• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most revolting use of condiments

fresco

A few people on the Maggi thread say they find the widespread use of this "enhancer" in various countries quite disturbing and unnecessary.

Having only encountered it at a distance (as far as I know), Maggi doesn't bother me much.

But when I see people putting ketchup on their eggs, it's enough to put me off my food. Nor do I much like to see people pouring huge amounts of HP sauce over everything on their plate, as is sometimes the case here in Canada and in the UK.

What misuse and abuse of a condiment bothers you the most?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Pesto on a corn dog.

(No, I am not done with corn dogs yet. I was about to put my Jack Daniels mustard on my daily corn dog when I spotted this nice jar of pesto that my sister brought me. Had to try it. Now you don't have to.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The one that gets me most is kechup on scrambled eggs. Why, oh why ruin perfectly cooked scrambled eggs with sticky sweet, red goo? Can someone explain this to me?

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

this is something my dad and i love, but i'm sure will gross everyone else out...

peanut butter and ketchup sandwiches, or on crackers.

anyone ill yet?

EWWWW! That's just plain ol' nasty! :sad:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

black pepper ground onto food, i.e. restaurants - fine if it's in the cooking, not fine if it's hovering over my food - it's like a game of dodge ball trying to keep waitrons away form my plate...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

A good juicy hamburger with a slice of red onion cries out for catsup (Heinz only need apply).

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

The one that gets me most is kechup on scrambled eggs. Why, oh why ruin perfectly cooked scrambled eggs with sticky sweet, red goo? Can someone explain this to me?

There's one thing worse than ketchup on scrambled eggs - Jam!!!

I'm queasy just thinking about it. :wacko::blink:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Please do not bastardize your hot dog with ketchup...and if you must, please be far away from me when you do it.

=R=

My Mom puts mayo on a hotdog which is even worse. OK, maybe tied.

Ketchup on a brat is worse than ketchup on a hot dog. Yes, she puts mayo on a brat too.

Is mayonnaise (or was, now that McDs smears it on Big Macs) on burgers a regional thing? I first encountered it in British Columbia, and suspect it may have been something that migrated from California. Not common anywhere else, I don't think. Dutch and Belgians dip their french fries in it, which is a bit strange.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Sorry, I like ketchup on scrambled eggs. I didn't do it that way for a long time but now I do. It makes my fiance feel icky too. Ummm...sorry, but 90% of the food he likes isn't exactly a turn-on for me either.

Isn't it funny that a bunch of people that eat fancy things that are gross to most of the population are put off by the simplest thing? :biggrin:

I never understood the whole mayonnaise-on-fries thing.

Is Ranch dressing a condiment? The Boy puts Ranch dressing on everything--take-out pizza (not my homemade, I'd have his hide), fries, eggs, even garlic bread.

It makes me wonder.

I myself enjoy hot dogs with ketchup. But not on my eggs. Sacre Bleu!

Noise is music. All else is food.

For a Texan, I think this is heresy. I don't like French's yellow mustard on hamburgers. Hellmans is the only thing for me. Actually, I don't like it on hot dogs either. In both cases, all I taste is the mustard which I don't like anyway. I don't really like hot dogs. Well, maybe the occasional chili dog. I have already admitted on that cravings thread that I will very occasionally have to have a somewhat burned hotdog on a toasted bun with mayo. Now THAT qualifies as a gross use of a condiment.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

oddity parade: I've seen this in Hawaii - mayo on hot steamed rice.

no ketchup or mayo on hot dogs.

incidental ketchup on eggs is okay (from hash brown contact).

yes, mayo on fries. better - aioli or rouille on fries

as for mayo on burgers, isn't there a part of the country where the style is just bun, burger, slab of sweet onion and mayo?

~Tad

Ketchup with eggs doesn't bother me too much, though it was Richard Nixon's favorite combination, a fact I'll just let lie there without further embellishment.

Speaking of Republican presidents, Gerald Ford loves ketchup on cottage cheese.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.