• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most revolting use of condiments

fresco

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  Touché!

Seriously though, I don't find peppering before tasting as bad as salting -- although I'm with Rachel on "Let me taste my food first, please!"  I do, however, mutter nasty things under my breath before I make that polite statement.  :wink:

he was kidding.

i have to say, of the people i've known to add salt before tasting food, i've never heard one say "oh my, this is too salty". something tells me that these people like their food more salty than the rest of us, just as i like my food more peppery than most people/cooks. same with hot sauce. i throw it right in the pho or on the pork with basil before tasting. can't be too hot for me. :smile:

HWOE sometimes adds hot sauce before taking a single mouthful. Not at home, nor at new places, mind you :hmmm: , but in restaurants where he already knows what the food is like. That's not a problem. Even adding pepper is not really a problem, because it's rare to find any place that uses enough, and pepper is a good flavor to add. (I too am pro-pepper.)

I think the trouble I have with the salt thing is that salt is both a flavor on its own and a flavor enhancer. I assume that people who add salt without tasting just like the flavor of salt -- not necessarily a bad thing, but not my favorite flavor. As Tommy points out, folks who do that LIKE SALT. I prefer it as a flavor enhancer -- a distinction I'm still trying to get HWOE to understand.

My MIL loves to put large globs of mayo on her pizza. :shock: I find it so completely disgusting. I can't even look at her when she takes a bite of it.

Edited by JLN67 (log)
Life without chocolate is too terrible to contemplate.

My MIL loves to put large globs of mayo on her pizza.  I find it so completely disgusting. I can't even look at her when she takes a bite of it.

Mayo on pizza!?! Wow, that is gross. By the way, what is a MIL?

My MIL loves to put large globs of mayo on her pizza.  I find it so completely disgusting. I can't even look at her when she takes a bite of it.

By the way, what is a MIL?

What you don't want your wife to turn into. :biggrin:

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

MIL = Mother-In-Law

She can be a MILF, assuming she looks like Stifler's mom. :biggrin:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Mayo on pizza!?! Wow, that is gross. By the way, what is a MIL?

Lyrics by Ernie K-Doe, 1961 #1 Billboard R&B Chart:

Mother-in-law, mother-in-law

The worst person I know

She worries me so

If she leave us alone

We would have a happy home

Sent from down below

Sin should be her name

To me they are about the same

Everytime I open my mouth

Then she tries to put me out

How could she stoop so low

I come home with my pay

She ask me what I made

She thinks her advice is a constitution

If she would leave that should be the solution

And don't come back no more

My mother-in-law, mother-in-law.....

My officemate, who is Japanese (born and raised in Japan, although she went to Wesleyan for college) says that there's a Japanese word that was recently coined, just for Japanese people who like mayonnaise (she hates the stuff):  mayular.  Torakris -- this is the closest phonetic spelling in English that I can come up with.  Maybe you can help?

Soba

mayoraas

more on mayo in Japan:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...T&f=19&t=22965&

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 weeks later...

I had a roommate in college who would put ketchup on EVERYTHING. Cereal, desserts, in his beer (I swear). He was from Thailand and my parents thought that maybe that was in the Thai culture, but of course it was not. We once dared him to eat a dog biscuit. He said he would do it as long as he could put ketchup on it. He won the bet. But his worse offense IMHO was when he took a hotdog bun and put three scoops of ice cream in it (his normal snack), but then he topped it off with bologna and ketchup. We were not roommates much longer after that.

Eat with your eyes as much as your mouth. Check out my photography here.

i put ketchup on my eggs. but only if it's a fried egg sandwich.

if it's scrambled eggs, then i like hot sauce.

if they are over easy, i like them with lots of salt and pepper.

i used to think mayo was gross with fries, until i had mayo with sweet potato fries. that was compellingly delicious.

i think ranch is scary, and i think people who slather everythign in ranch are really gross.

He was from Thailand and my parents thought that maybe that was in the Thai culture, but of course it was not.

That behavior is likely what got him kicked out of Thailand :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Okay, this is not a condiment, but I had to add this....

The worst I remember had to be my friend's 2-year old. She only eats McDonald's Chicken Nuggets, and she only eats those if she can dip them in brownie mix.

And it has to be brownie mix melted from a frozen dinner. :huh:

Gads. Messed up my taste buds for quite a while.

A guest at our cabin fixed this sandwich this summer: olive loaf (that oscar meyer processed "meat" stuff with olives in it) on Wonder Bread. One slice of bread slathered with ketchup, the other with Miracle Whip and sweet pickle relish. I think this was worse then the cowboy sandwiches he likes (spam and velveeta in the food processor, smeared on cheap white hamburger buns and broiled, accompanied by ketchup). This is the man that drove 35 miles (each way) to get ketchup when we were out of it at the cabin.

I made him go and eat it outside behind the cabin. I had larb for lunch that day :smile:

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

spam and velveeta in the food processor, smeared on cheap white hamburger buns and broiled, accompanied by ketchup...

Hmmmm, by coincidence, I have Spam, Velveeta, kethcup and a food processor in my kitchen. This could get interesting...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

spam and velveeta in the food processor, smeared on cheap white hamburger buns and broiled, accompanied by ketchup...

Hmmmm, by coincidence, I have Spam, Velveeta, kethcup and a food processor in my kitchen. This could get interesting...

Hm, not so coincidentally the only one of these items I have is a food processor (mostly for grating celeriac).

Toliver, don't do it. Please.

It might all seem like good fun until someone gets hurt.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM