• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ben & Jerry's Topic

SteveW

My favorite flavor is the dearly departed Dastardly Mash. Chocolate ice cream, with raisins, pecans, and slabs of chocolate.

They just opened a scoop shop in my neighborhood. Whoo-hoo!! :wub:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I never get tired of Chunky Monkey. For years I took it for granted. Then one night I realized just how great it was. It was a hot summer evening in 1996, at the Central Park Zoo. It was my law firm's summer outing. (Some of you were there, and you know who you are!) My date was a woman I'd been interested in for years, but there wasn't nothin' happening there. The event was hot, boring, long. Then they served Chunky Monkey. It made my night. I'll be forever grateful.

They had a "smooth" gimmick a few years ago. I thought White Russian was great-- it had coffee and something else in it. There was also a caramel "smooth" flavor that I thought was pretty darn good, but I guess no one else did.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Has anybody tried any of the "core" flavors? They sound like they wouldn't work to me. But maybe I'm wrong.

I was addicted to the S'mores low fat ice cream once. It was awesome, chunks of graham crackers and a marshmallow creme swirl in dark chocolate ice cream. There were also S'mores ice cream bars, two types: one was like an ice cream sandwich with graham crackers and stripes of chocolate and marshmallow ice cream, dunked in chocolate. The other was chocolate and marshmallow ice creams on a stick, dunked in chocolate that was studded with graham cracker bits. The bar was better. I miss both of these terribly.

I believe Caramel Sutra is a 'core' flavor which I adore -- can't get enough caramel and the core is to die for.

A neat trick (for those who may not know): Working Assets Long Distance company gives out Free Pints every month. It is slightly complicated - you have to get referred by another WALD customer or if you switch over, you have to ask for the free pints. It lasts for twelve months and the certificate comes in each month's bill. All that, AND it is really cheap Long Distance. Ever few years I cancel my Long Distance and go back, just to get those certificates!

Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz Buzz!!! -- coffee ice cream with espresso bean fudge chunks. Yippee! :biggrin: Available only by the scoop -- fortunately (and dangerously) just ½ mile away at my local supermarket's "café."

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz Buzz!!! -- coffee ice cream with espresso bean fudge chunks. Yippee!  :biggrin: Available only by the scoop -- fortunately (and dangerously) just ½ mile away at my local supermarket's "café."

Buy it while you can -- the last time I checked the B&J's website it was discontinued... :sad:

A fav of mine as well!

I'm addicted to the Smores flavor now. Another favorite which I rarely see any more is the one with the white and dark cocoloate cows. I can't seem to rember the name of it though.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

ha! i was just talking about ben & jerry's on my blog.... the euphori-lock is def the best thing about b&j. next to cherry garcia, of course.

college essentials

pint lock.jpg

sure, i thought to bring a bike lock. i even brought a master lock for the gym. but did i think to bring a euphori lock? triple time no. and, as we've discovered, a euphori lock could be the most important one. a euphori lock is like a bike lock for your pint of ben & jerry's.

mini fridges are a little weak in terms of freezing power, so if you really want to keep a pint solid, you have to keep it in the hall freezer. then, of course, you can't sleep at night knowing your chubby hubby is definitely not safe. ha! problem solved with pint lock. just clip it on, rest easy, and eat ice cream for breakfast.

"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers

timoblog!

Another favorite which I rarely see any more is the one with the white and dark cocoloate cows. I can't seem to rember the name of it though.

Bovinity Divinity. That was good.

I tried the peanut butter core one and was very disappointed. Gave the rest away, in fact. It just tasted like a slightly off caramel.

problem solved with pint lock. just clip it on, rest easy, and eat ice cream for breakfast.

I love it. Perfect for Christmas stockings. :laugh:

And the Coconut Almond is available at our local scoop shop, but I've never seen it at the grocery. It's really good too. :wub:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Looking at that list reminded me of The Full Vermonty - Maple Ice Cream with Maple chunks.

But better Maple Chunks than in the McGriddle.

One of my absolute favorites! I bought it two at a time until it was gone!

I used to love Chubby Hubby too. But I had a roommate that kept picking out the pretzel chunks. That was truly irritating. :huh:

Has anyone tried the Uncanny Cashew flavor yet? I bought some, but have not had a chance to dive into it yet.

Peanut Butter Cup.

After Chunky Monkey, this was probably my longest obsession. Peanut butter ice cream with reall peanut butter cups. I loove peanut butter icecream, and BJ does a great job. Smooth and creamy with a peanut butter flavor that way more than an after thought. And those cups! Massive chunks o' cups that could bring down the Titanic. Frozen hard, but not solid, and creamy goodness.

I remember the chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream, but that was a little much for me. I find chocolate based ice creams too rich to handle too many additions (although terrific on their own). Has BJ ever done peanut butter and banana ice cream? Mmmmm.

Ben & Jerry's ice cream is like the God of ice cream. It's that good. I had some flavor in a bar, but I forget what the flavor name is. I think I was only concentrating on how great the taste is. :wink:

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.

Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz Buzz!!! -- coffee ice cream with espresso bean fudge chunks. Yippee!  :biggrin: Available only by the scoop -- fortunately (and dangerously) just ½ mile away at my local supermarket's "café."

