• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC Restaurants That Allow BYOW

tjaehnigen

DC Restaurants that allow BYOW

Amazingly, Galileo, even the Laboratorio del Galileo, allows BYOW with a $15/bottle corkage fee.

Not wanting to re-open a can of worms here, just wondering if someone can direct me to a more recent link (the one above is broken) to a list of DC byobs. Or other suggestions for "destination" restaurants in the DC/Baltimore region with a corkage fee. It's not about the money or the depth or breadth of a wine list, it's about a fine bottle with a sentimental history that deserves something much better than my cooking. Edited by Crackers (log)

Not wanting to re-open a can of worms here, just wondering if someone can direct me to a more recent link (the one above is broken) to a list of DC byobs.

Thanks for bringing this up - I was about to post a similar question.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I very often check with Open Table which will tell you and if the restaurant isn't on open table I call and ask policy because even though a restaurant may allow corkage they may not alow you to open a bottle on thier list etc. so I ask those question over the phone when making the reservation.

The Lab allows corkage at no charge. I think the restaurant charges $15pb. Too many venues inflate wine prices or have poorly chosen lists so I'm a corkage fan though I recognize Mark's POV and if every restaurant had a sommelier with his knowledge and non snooty attitude, I might change my tune. Tipping well is a must if you bring bottles, along with sharing. Don't get me started about wines served at inappropriate temperatures or lousy stemware.

I hear ya Mark. I always bring my own but when I make it to Citronelle your in charge man. I'm really looking forward to that.

Last night I brought a fantastic 02 Rivers-Marie Summa Vineyard Old Vines Pinot to Zola. First of Thomas Brown's new label well done. The wine was better than the meal.

The main reason I like corkage policys it that I can 1) drink some older wine that has been in my cellar for a while so it is at optimal drinking age or 2) drink some of the small production wines that I own that just are not available on a wine list 3) drink wines that I just can't justify spending the cost off the wine list when I have some in the cellar

I'm new to this board, but have known TJ and Fred for a while. We've shared many a fine bottle of wine (or 10 or 14) over nice meals in DC. There is nothing finer than getting together with a bunch of friends and fellow wine dorks over a great meal and tasting lots of extremely good wine. I'll never forget TJ and my son, with 6 glasses each in front of them, trading Monty Python quotes as they got happier and happier.

Edited by dinwiddie (log)

Not wanting to re-open a can of worms here, just wondering if someone can direct me to a more recent link (the one above is broken) to a list of DC byobs.

Thanks for bringing this up - I was about to post a similar question.

That's perfect, thanks!

Now, if only I could figure out how to travel in a "wine-heavy crowd" myself...

Sounds kinda like Nirvana to me.

Kris

We've shared many a fine bottle of wine (or 10 or 14) over nice meals in DC.  There is nothing finer than getting together with a bunch of friends and fellow wine dorks over a great meal and tasting lots of extremely good wine.

But where??? :biggrin: Edited by Crackers (log)

If you want to talk wine and join in on the DC Cru Offline festivities, go to www.vinocellar.com

Scroll down to the offline section and look for the DC Cru outings we have many and they are a blast.

We've shared many a fine bottle of wine (or 10 or 14) over nice meals in DC.  There is nothing finer than getting together with a bunch of friends and fellow wine dorks over a great meal and tasting lots of extremely good wine.

But where??? :biggrin:

BTW Fred, that Whispering E was awesome.

If you want to talk wine and join in on the DC Cru Offline festivities, go to www.vinocellar.com

Scroll down to the offline section and look for the DC Cru outings we have many and they are a blast.

BTW Fred, That Whispering E you brought Saturday was absolutely awesome. WOTN Thanks for bringing it.

Check it out Fred AND dinwiddie are in the house. Woo-hoo! Looking forward to the next coupla Crü outings.

Of course, TJ and Fred, you won't be at the next Cru dinner and OF COURSE, the dinner at Komi is taking place while the wife and I are in Maine. Youse guys better write up good notes.