• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lovely Vegemite

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread up since I have been gifted with a large jar of Vegemite by a grateful Aussie who I've been gifting baked foodie items from my kitchen. I love the stuff! Now I'm off to seach for recipes for it at its website -vegemite.com.au

How does one store Vegemite? Do I stick it in the fridge or what?

*Off to make another Vegemite-cheese toast sandwich.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

How does one store Vegemite? Do I stick it in the fridge or what?

Just leave it in your pantry. No nned to put it in the fridge as it never goes off.

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Thanks Taubear. It does seem to spread better on toast rather than on regular bread. I could imagine it getting hard in the fridge.

Just had another Vegemite cheese toast sandwich for brekkies today.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

my introduction to vegemite was in NZ, a friendly nzlander gave us a jar and couldn't wait for our reaction. Working in a bio laboratory it immediately reminded me of my lab experiments, yuck. However, I think I that using it in stews, as mentioned above, is a great idea. It is high in glutamates, a flavor enhancer. In fact the food industry likes to write yeast extract instead of MSG because it sounds healthier (I don't remember where I read that).

Cheers, Sarah

http://sarahmelamed.com/

• 1 year later...

Kraft just introduced myfirst Vegemite. Formulated as a gateway drug for young children. It apparently has added vitamins B6 and B12, and half the salt of the original. I guess selling low salt food to adults is out of the question here.

I bought a jar of MightyMite, because it has less salt than Vegemite, but I still think it is awfully salty. So maybe myfirst would be a suitable gateway for foreigners and transplants, too.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finishing my first vegemite toast. Didn't put cheese on (will try that next time) but it's on bacon and cheese bread. I think I put too much on as I'm getting very thirsty and the coffee isn't helping.

Good to know that you can use it in cooking. I use Bovril in my cooking at times (stews, soups, etc.) when I have that on hand. But that stuff is so darn expensive here so vegemite will have to do.