• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most revolting use of condiments

fresco

When I was a little girl, my grandfather put ketchup on his scrambled eggs and I wanted to vomit. It's still the worst.

I actually did vomit, when I was waitressing, and I came in to work hung over, and my customer put ketchup on his scrambled eggs, and kept mushing it in, and mushing it in, and.......well, maybe I would have thrown up anyway.

Ketchup and eggs is truly a gross combination.  :shock: Whenever I see the colors red-and-yellow together I immediately think of ketchup and eggs. So this aversion affects my clothes closet as well. :unsure:

Oh com'on. Yellow and red ain't so bad.

Just think of the revulsions the new green and purple ketchups could conjure up.

bloviatrix, thanks loads for the reference to jam on eggs. It resurrected a memory that was better left repressed.

PJ

PS "Ketchup on Request" was a sign on the wall at your neighborhood White Castle. Only a Philistine would make such a request.

:laugh:

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

I get very discouraged whenever I get served runny loose Tzatziki on souvlaki. Or when Tzatziki is lightly buttered on the souvlaki.

Only a good large blob, of thick, garlicy Tzatziki that oozes in all directions and where it gets on your nose, chin and mixes with the other juices in the souvlaki to run down your elbow should be used.

A1 Steak Sauce on a prime aged steak

See, but I do this, after a fashion . However I put the steak sauce on the side for dipping -- never smother the steak with it though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have Japanese friends who use mayonaise on oknomiyaki, which is sort of a glorified omlet.

Jim

Hey! some non-Japanese do this too! :angry:

I also put it on yakisoba and takoyaki (they all essentially taste the same), it has to be Japanese mayo though :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Just think of the revulsions the new green and purple ketchups could conjure up.

Gah.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

my husband came VERY, VERY close to losing his life when he knocked about a half cup of ketchup onto a lovely quiche lorraine i had just made for lunch one day at his mom's house. :angry:

to quote jinmyo - gak!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Fry Sauce (half mayo, half ketchup) is standard for fries in Utah. (Which is not just another state, it is another planet.)

I once visited a salad bar with a friend who took a bit of everything on the bar--lettuce, garbanzo beans, macaroni salad, chocolate pudding (!)--and covered it with ranch dressing. . She said, "Well, it all goes to the same place."

I am still suffering from Post-Traumatic Lunch Syndrome, flashbacks and all.

sparrowgrass

Agreed, few things turn my stomach quicker than ketchup and eggs. I don't even like ketchup in my fridge. However scrambled eggs with a dollop of tzatziki on the side: now that's fine eatin'. On the other hand, in Prague circa 1991 I met plenty of folks to whom ketchup symbolized America and democracy and freedom et cetera, so much that it had become a favorite sandwich: two nice slices of Czech bread with nothing but ketchup 'tween 'em :blink:

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

to quote jinmyo - gak!!

Ack!

The word is "Gah!"

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Feh!

Meh.

The only good use I've found for ketchup is that it's a handy dandy cleanser for my copper bottom pots/pans.  Brings them back all shiny and new!

Those little packet of "taco sauce" from Taco Hell, (er, Bell, sorry) also do a fine job of copper cleaning. A much better use of it than eating the stuff.

Actually, it's the vinegar and salt that does the trick for both ketchup and "taco sauce."

Ketchup and eggs is truly a gross combination.  :shock: Whenever I see the colors red-and-yellow together I immediately think of ketchup and eggs. So this aversion affects my clothes closet as well. :unsure:

So do you refuse to eat at McDonald's as well?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I should hope so!

I should hope so!

Right, but not because of their color scheme! :wink: