• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ben & Jerry's Topic

SteveW

My housemate had a pint of B&J Coffee Heath Bar Crunch in the freezer just last week. I'm here on Long Island. Don't know where he bought it, although I do remember him saying that he sometimes shops at an oddly named supermarket called "Meat Farms" in Port Jefferson. I had a taste, and yes it was delicious. I'd buy it again. SteveW, I hope you find some soon!

I miss the B&J flavor "Wavy Gravy." Has anyone seen it lately?

Wavy Gravy has been discontinued as well ... a long time ago. They've discontinued so many damn good flavors. Remember the Peanut Butter Cup ice cream ?? Rainforest Crunch ??

I'm hungry for ice cream now.

My housemate had a pint of B&J Coffee Heath Bar Crunch in the freezer just last week.  I'm here on Long Island.  Don't know where he bought it, although I do remember him saying that he sometimes shops at an oddly named supermarket called "Meat Farms" in Port Jefferson. I had a taste, and yes it was delicious.  I'd buy it again.  SteveW, I hope you find some soon!

I miss the B&J flavor "Wavy Gravy."  Has anyone seen it lately?

Personally I have never seen B&J Coffee Heath Bar Crunch in Montreal supermarkets. However, Consumer Affairs & a Ben & Jerry's location in Montreal, say there's a Coffee Heath Bar Crunch offshoot called Coffee Toffee Crunch which is available only in Canada(made by Ben & Jerry's Canada), that's virtually the same. I see at the Ben & Jerry's website, in the Flavor Graveyard section(discontinued B&J flavors), Coffee Toffee Crunch is listed among the departed flavors!!!?? I haven't seen Cofffee Toffee Crunch yet in Montreal stores, but I have a coupon for it.

--------------

Steve

Can anyone tell me the flavors in wavy gravy? I forget... it was so long ago.

Lisa, if I remember correctly, it was something like hazelnut ice cream with chocolate ribbons and brazil nuts through it. I liked the nut and chocolate combo.

I once met Wavy Gravy. Nice guy. He also spoke at a number of protests I attended in Berkeley.

Erin, I loved Rainforest Crunch, too!

I miss Double Rainbow French Vanilla too. Tastes like frozen custard. I haven't seen it here on the east coast since I left CA.

I miss Double Rainbow French Vanilla too. Tastes like frozen custard. I haven't seen it here on the east coast since I left CA.

Double Rainbow is available in NYC. You can get it at more upscale markets. I picked it up at Healthy Pleasures

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

My favorite B & J flavor is Dastardly Mash - chocolate with nuts and raisins. They discontinued it in the early '90s, brought it back briefly as a "nostalgia" flavor in the late '90s. I'm hoping they'll revive it in the near future.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

My favorite B & J flavor is Dastardly Mash - chocolate with nuts and raisins.  They discontinued it in the early '90s, brought it back briefly as a "nostalgia" flavor in the late '90s.  I'm hoping they'll revive it in the near future.

Damn! I have never seen that. It would be great. Like a Cadbury Picnic bar maybe. Love those. Good thing they're hard to find in the US.

• 1 month later...

I'll start this thread to discuss the various, joyous flavors of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. O.k., maybe you don't like them. Maybe you think others are better. Maybe you're right. Discuss that some where else.

My first BJ love was, of course, Cookie Dough. How obvious. How genious. Since then I've passed through many "favorties" of the moment (I'm fickle when it come to BJs): Mint Oreo; Cherries Garcia; Chunky Monkey; Chunkey Monkey; (I really liked Chunkey Monkey); etc. ad infinitum. Let's discuss these treasures.

To start:

Oatmeal Cookie Cruch.

Another wonder of simplicity. Sweet Cream Cinnamon Ice Cream with Chunks of Oatmeal Cookies & Fudge. The first bite is a tender spoonful of sweet creamy ice cream, with a gentle undertone of cinnamon. Not spicy, not stingy, not hot. Just a beautiful mesh of sweetness and cinnamon. Then there are the cookies. Soft, chewy, oaty, present in large chunks throughout the single-serving pints. And the fudge. Big rectangular blocks of chocolate, ever present but not overstated.

