them [which Bob recommends here], they can spray them with oil-based enamel or lacquer. Those are damage-resistant finishes that are tough.

Then (he dictates from the bedroom) the other alternative is to do-it-yourself with a brush. They will need extensive prep work so they look good.

Do not use latex paint on cabinets—it peels and doesn't hold up well.

Tommy. My  husband is a general contractor and I read him your question.

Bob says this...

Boils down to: No it's not practical to do it yourself, and yes it is difficult for a non-professional to do well by him- or herself.

--

there are obviously divergent opinions on whether or not this can be done with any degree of success. my neighbor says hers turned out great. FG says his sister's didn't turn out so hot.

i'm looking for more real-world experience, along with possible pitfalls to avoid.

Edited by tommy (log)

Two things are probably going to make all the difference--your painting skill and the quality of paint you use.

If you have a ton of time and can paint without leaving brush strokes, it may be worth your while. You may want to look into melamine paint or some other superhard finish. Invest in a good primer.

Changing all the pulls also makes a huge difference.

And if you don't have the patience, hire a really good painter to do the job for you. It will still be a lot cheaper than new cabinets and the result should look great for the next three years.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

What fresco said.

Other pertinent factors are the type of wood and existing finish as well as the actual cabinet style. A simple shaker door with no beading or moldings will be much easier for the amateur to prep and paint. Prepping the cabinets properly will make a big difference in the results.

Another consideration is the type of look you want when finished. You might not get that prisitine white look with repainted cabinets, but a multi-step process like a glaze or intentionally distressed finish would give you a margin for error (and would be a more interesting look).

It wouldn't hurt to get a few estimates from painters and to ask them some questions about prep work and types of paint, then if you decide to proceed on your own you'll be better prepared.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Having a good painter come in and do your cabinets is an expensive proposition. I think tommy is looking for a cheap DIY stopgap, and I get the impression he's not an experienced amateur painter. Mr. tommy?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Having a good painter come in and do your cabinets is an expensive proposition. I think tommy is looking for a cheap DIY stopgap, and I get the impression he's not an experienced amateur painter. Mr. tommy?

What about Mrs. Tommy, then? :smile:

The most important thing I've learned about painting is how important it is to tape off and prep the area.

I'd pay someone to strip them–I'm fairly confident of my own painting skills. But stripping is something I'm not interested in at all, unless it's say, Brendan Fraser doing the stripping. :rolleyes:

Edited by tanabutler (log)

The most important thing I've learned about painting is how important it is to tape off and prep the area.

I'd pay someone to strip them–I'm fairly confident of my own painting skills. But stripping is something I'm not interested in at all, unless it's say, Brendan Fraser doing the stripping.  :rolleyes:

Don't strip. Sand and prime.

well fat guy, i'm also considering a painter. i have no idea what it will cost, but if it's the smart way to go, i might just do that. i don't paint a lot, but i'm generally good at catching on to things. my general approach to projects is "this isn't rocket science". as long as you have good tools, and quality materials, and some guidance, most projects are manageable. i'm thinking this is one of them.

the DIY approach is being considered for several reasons. one being money, and the other being satisfaction in a job almost-well-done.

Well Mr. tommy you know I'm a DIY-er too, and I have the same attitude, but I'm here to tell you that painting kitchen cabinets is something that -- like hanging a door or refinishing parquet floors -- you should let the pros handle. And if it's just going to be a temporary fix anyway, just forget about it and wait until you do the real renovation. Spend the time renovating a bathroom or something.

You CAN do it and do it well. There's a product called Well Bond that you can first apply and then over that use very good quality milk paint, I think the brand is called Schreuder but I'm not sure thats right. You can use a roller for a paint delivery system but always use a brush to evenly spread the paint. It doesn't have to look like a factory finish, just a nice piece of painted furniture.

You should probably use a nice warm off-white. Don't forget to get new knobs or pulls. Oh, also, are your hinges exposed? If not you're better off and will end up with a cleaner job.

Don't let them scare you off. This isn't so hard.

I concur with cabinet refacing or pro spraying at the least--the extra out-of-pocket v. the years off your life in sanding, priming and painting is a heavy consideration. Dear spouse spent several days and (big money on preservation-qual. paint) on our mantel going the DIY route, and while it is still one of the gleaming beauties of the house, he was only too happy afterwards to have the kitchen cabs sprayed by the house painter. I think it took one of the assistants 45 mins.

I think I get way more satisfaction out of his jobwelldone than he does--he still growls at the mantel with deep hate now and again.

if you do decide to go with a refeacer do remember that many of them sub the job to others so you have to be very, very specific. the last house we lived in they did not specify an important valence above a window and then after 3 month the veneer on the edges began to curl because the glue failed.

ould never suggest this option if you do not know the sub!!!!!(is this emphatic enough?)

instead of totally painting have you thought about pickiling?

you do need to rough the cabinets up but then you whitewash them and work the paint into the finish and wipe off. good if you have a smallish space

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites