• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things Better Frozen

Stone

We know that colder temperatures suppress sweetness, and certainly all the candy items listed above are cloying. Also, having tried it, I can say that good chocolate definitely does not taste better frozen or even refrigerated.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Black & Whites. MMmmmmmmm, black & whites..............

'Splain, please. The big round cookies? chocolate soda with vanilla ice cream (or is it vanilla soda with chocolate ice cream)? vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce? beluga caviar with mashed potatoes? :raz: It's just that a lot of different regions have different "black and whites." :blink:

Girl Scout cookies - Thin Mints or grasshopper cookies

Water - seriously

We keep a few bottles of water in the freezer. Take them out to bring

with on a hot summer day. They'll be just right temp. in no time.

Rootbeer popsicles

And, my mother's homemade coffee ice cream. She used to make it in those metal ice cream trays (without the dividers). It never froze solid - don't think it was supposed to - just a nice slushy, cold and creamy, flavorful consistency.

Chocolate cake with mocha buttercream. Frozen buttercream is really yummy.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

here in hawaii when the lychees are overwhelming you from your tree...we peel them and throw them in the freezer. eating them is like eating sorbet! with a lot less work. same principle as the frozen grapes. i can say the same about our mangoes as well.

here in hawaii when the lychees are overwhelming you from your tree...we peel them and throw them in the freezer.  eating them is like eating sorbet!  with a lot less work.  same principle as the frozen grapes.  i can say the same about our mangoes as well.

Ahhh, the homeland... lychee is brilliant!

~Tad

Yes, Peanut Butter Cups, how could I forget about those?!?! Mmm...

Charleston Chews - haven't had one since I don't know when. But, seems to me that freezing them ruined the fun of biting off a piece and being able to stretch it kind of like taffy, before you slowly chewed it up. I think that one was longer lasting and better flavor by being room temp.