• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fahhhbulous bread at Dahlia Bakery

Right now, Dahlia Bakery have a special corn bread available. It's a regular wheat loaf, but with whole kernels of corn baked in. I'm sitting here eating a thick slice, smeared with butter and topped with a pinch of salt, and it's fantastic. I think it's an August special, so get some while you can. Wow!

- S

the corn bread is most certainly fabulous. I had it with salmon grilled on a cedar plank over mesquite and it was divine. I just might need to go get a loaf before they quit making it... that would be like, um, tomorrow.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Agreed--very, very good bread. I sped over to buy a loaf today (it's apparently called "summer corn bread") and was pleasantly surprised to find that they were having a today-only special: buy one loaf of any bread and get a free loaf of their house bread along with! Wow! :biggrin:

At any rate, I have to say that this tasty bread is extremely similar to the Tall Grass Bakery's hominy bread. Only difference I can detect is that Dahlia's has a smattering of fresh corn kernels; otherwise the taste is nearly identical. I've been a big fan of that hominy bread for a while...and they make it year-round! So when Dahlia's summer corn is gone in a couple of days, take heart.

She blogs: Orangette

a today-only special: buy one loaf of any bread and get a free loaf of their house bread along with!

I did the same thing!

Malarkey, your meal of salmon and the bread sounded so good that I am having it for dinner tonight. Yum.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I picked up a corny loaf this morning and just ate a couple of slices toasted with butter. Excellent. Next month's bread is going to be a dark nutty sort of thing, which I tasted and promptly forgot the details, because it's not really my kind of bread. Okay, but no corn loaf.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I just called Dahlia Bakery. They say the corn loaf will be available through possibly the first half of September. Yay!!

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Bread with corn baked into it sounds good and all, but I just finished reading about a bakery in Paris, where I'm off to tomorrow, that makes a bread with lardons (bacon) bacon baked into it. Dahlia needs to get on this one I think....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Bread with corn baked into it sounds good and all, but I just finished reading about a bakery in Paris, where I'm off to tomorrow,

Smug well-traveled bastard.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I got some of this excellent bread yesterday. Update: They now say it might only be available through this week. Make up your minds! :raz:

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

When I stopped in to get some bread last week, I picked up some of the Dahlia's coconut macaroons. Stuck 'em in the freezer (had other desserty items to be eaten first) and finally thawed them yesterday for last night's dessert. Mmmmmm mmmm! Those babies are the lightest, most moist macaroons I've ever had...truly ethereal. Anyone know their secret? :rolleyes:

She blogs: Orangette

The best part of having your oil changed at the downtown Jiffy Lube on a Saturday morning is its proximity to Dahlia Bakery. The September bread is Roasted Sunflower Seed and Honey, and I don't have to tell you that it's really good. It's dark and seems like it might contain molasses. Also has lots of amaranth, which I love.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 1 month later...

The November bread is Apple Sourdough. There is some fine magic that happens when apple and starter meet (or when starter is created from apple yeast.) This bread is crusty, sour, chewy, and good. I'm not wild about the somewhat sticky cider glaze, but I can overlook it.

BTW: anyone else a fan of Macrina's savory biscuits? These are a big ol' pile of soft, crumbly, creamy ham and cheese breakfast delight. The recipe is in the cookbook. You don't want to know.

BTW: anyone else a fan of Macrina's savory biscuits? These are a big ol' pile of soft, crumbly, creamy ham and cheese breakfast delight. The recipe is in the cookbook. You don't want to know.

Oh yum! I can't believe I haven't tried these yet. I always prefer a savory something in the morning, so these sound right up my alley. This weekend I will run, not walk to Macrina (well, maybe drive, since I'll be coming from West Seattle and am NOT in marathon shape) for some o' those and report back. Y'all hold your breath, now. :cool:

Oh, regarding the "you don't want to know," is that regarding the richness quotient of the ingredients in the recipe? I don't imagine the caloric/fat content is provided, in which case, yeh, I probably wouldn't want to know.

Oh, regarding the "you don't want to know," is that regarding the richness quotient of the ingredients in the recipe? I don't imagine the caloric/fat content is provided, in which case, yeh, I probably wouldn't want to know.

mmm, 3 cups of heavy cream per 8 servings. That's only 3 oz. each!!! Plus cheese.

There are also wonderful breakfast sandwiches - challah (or brioche?) rolls stuffed with eggs, cheese, savory tidbits, and w/wo bacon.

:rolleyes: Well in that case, we can do what we used to…roll into Macrina fresh from the gym :biggrin:

The breakfast sammiches sound scrumptious, too. I guess we just always had the breakfast meal-type things. Nice to change things up. Yay for flour, fatty meats, eggs and cheese. Oh, how they come together so beautifully in the right hands.