• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most revolting use of condiments

fresco

No one has brought up "Liquid Smoke" !  Vile, vile stuff.

Does anyone use this (Other than Burger King?)

As a condiment?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Hmmmm, by coincidence, I have Spam, Velveeta, kethcup and a food processor in my kitchen.  This could get interesting...

*speaking into my virtual bullhorn*

Toliver, step away from the food processor! :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Being a New Yorker I haven't gotten over the shock of "Seattle's", favorite way to enjoy a "Kosher Corned Beef" Sandwich. It's generally expected that your going to order it on:

Unseeded Rye Bread, Cold with Mayo, Lettuce and Tomato. They don't have a clue what deli mustard is, of coarse if you request it hot it's zapped in the Microwave. Same goes for "Pastrami". Would that get a reaction at "Katz's' or the 2nd Ave Deli. ? It gives me the creeps. In NYC, Hong Kong orHonolulu I never received a order like that. Ever! Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

No one has brought up "Liquid Smoke" !  Vile, vile stuff.

Does anyone use this (Other than Burger King?)

As a condiment?

Nope, not as a condiment.

The last time I used it was to marinate a brisket. I brushed the brisket with the stuff and let it sit in the fridge over night. Then did a slow roast in the oven until it was fall-apart done.

I have never heard before this that it was supposed to be a toxic substance. I certainly would like to see more info on this, assuming it's not an urban legend. Why is it still being sold if it's so bad for us?

Perhaps we should throw it into its own thread and see what happens.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I had a slice in Queens the other day (a Brasilian place), and a little girl put a couple of packets of ketchup and mayo on her slice.  I had to avert my eyes.

ack.

what is it about certain new yorkers and the need for ketchup on everything? i didn't notice until i started uni on Long Island, but it was strange.

btw - call me crazy but the broiled spam, velveeta and wonderbread sandwich kinda sounds good, in kitschy kinda way. (minus the ketchup)

Edited by tryska (log)

The worst I remember had to be my friend's 2-year old. She only eats McDonald's Chicken Nuggets, and she only eats those if she can dip them in brownie mix.

And it has to be brownie mix melted from a frozen dinner.  :huh:

This is a clearcut case of child abuse, to let the tyke eat like that. Hope it's not a really close friend, DaniMrynn.

I have never heard before this that it was supposed to be a toxic substance.  I certainly would like to see more info on this, assuming it's not an urban legend.  Why is it still being sold if it's so bad for us?

Lots here about liquid smoke

Like many things a lot of it is bad for you, but in small doses probably not so bad for you.

The last paragraph of that article where he states that liquid smoke is available in 4 oz. bottles is what I was referring to. We had a bottle of it in my refrigerator some 20 years ago. Let me clarify....it was my mother's refrigerator and yes, it was used as a condiment. I have detailed some of my mother's foul cooking in other threads but I think this says it all. :shock:

I have never heard before this that it was supposed to be a toxic substance.  I certainly would like to see more info on this, assuming it's not an urban legend.  Why is it still being sold if it's so bad for us?

Lots here about liquid smoke

Like many things a lot of it is bad for you, but in small doses probably not so bad for you.

Thanks for posting that straight-forward link!

Liquid smoke is something I rarely use so I guess I won't worry about toxicity anymore when I do use it. And, man, does it make the brisket taste good! :smile:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Sounds to me like either none of you have ever been strapped for $$ or just don't remember being near the poverty line - to an imaginative mind a fridge full of 'condos' is 3/4th of the way towards a meal.

Although those years are long gone - I remember French's mustard and mayo and pickles and mayo sandwiches, cream chees with horseradissh and garlic (yes the one in the jar with oil) too name a few. I had a friend that even invented a dip using mostly condiments and what I fondly refer to as 'cat food' tuna so that I could save money. (dip is now modified and the BEST tailgate dip ever!) But I guess that's off the point.

Re ketchup on eggs - it can be gross - I somtimes like Franks Hot Sauce on eggs but only when they are overcooked.

I remember my brother asking my Uncle the self titled 'gourmet' for ketchup to put on his rare filet mignon(and if memory serves me correct, he also request that my uncle - "put it back on the grill and kill it") - it caused a serious family riff (I'm not joking either) and my brother REFUSED to eat it.

Finalmente - as my 12 yr old nephew says to me - Do you want me to enjoy this or eat it your way?

Regarding hot sauce on eggs, which I enjoy, the way to keep this from turning into a mass of pink stuff from staring at you is to put a couple of dashes on the plate, then lay the eggs on top. It's a little more appetizing.

But don't put ketchup on eggs, hot dogs, or ham sandwiches. That's just vile.

One of the pizza joints where I grew up actually had mustard bottles on the tables. And they only served pizza. Never did work up the nerve for that one.

As a bachelor, I must admit to having meals consisting of saltine crackers and either thousand island dressing or ketchup. I still get cravings for it.

And I think it was Alan King who described going into delis during his early days as a comic and getting a cup of hot water, then adding ketchup to it to call it soup.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Finalmente - as my 12 yr old nephew says to me - Do you want me to enjoy this or eat it your way?

I love that!

After a BIG sigh - that's usually his answer to my "Are you REALLY going to eat it that way??

Granted he only eats about 6 things - including hot dogs- SMOTHERED in ketchup I might add - but he does like good mustard with his ham and will only eat Genoa Salami.

I'm waiting for the 1st time he goes on a date and orders a hotdog or pancakes and the young lady rolls her eyes at him - he'll change his tune fast!!!

Ketchup with eggs, yuck! I was in college whenI first saw this- I remember because it made me so sick (also, a1 "sauce" on anything resembling beef). Th Phillipino habit of fish sauce or vinegar on everything (I always ask, can you taste what you're eating?). Hot sauce on everything. Ranch dressing; it is a chip dip- and a bad one at that! Thousand island dressing (it really is, mayonaise, ketchup, and pickle relish).

Didn't think appleasauce was a condiment?

I once had a roommate who would slather it on tuna from the can, and sandwich the hideous concotion between two halves of a Dunkin Donuts croissant. Every morning. Lunch was two slices of white bread sagging beneath the weight of several spoonfuls of generic low fat mayo and thinly sliced Red Delicious apple. This being standard fare, one can only imagine what her guilty pleasures were.

I shudder to think. In fact, I'll be shuddering all day now that I've triggered the imagery.