• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ben & Jerry's Topic

SteveW

Starting about a month ago, I inquired at my local Ben & Jerry's here in Montreal, what happened to the Coffee Heath Bar Crunch flavor(my favorite)? She told me it has been discontinued. Is this absolutely true? Coffee Heath Bar Crunch is still listed as a flavor at the Ben & Jerry's website. My friend in Asia tells me, she thinks it's still available in Hong Kong(she checked up on it fairly recently). When I contacted the Ben & Jerry's Montreal outlet again for more clarification, the person on the line gave me more details. She told me, it was a very popular flavor in Montreal, but wasn't that popular in the US. That in Canada, the Ben & Jerry's Canada plant now makes something similiar called Coffee Toffee Crunch. However Coffee Toffee Crunch is only sold in supermarkets for Canada(don't think it's available in the US). It's not made availabe to Ben & Jerry's outlets anywhere. Coffee Toffee Crunch is not listed as a flavor on the Ben & Jerry's website. Hope somebody can fill me in.

--------------

Steve

Coffee Heath Bar is still in supermarkets here in Philadelphia. I like it very much. It amazes me how they make the PB filled fudge covered pretzels in Chubby Hubby. Another favorite is Half Baked. Have you had the Oatmeal Cookie? It needs raisins.

Lisa

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

After I stopprd trying to gain weight for the rowing team by sharing a quart of milk and a quart of Haagen Dazs for dessert every night with my roommate (funny how it never worked then and the weight comes wothout effort now), I went years without eating much ice cream.

Then one day my girlfriend brought home a quart of B&J's Heath Bar Crunch...Man, I loved that stuff. We used to track the big pieces in the container, and if one of them disappeared without "sufficient" ice cream also disappearing, there would be a scene -- it was the moral equivalent of eating the middle out of an orea and putting the cookies back.

But we survived. We had the local Ben and Jerry's make the cake for our wedding.

Mostly I make my own ice cream now, but I still keep my eye out for Heath Bar Crunch, and am always a little bummed out (as Jerry might say) when it's not on the shelves.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

When I was in college I ate a pint of Ben & Jerry's every day. I went to "Ben & Jerry's University" (the University of Vermont). We could buy Ben & Jerry's . . . factory seconds . . . in the campus bookstore . . . and pay with our UVM meal cards . . .

I was also swimming competitively at the NCAA level. So I was at rough equilibrium. Then I stopped swimming. But I kept eating the ice cream. Talk about the Freshman Fifteen!

Years later, when I was working in publishing, I was on the marketing team for Ben & Jerry's book. We went up to Vermont to meet with them and the first thing I did upon meeting Ben was I started yelling at him for causing all that weight gain in college. He must have thought I was nuts. Or maybe he had heard it all before. Little did I know then that I might someday be able to sue. :biggrin:

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

The person at Ben & Jerry's Montreal told me, that during a regional meeting, the Ben & Jerry's people told employees of the company that Coffee Heath Bar Crunch is not made anymore(including in the States).

-------------

Steve

I read somewhere recently (here?) that B&J literally saved Heath Bars from extinction. At least in the US. Marcel D has a cookie variation of the coffee kind that's pretty good. I just called the local scoop shop and they still carry it. She said she wouldn't know if it was being discontinued until after it happened, though.

The person at Ben & Jerry's Montreal told me, that during a regional meeting, the Ben & Jerry's people told employees of the company that Coffee Heath Bar Crunch is not made anymore(including in the States).

-------------

Steve

This information is not confirmed by the company's Web site, which lists this flavor as active.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Contact us by phone:

Give us a call at 802-846-1500 between 9:00 and 5:00 EDT - Monday through Friday. Ask for Consumer Affairs.

Somebody with a lot of extra cell-phone minutes get to the bottom of this tomorrow.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Bovinity Divinity was discontinued a long long time ago. It was my favorite flavor, and i was very upset. Ben & Jerry's ice cream has not been the same since.

I'm not sure if the question is is it available in Canada, or is it available anywhere, but I just went grocery shopping tonight and got some in Massachusetts, USA. If I had a scanner I'd post a pic of it :biggrin:

My initial question was, is it available anywhere? I was told by my Ben & Jerry's outlet, that it was discontinued entirely(not available in Canada, US, or any other country).

I'll take the FG suggestion, & give Ben & Jerry's Consumer Affairs a call later today. Although by responses here, it seems to be still available in many parts of the United States.

-------------

Steve

Just called Consumer Affairs. Finally got the answer. Coffee Heath Bar Crunch has been discontinued in bulk, but is still made in pints(this applies to anywhere in the world). Meaning Coffee Heath Bar Crunch is not available anymore in Ben & Jerry's scoop shops, but is still available in supermarkets. In Canada, in certain markets, Coffee Heath Bar Crunch, is known as Coffee Toffee Crunch(sold in pints). So there's the answer.

------------------

Steve

I liked the White Russian, which they stupidly discontinued years ago.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I miss the chocolate ice cream with peanut butter cookie dough. That was dinner for about two weeks running in college. The list of discontinued flavours on the website is really interesting because there are many many things I never saw. Some testing must be regional.

Just called Consumer Affairs. Finally got the answer.  Coffee Heath Bar Crunch has been discontinued in bulk, but is still made in pints(this applies to anywhere in the world). Meaning Coffee Heath Bar Crunch is not available anymore in Ben & Jerry's scoop shops, but is still available in supermarkets. In Canada, in certain markets, Coffee Heath Bar Crunch, is known as Coffee Toffee Crunch(sold in pints). So there's the answer.

------------------

Steve

Thanks much for doing that research.

It's also worth noting explicitly that Ben & Jerry's is not all manufactured in Waterbury. In fact Waterbury isn't even the largest plant anymore -- I think that would be the one in St. Alban's. But they manufacture all over, as far as I know, and if you live somewhere far from Vermont you most likely get your Ben & Jerry's ice cream out of a regional plant that may not produce the full product line.

Bovinity Divinity was discontinued a long long time ago.  It was my favorite flavor, and i was very upset.  Ben & Jerry's ice cream has not been the same since.

Bovinity Divinty was served at an all you can eat charity fundraiser last weekend in Philadelphia! Maybe they were cleaning out the freezer for the event.. LOL. BTW I am let down by the brownie batter ice cream.

Lisa

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.