• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bud

sheffield

The last time I drank Czech beer was in Prague about 10 years ago, and it was pretty good. Much better than most Czech food at the time.

Can't remember the last time I had Bud, if at all.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

American Bud is beer??

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

The two beers aren't even related, despite the name. Budweiser Budvar (Czechvar as sold in the US) is an excellent beer.

See our topic on this:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...060&hl=czechvar

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I was aware that of the American and Czech Budvar--I was joking that American Bud tastes like horse-piss.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I drink Bud, too, from time to time, but you have to admit, the label "King of Beers", may not be totally jutified...

Maybe, I should have added, the horse-piss comment, is my own personal take..

Edited by fresh_a (log)

blog

• 2 weeks later...
the label "King of Beers", may not be totally jutified...

It is the #1 selling beer in the world.

When you hold an election the most qualified person doesn't always the winner - its the one with the most votes (trying hard not to make snide, off topic, political comments here).

Bill Russell

That's kinda where I was headed.  Of course, Bud really does sell the most.

As with any popularity contest, it all depends on who's doing the counting and how fairly the rules are applied. With the advice passed on by HL Menken and PT Barnum under consideration, I'd still have to note that the US must be a fairly large market (not necessarily a large fair market) and that Budvar can't play under quite the same rules as AB. Even when sold as Czechvar, an unfamiliar name, it has to sell at a premium price. Then again that hasn't stopped the success of Corona. Apparently there are fewer people with taste, than there are with excess disposable income. That's really the bottom line for me and a caveat when I look at any popluarity contest or compliation of public opinion such as Zagat's.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.