We got this in pints at collge; definately a fav for late night study sessions. :biggrin: Two other favorites are coffee heath bar crunch & NY Super Fudge Chunk. But they changed from real chocolate to "chocolatey" pieces at some point, and they're not as good. Still, my current first pick is Everything But The... I love all the different stuff in it.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Wavy Gravy...

I have their Wavy Gravy t-shirt. In fact, my family had a portrait taken of the 4 of us wearing Wavy Gravy t's.

I applied to be CEO years ago but didn't make the cut, even though I sent them a photo of us wearing the t-shirts... but I got a great rejection letter whichI framed ( and is now hanging in the guest bathroom .)

Beat THAT, you Ben and Jerry afficionados!!!!

For all you New Yorkers, Ben & Jerry will be making an appearance at the scoop shop on the corner of Broadway and 104th on September 17th to celebrate the store's grand opening. They'll be giving away FREE ice cream!!

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Buy it while you can -- the last time I checked the B&J's website it was discontinued... :sad:

A fav of mine as well!

Hmm. What was the URL? I saw it just today here.

And from Allura:

We got this in pints at college; definately a fav for late night study sessions.

Perhaps I should be glad B&J wasn't around when I was in college. I didn't need to gain any more weight than I did eating late-night pizza and tuna subs plus cafeteria food. My waistline also is grateful it's not sold by the pint any more (at least according to their web site).

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I applied to be CEO years ago but didn't make the cut, even though I sent them a photo of us wearing the t-shirts... but I got a great rejection letter whichI framed ( and is now hanging in the guest bathroom .)

Beat THAT, you Ben and Jerry afficionados!!!!

Any chance you could share this rejection letter with us?

Okay, I blame you all for this...

I'm trying to make ice cream today.

About ten years ago, when I was still in college, Ben and Jerry's had a contest/sweepstakes tied in to their "Vermonster" sundae in the scoop shops. The premise was, if you went into a scoop shop, and either by yourself or with others, managed to polish off an entire Vermonster sundae, your name was entered into a drawing for the grand prize -- a tour of the plant in Vermont.

Now. The Vermonster, for those of you unaware, is enormous. They START with 20 scoops of ice cream, and then they start piling on the add-ons (I think it's something like four sliced bananas, a cup of hot fudge sauce, a cup of butterscotch sauce, two bags of M&M's, four crumbled-up brownies, etc.). They bring it to you in a bucket.

Some friends and I all ventured down to the scoop shop near our dorm to compete. We figured with six of us it would be no problem, and we were even talking about going out for tacos after or something. It took us 2 hours to get through the thing; two people dropped out and had eaten their fill after about ten minutes, a third person dropped out after 45 minutes. The three of us left over finally polished it off though -- even though at the end we were reduced to trying to make it melt and adding water to thin it out so we could drink it with straws. But we finished it, added our names to the drawing, and then -- tacos be damned -- we waddled back to the dorm, retired to someone's room, and sat around staring at the wall for about an hour. One of us kept the bucket -- she uses it for storage (she buys the ten-pound bags of rice and stores it in that).

None of us got the grand prize. But - what we DIDN'T know is, each individual scoop shop was holding their own drawing for their own winner, and THOSE were the names sent in for the grand prize drawing. The winner in each shop, in addition to getting entered in the grand prize drawing, also received an apple basket containing a Ben and Jerry's t-shirt, about $100 worth of various Vermnont food products, and a copy of the Ben and Jerry's cookbook.

And I won THAT. It had maple syrup, a jar of Ben and Jerry's own hot fudge, soda crackers, Vermont cheddar cheese, some maple sugar candy, some kind of locally-produced (to B&J, anyway) chili and salad dressing, and the cookbook. So I now know how to MAKE Dastardly Mash, Mint Oreo Cookie, Chunky Monkey, and all that. I also have the exact recipe for the Vermonster, the exact recipe for the chocolate chip cookie dough used IN chocolate chip cookie dough, and a few other sundae ideas (including one, called the "Charoses Special," which I plan on sprining on my SO for Rosh Hashanah).

So all this talk has made me dig the thing out. I'm trying for the peach today, I think...

Edited by Callipygos (log)

As a result of this thread, I went to Ben and Jerry's the other day and simply had to have: coffee coffee buzz buzz, chocolate brownie fudge something or other, and cherry garcia. Together, in a cup. (A big cup.) Oh my, that was good. :smile:

And now to mix metaphors (or threads, if you will):

I was walking around as I ate the ice cream, and all of a sudden I looked down and I noticed driblets of ice cream all over my pants. Completely bypassed my shirt (and yes, I am fairly well endowed) and went straight to the pants. I guess it's because I was standing up and walking around? Someone else can figure out the physics of it all. The ice cream was great. :rolleyes:

Has anyone tried the "brownie batter" flavor?  Same principle as chocolate chip cookie dough, but different dough.

I have looked everywhere for that flavor, but I guess the cool flavors don't want to come to rural Nebraska, my exile for the next year or so :wacko: (really, it's not bad, no offense to anyone from here!)

My favorite flavor is Chubby Hubby. I also liked the Entangled Mints from a few years ago. I was looking at the graveyard...why, oh why are so many of the flavors in the dearly departed some combo of mint and chocolate????

Edited by ErinM (log)

Erin

"American by birth, Irish by the grace of God"