• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Restaurant

mikeczyz

Also, Hiramatsu is French cuisine, only it is cooked by a Japanese chef (who has insisted on this point in the interviews he has made). The only michelin-starred Japanese restaurant that I know of is the amazing Yamazato in the Hotel Okura in Amsterdam (kaiseki cuisine).

As for good Japanese restaurants in Paris, try Azabu, Nodaiwa (eel speciality) or Kinugawa (the most sophisticated of the three).

I had a wonderful lunch last summer at Yasube, an inexpensive Japanese restaurant at 9 rue Sainte Anne, Paris 1. My main was magret de canard yakitori. My father got terrific sashimi - and I had never really liked sashimi before tasting some of his that time.

Michael aka "Pan"

I was pretty sure Michael Laiskonis hit right the first time as soon as I saw his post. I know of no other Japanese chef who's drawn enough attention recently to have been suspected of having two stars. There was a fair amount of discussion about the restaurant here. It is resolutely French food, right down to the cheese selection. The chef owns a bunch of French restaurants in Japan, as I recall.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

His restaurant in Tokyo is listed in the Relais & Chateaux guide featuring ""pigeonneau roti au miel, sauce vin rouge liee au foie", among other Japanese specialities.

I imagine you must be talking about Hiramatsu. The food there is not strictly Japanese, however. On the subject of Japanese chefs in Paris, there is an excellent FRENCH restaurant headed by a Japanese chef - Tateru Yoshino - who once trained with Robuchon. It's called Stella Maris. No stars yet, but definitely worthy of one soon...

They've been talking about his first Michelin star for years. Let's hope it happens sometime soon, as both he and his wife are charming. She brings me some of the most amazing fondant au chocolat from time to time. Scrumptious!

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog