• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fahhhbulous bread at Dahlia Bakery

Dahlia has lots of special holiday treats in right now; I am looking forward to sampling the Cranberry Almond Lattice Tart. Matthew brought me some of their pumpkin bread, which was very tasty, with sugary pumpkin-seed topping. They have a holiday menu with special pies, cakes, and cookies. (And the house loaf is delicious as always.)

Hungry Monkey May 2009

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just stopped in the bakery last night, they still have the corn bread!! Oh and it is so good, heated up and slathered with butter! yum!!! She didn't know what the next flavor was going to be but said they will have the corn flavor for at least another week or 2!

Do they sell/make sandwich rolls? I am looking for Poppy Seed Kaiser Rolls, Sesame Seed Hoagie Rolls, and Bolo bread.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Just stopped in the bakery last night, they still have the corn bread!! Oh and it is so good, heated up and slathered with butter! yum!!! She didn't know what the next flavor was going to be but said they will have the corn flavor for at least another week or 2!

ooohhh. Might have to stop by there this weekend...

Born Free, Now Expensive

Right now, Dahlia Bakery have a special corn bread available.  It's a regular wheat loaf, but with whole kernels of corn baked in.  I'm sitting here eating a thick slice, smeared with butter and topped with a pinch of salt, and it's fantastic.  I think it's an August special, so get some while you can.  Wow!

If you liked this bread, you should also try out Tallgrass's hominy bread. It doesn't have corn kernel but IMO it is much tastier. The corn flavor pops right out at you. Dahlia's best bread IMO is their challah. No doubt it's the best in Seattle. Edited by richards1052 (log)

If you liked this bread, you should also try out Tallgrass's hominy bread.  It doesn't have corn kernel but IMO it is much tastier.  The corn flavor pops right out at you.  Dahlia's best bread IMO is their challah.  No doubt it's the best in Seattle.

Yaaaaay!

I'm so glad to hear someone else speak up for Tall Grass' hominy bread! I wrote about it here but hadn't heard anyone else chime in...

She blogs: Orangette

Speaking of the bakery I just read this in their FreshSheet:

Month of October

Join us this October during Breast Cancer Awareness Month, in the Dahlia Lounge & Dahlia Bakery for 'Athena's Dessert for the Cure'. Eating dessert never felt so good! 100% of the profits from our specially created pink desserts will go to fund women's breast cancer research in Seattle.

Just another good reason to head to Dahlia Bakery! :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two weeks ago we discovered Dahlia's while staying across the street in the Hotel Andra.

We enjoyed every bite! Best quality croissants we've had since Europe...and the roast beef baguettes were tasty too! :biggrin:

Cornbread sounds wonderful, wish we could have tried it!

Chef M

Vancouver, BC

• 7 months later...

Went in Dahlia's Bakery this Friday to see if there were any orange-cranberry scones, and walked out with a pint of caramel milk chocolate ice cream. What fantastic stuff! It's what I've always thought Fran's Burnt Sugar Ice Cream should be, but not as cloyingly rich. The bitter edge from the caramel is softly tempered by the chocolate, and all over it is smooth, barely pushing the edge of richness. A lovely golden-beige to behold in the container. Tempted to try other flavors, now - all at $4.25 a pint. So glad I don't work nearby.

I also tried a croissant, which was good-looking but not to Besalu standards. And for me, Besalu's isn't as heartbreakingly good as Ken's in Portland. Again, lucky for me - I'd be at least two sizes larger if we had a Ken's up here, but oh, so happy.

• 3 weeks later...
email from Tom Douglas newletter today says that the bread of the month is Summer Corn!!!

I'm so sad I don't live there anymore. That was my favorite bread.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

It's my favorite Dahlia bread as well. Grilled, it kicks ass. As toast in the morning, it kicks ass. As a base for bruschetta, it kicks ass. As a grilled cheese, it kicks ass.

Born Free, Now Expensive