• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most revolting use of condiments

fresco

Mustard, ketchup or relish on hot dogs seems pretty routine to me, but mayonnaise??? The hot dog's so bad for you to start with, who cares what you put on it! (yes, I do occasionally indulge. Wouldn't it be unAmerican not to?)

I 've never understood ketchup on scrambled eggs, but as long as I don't have to eat them that way, who cares?

What I really don't understand is why so many chefs have a thing against ketchup and mustard (unless it's Dijon or such). Yes, I realize it smothers and/or adulterates the exquisite tastes the chef prides him/herself on, but really! I've worked in places where the chef wouldn't even allow ketchup in the house. You know the customer is always right. :wink:

And, it's not really a condiment, but I sometimes like to mix milk with Pepsi or rootbeer (a la Laverne). That seems to gross some people out - not sure why?

Ketchup with eggs doesn't bother me too much, though it was Richard Nixon's favorite combination, a fact I'll just let lie there without further embellishment.

Speaking of Republican presidents, Gerald Ford loves ketchup on cottage cheese.

Think Nixon was the ketchup and cottage cheese culprit:

http://www.foodreference.com/html/fketchup.html

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Is Ranch dressing a condiment?  The Boy puts Ranch dressing on everything--take-out pizza (not my homemade, I'd have his hide), fries, eggs, even garlic bread.

It makes me wonder.

Me too. :unsure:

Ranch dressing or dip on ANYTHING is an abomination. The stuff has no flavor, just a nasty aftertaste. I bought some recently just to see what it was like (never tried it before), and it is disgusting. Nothing I mix with it covers that awful MSG taste. This may become the second time in my life that I threw out supposedly edible (= not spoiled) food.

The only other use of condiments that disgusts me is people salting and/or peppering their food before they taste it.

BTW: when I was little, I loved ketchup on both hot dogs and scrambled eggs. I especially liked to mush the eggs and ketchup together. Thank god, I've long since grown out of both of those. I also have preferred Dijon mustard to ketchup on burgers for a long, long time.

I'll also go with ketchup. I can't stand the smell of Heinz Ketchup. Now, if a restaurant has a nice housemade ketchup, that can be good.

One condiment I grew to hate: Dill on popcorn. I hope to never eat dill again.

Also, a coworker slathers honey all over her fried chicken. I think I'm going to ask for warning next time, because it puts me off lunch. I had a nervous giggling fit the last time she did it.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Think Nixon was the ketchup and cottage cheese culprit:

http://www.foodreference.com/html/fketchup.html

Next time I'll look it up instead of relying on memory! I can't say this changes my opinion of him, though.

As for the Ford-cottage cheese link, I relied on an overheard snippet from the historical trailers Bravo was running during The West Wing the other night.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Yucko:

Mayo on corned beef, or even worse, pastrami

Ketchup on hot dogs

Bottled "taco" sauce

Mayo on french fries

I also hate ranch dressing - at least the bottled kind. I recently tried making my own (think it fresco who posted a recipe) and it was terrific.

I like ketchup on scrambled eggs

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Yucko:

Mayo on corned beef, or even worse, pastrami

Ketchup on hot dogs

Bottled "taco" sauce

Mayo on french fries

I also hate ranch dressing - at least the bottled kind.  I recently tried making my own (think it fresco who posted a recipe) and it was terrific.

I like ketchup on scrambled eggs

Nope, not me.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Yucko:

Mayo on french fries

I used to think the mayo-french fry thing was an unappealing combination until I went to Amsterdam and tried it there. The combination was delicious! However, the mayonnaise there is somewhat different from what I had been exposed to here, the Best Foods/Hellman's type, which I'm not that fond of as a topping for frites. American mayo seems to be more gelatinous or something. Plus the BeneLuxe folk have a myriad of flavors of mayonnaise, which astounded me. I'd never considered curry mayonnaise as a possiblity.

I love salsa on scrambled eggs. I lament the lack of salsa on the tables at breakfast joints here in the east.

And so speaks the Californian of Dutch ancestry. :laugh:

However, the mayonnaise there is somewhat different from what I had been exposed to here, the Best Foods/Hellman's type, which I'm not that fond of as a topping for frites.  American mayo seems to be more gelatinous or something.  Plus the BeneLuxe folk have a myriad of flavors of mayonnaise, which astounded me.  I'd never considered curry mayonnaise as a possiblity.

Yeah... You are right. I will be in the Netherlands in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to get me some. I have approximated Dutch mayo by whisking Hellmans vigorously and adding whatever flavoring. Inexplicably, my kids' favorite was adding a little soy sauce.

Or you could add some Maggi. (OOPS... That is another thread. :laugh: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

oh I could go on for pages about the Japanese twisted sense of condiment usage! :biggrin:

eggs and ketchup taken to a higher level in the dish call omu-raise (omelette rice) which consist of stirfried rice seasoned with ketchup (lots of ketchup) covered with scrambled eggs and topped with more ketchup. :sad:

They also can't decide wether to go the American route or European route with french fries and serve both mayo and ketchup, ying yang style in a small saucer, so the customer can mix the two together

of course this is a country that puts scrambled eggs, corn and mayo on pizza, serves maple syrup with corn dogs, covers pancakes with chocolate sauce and will put any edible substance into a rice ball.

Then there is my husband who often has a snack of a bowl of hot rice topped with mayo, butter, and soy................................. :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Condiments are to be used only by trained professionals.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Then there is my husband who often has a snack of a bowl of hot rice topped with mayo, butter, and soy................................. :blink:

I think we have a winner.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Yucko:

Mayo on french fries

I used to think the mayo-french fry thing was an unappealing combination until I went to Amsterdam and tried it there. The combination was delicious!

[snip]

And so speaks the Californian of Dutch ancestry. :laugh:

Mayo & fries rocks!

Oops, wrong thread. :sad:

In general, I find mayo to be rather unappealing, but not quite to the level of 'revolting.' I don't have the bottled stuff on hand, and rarely make it. About the only thing I use it for is tuna salad.

Ketchup, OTOH, I don't have any particular objections to, but generally only use it with burgers and fries.

And my cup size is 16 ounces. Oops, wrong thread. :smile:

I think we have a winner.

my husband will be so proud! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"