• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Everest - Chicago

Special Ed

The one and only time I dined there in March it was a memorable and unique experience. I had the "bargain basement" pre-theater menu. Service was excellent and the food was wonderful. However, I wouldn't say the food there was above the level of MK. The ambiance is what makes it outstanding.

Edited by smazo (log)

I'd like to ask the same of TRU, as I have heard so much-on varient levels-but as I only dined there once, and am hither and thither in the area, I'd love some up to date opinions............knowing as I do that they are just that: opinions!

Thanks!

Have not been to Everest in awhile. The three times I went awhile ago were always pleasing. Some stellar dishes some so-so for the $ and my expectations.

On a side note, a way to make Everest more cost friendly is to wait until LET (lettuce entertain you) restaurants sells their gift certs in late Nov and Dec. When you buy $100 worth of certs, you get a $25 cert free. The free cert is not good at Everest or Ambria (I think some others as well) but we used the free certs for drinks and raw bar items at Shaw's. LET website: http://www.leye.com/welcome.html

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

• 4 weeks later...

Everest is a great place to dine if your looking for a classic Alsacian cooking by Joho, which his being doing ever since he came to US many years ago. Don't go there looking for foams, emulsion, or any new style of cooking. He's good at what he does and that is classic Alsacian cooking. Everest room has biggest Alsacian wine selections out side of Alsace to accomadate his cooking. And also the only Master Sommelier in Chicago to work the room (there one other Master Sommelier in Chicago but he works for a wine distributer).

• 3 years later...
thought I would revive this thread and see if there is any recent news about this Restaurant.  Also, I'm wondering if anyone has tips to help secure or increase the chances of getting a table by the windows.

I had dinner at Everest over the last year and was completely disappointed and Joho was in the house. This was a restaurant that I looked forward to trying for quite some time. IMO, there are much better choices in town.

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

• 2 years later...

If I'm not eating my heart out from Kansas City, I don't know what I'm doing.

There's lievre a la royale on the (tasting) menu at Everest. For the love of game and blood, someone please go and have it and report back!

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

It's been a couple of years since my last dinner there, but everything was spectacular - the food, the view, the service (best I have ever observed anywhere), etc. Definitely still one of the very best restaurants in Chicago, with Joho at the top of his game.

On a side note, a way to make Everest more cost friendly is to wait until LET (lettuce entertain you) restaurants sells their gift certs in late Nov and Dec.  When you buy $100 worth of certs, you get a $25 cert free.  The free cert is not good at Everest or Ambria (I think some others as well) but we used the free certs for drinks and raw bar items at Shaw's. LET website: http://www.leye.com/welcome.html

Actually, the free certificates from LEY are good for their high-end restaurants (Everest, L2O, TRU, Joe's), but only on Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays. Edited by nsxtasy (log)

It's been a couple of years since my last dinner there, but everything was spectacular - the food, the view, the service (best I have ever observed anywhere), etc.  Definitely still one of the very best restaurants in Chicago, with Joho at the top of his game.
On a side note, a way to make Everest more cost friendly is to wait until LET (lettuce entertain you) restaurants sells their gift certs in late Nov and Dec.  When you buy $100 worth of certs, you get a $25 cert free.  The free cert is not good at Everest or Ambria (I think some others as well) but we used the free certs for drinks and raw bar items at Shaw's. LET website: http://www.leye.com/welcome.html

Actually, the free certificates from LEY are good for their high-end restaurants (Everest, L2O, TRU, Joe's), but only on Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays.

Have they gotten around to refurbishing the space yet? The last time I was there (summer of '05), the leopard-print carpet was burning a hole in my eyes.

My meal was quite good. Service was notably good as well.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com