• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: fifi - She Who Only Cooks

fifi

Sheesh... I am disappointed. No one picked up on the sausage and biscuit thing other than Nick.

Some people don't recognize art when it's right in front of them. :hmmm:

I am still not getting it :blink::huh:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

The subtly obscene description of the McDonalds sausage and biscuit. Maybe it was too subtle. :sad:

Hmmm... dinner to THINK about.

Also... Who is "IT".

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

That onion thread got to me. I did what Jin said. The onion with the balsamic is now in the DeLonghi and should be out in another hour or so. I will probably be getting nipish by then.

I have continued to much the grapes.

I am now enjoying a glass of merlot.

eeny... meeny... miny... mo...

KatieLoeb... You are IT!

(Shouldn't have mentioned that Cuban pork. :biggrin: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Yeah... I did that!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

The onion was divine. All I had in the house was my last white onion. This was from the same batch of really strong white onions that I used in the salsa. The final result was NOT strong and incredibly sweet. This squares with my experience with onions for onion soup. Sweet onions just don't have the "stuff" for great COOKED flavor. Strong onions, cooked long and slow, develop more sweetness and rich flavor. Keep those sweet ones for eating raw.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

eeny... meeny... miny... mo...

KatieLoeb... You are IT!

(Shouldn't have mentioned that Cuban pork. :biggrin: )

D'OH! Gawdammit! I leave this place for a couple of hours to have a couple of drinks with Herbacidal and look what happens to me! :wink: It's been an interesting day to be sure. I've been cybertagged and finally recognized and promoted for my long suffering and hard work saving the company bucks. :cool: Quite a day of momentous events by anyone's standards!

Someone has to 'splain (As in, "LUUUUCEEEEEY! You got some 'splainin' to doooo.... :biggrin:) the "rules" to me. Am I to report every morsel and tidbit that crosses my lips for a few days? It won't be pretty, and it probably won't be that interesting. I'm game, but I want to make sure I understand what I've been tagged to do. And Fifi - our egg purchasing habits are frighteningly similar.

Clue me in and I'll fill in the rest. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit! :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Clue me in and I'll fill in the rest.  If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!  :raz:

You got it, babe. Just report what you did, ate, thought about eating. At least, that is what I did. You set your own style. I am sure that will be great. At least, you get to tag next. :biggrin: I think you should target one of the guys. (OOPS! That may scare them off.)

Congrats on the promotion. I am sure it is well deserved.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

You got it, babe. Just report what you did, ate, thought about eating. At least, that is what I did. You set your own style. I am sure that will be great. At least, you get to tag next. :biggrin: I think you should target one of the guys. (OOPS! That may scare them off.)

Oh yes - definitely have to start thinking about who to subject to this next. Hmmmm, she said, plaintively contemplating who her victim might be.... :biggrin:

Today was a l-o-n-g day, after a night of insomnia fretting over this morning's meeting. Mercifully, I was well prepared and duly rewarded. And thanks for the props! :blush: After trying to make my bosses look good over the course of my tenure, I'm pretty jazzed about putting a "feminine" spin back on the wine list at Striped Bass, as well as being self-reliant in terms of spending and cost-of-goods percentages. There's no one to condemn but myself at this point. It's all about MEEEE :biggrin: ! Hopefully my frugal nature (built on years of necessity) will bode well for the beverage programs at all three restaurants. Really looking forward to the challenge.

Just getting home from toasting my good fortune with Herbacidal. Had a leftover stuffed cabbage roll as a snack. I'm about to go mix myself another light bourbon & Diet Coke to prevent last night's insomnia from making a repeat visit tonight. No big plans yet for breakfast. Have managed to scam the staff gruel for breakfast (usually scrambled eggs, fruit salad and some form of carbohydrate du jour) yesterday and today by getting in early enough to join the lunch staff. Mondays I'm always in early to do the physical inventory (Like the Dunkin' Donuts guy - "Time to count the bot-tles...."), and today I was in early for my meeting. If I manage to get in early enough to join the lunch staff for breakfast tomorrow it will be a personal record. I'm hoping to shift my hours toward a more "usual" time frame (say 10-6 or so) and keep my evenings to myself to attend wine classes, have some semblance of a social life, read, write, etc. Mercifully, I have the able assistance of one of our fabulous staff, who herself has just been promoted to sommeliere. By dividing the duties between myself during "normal" business hours (to do the meeting with wine reps, ordering, going down to the retail warehouse to get order totals for the accounting folks, etc.) and an active, on-the-floor "sales person" to deal with the customers during dinner service, I hope that we can best serve everyone's needs without having ONE person have to work sixteen hour days six days per week and get burned out as has happened in the past.

I'll let y'all know what tomorrow brings as soon as I get there!

edited for appaling spelling

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

What you need to do is start a new thread titled "Foodblog: KatieLoeb". That way, we know where to go for the latest on Katie. Cheers, dear.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"