A glorious concoction.

My favorite all time was only available one summer - the Peanut Butter and Jelly flavor.

My wife's favorite has also been discontinued - Dilbert's Totally Nuts.

I lived in Montpelier for about six months and at the time the convenience store down the road from my apartment had a freezer case of factory seconds for I think $1.50. These were cartons that either weighed too little (too much air in the mixture - OK, but still better than a lot of ice creams) or that weighed too much (too many fillers i.e. candy, nuts, caramel, etc.). Some of the weighed too much cartons were the among the best I've ever had. Is there really such a thing as too much candy and caramel in ice cream? :smile:

Bill Russell

Wavy Gravy, hands down.

My cousin is opening up a franchise in September, and we're invited to the opening. Going to travel up the coast with my kids for free ice cream and because we get to meet Ben & Jerry :laugh:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

My cousin is opening up a franchise in September,

That's something I don't understand. You can go to the BJ store at Haight/Ashbury and get two medicore scoops for $2.75, or you can walk down the block and get a pint for $3.50. All together now: "Duh."

The Scoop Shops here sometimes have flavours that the stores don't, so that's one incentive. You don't have to compromise on a flavour. And you don't eat a whole pint at a sitting. But no, it's not cost-effective.

The "too heavy" pints would be glorious. I'm in the no such thing as too much stuff camp. Lived off the peanut butter cookie dough (in chocolate ice cream) one summer in college. For dinner, not in addition to. Never saw the pb&j. Sadly.

The oatmeal cookie is definitely the current favourite, for all the reasons given.

That's something I don't understand. You can go to the BJ store at Haight/Ashbury and get two medicore scoops for $2.75, or you can walk down the block and get a pint for $3.50. All together now: "Duh."

Oh, I agree. Complete rip off. But that won't stop me from getting a free scoop :wink:

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I love the B&J concept of two flavors twisted into one. My favorite's the Everything But The... Chocolate & Vanilla Ice Creams with HEATH® Bar Chunks, White Chocolatey Chunks, Peanut Butter Cups & Chocolatey-Covered Almonds.

Also visited their web site to check the name of the flavor and saw they have new Organic Strawberry ice cream. Anybody tried it yet?

Ben & Jerry's Flavor Graveyard is huge... check it out:

Neil

Edited by plax (log)

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.

Has anybody tried any of the "core" flavors? They sound like they wouldn't work to me. But maybe I'm wrong.

I was addicted to the S'mores low fat ice cream once. It was awesome, chunks of graham crackers and a marshmallow creme swirl in dark chocolate ice cream. There were also S'mores ice cream bars, two types: one was like an ice cream sandwich with graham crackers and stripes of chocolate and marshmallow ice cream, dunked in chocolate. The other was chocolate and marshmallow ice creams on a stick, dunked in chocolate that was studded with graham cracker bits. The bar was better. I miss both of these terribly.

Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but I knew I had not totally failed as a parent and food guide when my son returned fron camp last week.

The big event of the Summer was a trip to the Ben and Jerry's factory - postponed a couple of times due to rain, but not cancelled due to the vocal intervention of the parents.

Upon returning home my son gave me a present: a tie died Cherry Garcia shirt!

He not only makes a mean vinagrette for a 12 year old, but he knows how to get a boomer where it counts.

Upon returning home my son gave me a present: a tie died Cherry Garcia shirt!

He not only makes a mean vinagrette for a 12 year old, but he knows how to get a boomer where it counts.

This child must have EXCEPTIONAL parents. :biggrin:

Cheery Garcia... Hands down.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Mmmmmm, Wavy Gravy ...drooling...

Current favorite is Peanut Butter Cup, but I'm trying to stay off sugar these days (it makes me fat and irritable). My new mission in life is to replicate the density and flavor of Ben and Jerry's in homemade sugar-free ice cream. :smile:

I'm fixated on Peanut Butter Cup - peanut butter flavored ice cream with big peanut butter cups! Food of the gods! Of course, I'm more interested in the peanut butter cups, so I have to dig through the pint to gouge out the candy bits, leaving a lot of plain ice cream with big craters in it.