• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Terrine Topic

MatthewB

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings.  I translated a recipe from a french cookbook ("Pate's et Terrines en 10 Lecons"), forgive the missing diacriticals...  I elected to make a Ce'pe terrine using blue oyster and shiitake mushrooms.  The result was tasty but was too moist to maintain its shape when unmolded (it said to serve warm).  The basis of the recipe is to finely chop onion, stems etc along with pork and fat.  Then cook, then mix with milk moistened bread crumbs.  Let cool, add one egg and layer with the caps.  My question: Why was it so moist?  Do ce'pes have less moisture?  Did I overwet the crumbs?  Did it need another egg?

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry that you got no reply in more than a year, but here’s an attempt.

From reading the recipe I think there may be something wrong with it. Evidently the preparation lacked body.

Moisture is usually not an issue with mushrooms unless you soak them in water. The way with cèpes and shiitake (oyster mushrooms rarely need cleaning) is using a damp paintbrush and/or damp tissue paper. But if cèpes were picked in rainy weather they can contain plenty of water. However I doubt that’s the real problem there, I’d suspect the forcemeat (pork + breadcrumbs) wasn’t firm enough. Normally it shouldn’t need one extra egg.

Would it be possible to have a picture of the recipe in French?

Edited by Ptipois (log)
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

Going through this wonderful topic in a search for a terrine to make for the holidays.  I have a recipe I saved from the program New Scandanavian Cooking on PBS for "Pressed Pork with Christmas Spices" that I've wanted to do for a few years.  But after looking at the recipe again I'm not so sure this is the one I'll do this season.  Looking for something that is easier to make than this recipe which basically calls for a press/mold for the terrine.  I'm thinking of pork, pistachios, and possibly chicken livers and/or adding a duck breast down the middle.  But I'm open to suggestions and photos.  

• Like 1

This may appear non-responsive but I'll go with the looser D'Artagnan definition of pate v. terrine  https://www.dartagnan.com/pate-vs-terrine.html  My favorite one Christmas was basically Julia's Pate de Campagne which is a rough more chunky one and baked in this terra cotta duck. Back when the terra cotta baking vessels were "a thing". Everyone loved both the vessel and the treat inside. Adding pistachios and some duck confit might be nice.  Ms Duck has been garden decor for years so she is sporting outdoor maquiage.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/sep/10/how-to-make-perfect-country-pate-recipe

IMG_1521.JPG

• Like 1

18 hours ago, heidih said:

This may appear non-responsive but I'll go with the looser D'Artagnan definition of pate v. terrine  https://www.dartagnan.com/pate-vs-terrine.html  My favorite one Christmas was basically Julia's Pate de Campagne which is a rough more chunky one and baked in this terra cotta duck. Back when the terra cotta baking vessels were "a thing". Everyone loved both the vessel and the treat inside. Adding pistachios and some duck confit might be nice.  Ms Duck has been garden decor for years so she is sporting outdoor maquiage.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/sep/10/how-to-make-perfect-country-pate-recipe

IMG_1521.JPG

That's perfect and in line with what I've been looking for.  This project may take me some time to get right, but I'll have a good recipe during the cold winter months, maybe just not during this holiday season.

• Like 1