• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Terrine Topic

MatthewB

:biggrin:

Well, I've had my share of kitchen reverses lately, Duvel - bread that doesn't rise like it used to, bacon that came out too salty using what iI'd thought was an established process, a first batch of flapjack that fell apart because initially I went back to a recipe that I forgot I'd rejected years ago.

So this is lovely surprise, not just good, but fantastic.  I have't had such good pate since I was in France: good texture, good mouthfeel, flavour just right.  The smell of pudding spices as it came out of the oven was a bit daunting, but cold, no problem.  By mid-afternoon I'd gone back and gone back till I'd as good as finished the half-full tub.  The one thing I'd change next time would be to put the onions through the mincer too, or chop them that bit finer.

It is rich though.  With 8 parts belly and 3 parts liver, it didn't help my lap times in the pool last night.  It felt like I was swimming in pork fat... which of course I was, really.  Luxury.

• Like 1

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

The tubs are... plastic.  Just normal Tupperware-type plastic, but as they are in this marvellously civilised country, marked microwave and freezer compatible and stamped with minimum (-20C) and maximum (140C) temperatures.

JG suggests baking the pate uncovered at 170C, using a water bath, or steaming it covered.  It seems to me these two choices are at least as different from each other as they are from a lower-temperature bake without a water bath.  I considered microwaving: a google returned a newspaper recipe for a microwave pate, done in 20 minutes cooking, but with interventions to foil the corners and to syringe out fat so the bottom wasn't cooking in a hotter layer.

Now, I'm pretty sure that microwaving at a lower setting would work without the interventions, but in the end not be much quicker or more convenient than that low-temp bake.  The bulk of the recipes handed down to us are from a time when ovens didn't reliably hold really low temperatures.  I wavered over the temperature but in the end settled on 110C, as low as my combo MW-electric oven goes, excepting the 'ferment' function.  No water bath and hey presto, done in 1hr 5mins for the half-full tub, and 1hr15 - 1hr30 for the mounded ones.

OK, so I just dug the unused sixth tub out of the drawer and had a proper read of the base of it.  Polypropylene.  Lids: polyethylene aka polythene, rated only to 60C.  The tubs are also marked "do not use in the oven".  Chortle, chortle. Hic!

Edited by Blether (log)
  • Like 1

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

• 4 months later...

That is beautiful! I would expect it to be fridge stable before you unseal it, but once you expose it to air (especially after cutting) it becomes subject to spoilage bacteria again.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 6 months later...

That pig takes the cake… OK the pate. How difficult was it to fill the mold such that the details came through? Would you share a photograph of the mold if you have the time and inclination. I am quite fascinated.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm fascinated as well. I can see the two halves of the mold in the background of that photo, but have no idea how you'd fill the halves and mate them without making a mess. That's a very cool pate.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Baron d'Apcher said:

Organic poulet rouge with ventrèche, fatback, livers and stuffed morels.  Diced, ground, seasoned, rolled in its skin and poached.

Is "poulet rouge" the same as Label Rouge chickens, or is it a separate variety?

• 5 months later...

Pork liver, jowl, salted anchovies and a few spices wrapped in some bacon.

29553309815_5605c3a4bc_z.jpg

On 4/6/2016 at 4:11 AM, jmacnaughtan said:

Is "poulet rouge" the same as Label Rouge chickens, or is it a separate variety?

"Poulet rouge" is a red broiler, similar to a naked neck French variety.  Label Rouge is a labeling system that verifies quality of agricultural products (from land animals to fish) and can be any number of breeds.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Late to the party.....

Venison, dried cherry and pistachio from CHARCUTERIE by Polecyn. The small medallion at the top is Shenandoah Valley whitetail deer,  the main forcemeat is Maine moose. Last of the Christmas leftovers but I made two, one's in the freezer.

I have a lot of moose...mous vide steaks for dinner tonight.

IMG_3977.JPG

• Like 5

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

• 1 year later...

Hopefully straightforward. I wish to make a gamebird terrine for the holidays, being a hunter I have pheasant, duck and grouse in the freezer. Since game is not as popular here in the US as in the UK most of the interesting recipes I am finding through Google are coming from the UK.

They all list as a primary ingredient roughly 500-600g of sausage meat or sausagemeat.

Here in the US sausage meat is uncased, spiced, ground pork, such as Italian sausage or breakfast sausage. But I am thinking the Brits use the term to mean un-spiced ground pork with fat, as this is an essential ingredient  for most terrines and pates.

Am I correct, is UK sausage meat plain ground pork shoulder or pork with fat put through a meat grinder, unspiced?

thanks,

Rob

Edited by Recoil Rob (log)

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

UK retail sausage meat is spiced.

It's 70-90% fairly fatty pork, plus flour or starch as a binder, sometimes some onion, usually mildly seasoned with pepper, nutmeg and maybe a bit of sage.

If you're subbing shoulder, I would add fat. Generic US pork shoulder is under 20% fat. UK sausage meat is probably 30-40% fat.

• Like 2

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.