• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: fifi - She Who Only Cooks

fifi

(Is there an "e" in the plural of potato or am I showing my age?)

Dan Quayle threw a lot of us into confusion. Don't worry. It's potato and potatoes.

Thank you, Nick. I needed that.

The hash is wonderful. I pulled the pan to the side and cranked up the heat on the meat, put in about 3 tablespoons of the bitter orange juice. It boiled off and glazed the meat. I then mixed it into the potatoes and onions, reseasoned, YUM. I am actually eating this creation.

I have noted that the number of views does not nearly reflect the number of posts on this thread. Are some of you hiding? Avoiding getting tagged? HMMMMMM?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Fifi, Burger King doesn't stand a chance after that piece of fine writing. You have a toke before stopping at Mickey D's?  :biggrin:

My twisted mind needs no tokes. :biggrin:

Nick... It occurs to me that everyone reading this blog is exceptionally clean minded. You seem to be the only one that "got it"... you pervert. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Jinmyo and Fifi:

It really is a lovely memory for me. I'm not certain if I detect a note of sarcasm (what - sarcasm here at eGullet???!!?? Unthinkable!) in your comments, but I really do remember those holidays quite fondly. And NOTHING has ever come close to the smell or flavor of that roasted pig on Christmas Eve in my mother's cousin's back yard. I've tried in vain to reproduce the sensation by bravely trying any and all authentic pernil that I find in Latino communities all over. But nothing is made with the same care and love, and nothing can ever compete.

(Side note - this roast pig worship is something I must hide from the Jewish other side of my family. Remember - I am a proud example of melting pot culture as a card carrying "Jew-ban" girl :biggrin: )

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Then I diced some onion and potato (using my truly excellent knife skills learned here on eGullet).

*tapping steepled fingers together in succession*

exxxxxxxxcellent

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Jinmyo and Fifi:

It really is a lovely memory for me.  I'm not certain if I detect a note of sarcasm (what - sarcasm here at eGullet???!!?? Unthinkable!)

Oh my goodness. I do hope you don't see sarcasm, in this case, in what we have said. I think that your tradition is one of the loveliest things on the planet. Your traditions are respected and revered here. In fact, many of us, somewhat clumsily, try very hard to reproduce those experiences.

edit: to correct original clumsy writing

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Then I diced some onion and potato (using my truly excellent knife skills learned here on eGullet).

*tapping steepled fingers together in succession*

exxxxxxxxcellent

yep... You have touched my soul.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Sheesh... I am disappointed. No one picked up on the sausage and biscuit thing other than Nick.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Good morning...

I have been up for a while getting ready for a teleconference. I won't be going to the office today so I won't be able to get my etherial sausage and biscuit. I warmed up the leftover cup or so of the hash. I considered frying an egg next to it but snarfed it up before I could get there. I am currently munching on some green seedless grapes. I really do love these things. This last bunch is really terrific. They almost crack when you bite them and they are wonderfully sweet.

My coffee is much better this morning. I got a new supply of evaporated milk. I was out the past couple of days and had to use whipping cream. That is good stuff but just not the same. I have this thing for the evaporated milk in my coffee. I am told that it is because that was what I was fed as a bably. I doubt that. I just started using it years ago because I got sick of milk going bad and I hate that powdered stuff. I got used to it then started liking it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

yep... I have done that. And it is very good. The sweetened condensed was on sale so I stocked up, preparing to boil 8 or 10 cans for dulce de leche. Then I noticed I was out of my "moo" for my coffee. BTW... "Moo" is our family name for evaporated milk.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

OOO... OOO... Just remembered the can of dulce del leche in the fridge. I am currently licking a big blob off of a spoon.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

uuuuhhh... I have never had that. I am really intrigued. What the hell is it?

I want some!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

You know how the stores at airports in Florida sell "gift sets" with coconut patties and marmalade and crap like that? This is the only GOOD stuff in those boxes. As far as I know, it's just sugar and coconut, cooked down to gooey and golden perfection. Yes, spoon it right up, mmmmmmmmm. :wub:

This is Pork Skin of the Gods and the most incredible thing you've ever tasted.

Any resemblance to Duck Skin of the Gods? (from Peking duck, of course.) :raz:

Soba

In the Pavlovian reaction it has on me - definitely. :biggrin:

Not as lacquered and carmera-pretty perhaps, but equally crunchy and rich tasting. Not sure I'd wrap it in a pancake or put hoisin on it. It's pretty tasty all by itself. Actually so is the duck skin, so I guess the answer is yes!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Then I noticed I was out of my "moo" for my coffee. BTW... "Moo" is our family name for evaporated milk.

Oh that reminds me, that's the same in my Grandparents' home in Alaska. In coffee and the finishing splash on your morning, lumpy oatmeal.

Then I noticed I was out of my "moo" for my coffee. BTW... "Moo" is our family name for evaporated milk.

Oh that reminds me, that's the same in my Grandparents' home in Alaska. In coffee and the finishing splash on your morning, lumpy oatmeal.

Do you mean they use it or actually call it "moo"? That would be an interesting coincidence.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

yep... I have done that. And it is very good. The sweetened condensed was on sale so I stocked up, preparing to boil 8 or 10 cans for dulce de leche. Then I noticed I was out of my "moo" for my coffee. BTW... "Moo" is our family name for evaporated milk.

Oh yes! Here we can get sweetened condensed in a TUBE!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Lunch... Sliced brisket sandwich, Hellmans Mayonesa flavored with Chiapas style ancho paste, a nice heap of the onions in lime juice, a cold Modelo Negro beer (I am working from home today. I can do that. :biggrin: ), more grapes.

The ancho paste is from Zarela Martinez, Food From My Heart. It is the marinade for the Chiapas-Style Pork recipe. The surprise ingredients are ginger and allspice. It is one of the most delicious things I know of. I keep a jar in my fridge.

We are almost to the end of day three?

Any volunteers?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Yes. It is yummy. I didn't see it here for a long time. It just showed up at our Randalls which is owned by Safeway.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I just consider "store bought" mayo a whole different thing. I have made a lot of different mayo's and none of them taste like Hellmans to me.

I am sure as hell not going to "whip up some mayonaise" to make a tuna salad sandwich for lunch. Hell... I usually don't even have eggs in the house. I buy eggs occasionally and often can't find those cute little packs of six. Then I am stuck with the leftover eggs. That tip about freezing the egg yolks is wonderful. Next time I have excess eggs, I will definitely separate out the yolks and freeze.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"