• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bark-like substance

tommy

my friend showed me some sort of bark-like substance that came in his dish of TVP and some other stuff (this was the first time i'd heard of TVP).

this bark really didn't have any flavor at all, and it was more brittle than chewy. perhaps it had flavor at the beginning of the dish, but certainly not when i tried it hours later.

any idea on what this could be?

Cinnamon as Simon points out... but could also be Drumsticks..

What did your friend order? Depending on that, our search for that bark could be easier. Drumsticks are less hard and fleshy and do have some flavor, especially when eaten in India.

We have to use not so great fresh ones, or not too fresh canned ones in NYC.

http://waltonfeed.com/self/tvp.html

Here we go tommy, all your questions answered.

You can find these in Health food stores. In Indian stores look for Nutri Nuggets or Notrella.

Good sourse of fiber and rich in protien these vegetarian granules( come in verying sizes) need to be softened up in water. I like them sometimes for their thexture, bulk and their ability to ( almost like a sponge) soak up the sauce and flavorings.

Edited by BBhasin (log)

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

it didn't have any flavor of cinnamon. i assume that cinnamon, even after being cooked for some time, would still have some flavor (although i could be totally wrong).

and, it was flat, not like the cinnamon sticks that i'm familiar with. is cinnamon bark different than what i'm used to?

this dish was prepared for him by a lady who cooks for people in his office. in other words, there's no menu, and i don't think she speaks english very well. all i know is that it was some sort of TVP dish, with slight cinnamon and clove notes, as well as some vinegar and what he assumed to be ghee. and i think i saw a curry leaf in there as well. sorry i can't be more specific.

Cassia

i just googled an image of this. sure looks like it could be it. do we have this in the states?

edit: did the same for "cinnamon bark". same idea.

i'd google "drumstick", but i think i'd get a lot of false-positives.

Most cinnamon you buy in the US is actually cassia. They have a similar taste, but cassia has a stronger taste. I think you would have known if it was cassia.

Could it have been a piece of tamarind pod?

Edited by guajolote (log)

Most cinnamon you buy in the US is actually cassia. They have a similar taste, but cassia has a stronger taste. I think you would have known if it was cassia.

it didn't look like the cinnamon i usually see though.

is tamarind pod barky? this was barky, and a bit brittle. if bent, it would basically break. when i ate a bit, it broke up into a coffee-grind like texture, which was unpleasant.

it didn't look like the cinnamon i usually see though.

is tamarind pod barky? this was barky, and a bit brittle. if bent, it would basically break. when i ate a bit, it broke up into a coffee-grind like texture, which was unpleasant.

kinda barky