• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer Styles: Kölsch (Koelsch)

sheffield

• 1 month later...

man!!! :angry::angry::angry: first of all its not "kolsh" its KOELSCH !!!!!

second NOONE in cologne likes kueppers, because it sucks (headache beer)

third, the best koelsch you can only get here in cologne and its called muehlenkoelsch

(second best is reissdorf followed closely by frueh!!)

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

• 6 months later...
never heard of either... where do you find these beers at? (like what country/state)

I'm not sure the stuff is even exported.

Michael Jackson's guide has almost nothing on it, but "The British Guide to German Beer" site seems to have a bit more. It's one of those protected area-specific designations limited to Cologne.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

True Koelsch bier is only found around Cologne. I am not aware of any that is imported into the US. However, many brewpubs and micros (and homebrewers) brew a Koelsch-style ale and usually call them a Blond ale or something like that.

On the other hand, Alt bier (usually associated with Dusseldorf) is available in the US by several brewers.

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Reissdorf Kolsch is imported to the US. I've even found in on tap at Zum Schneider in New York - a great German restaurant and beer bar.

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

what exactly are the characteristics of koelsch bier? a local microbrewery here in boulder has a beer designated as "koelsch" on their list--what genre of beer should i expect if i get that? (which is not to say that it will necessarily be like koelsch in koln.)

i notice above that someone mentioned that in the u.s such beers are called blond ales--so, something like gordon biersch's blonde bock?