• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Terrine Topic

MatthewB

I just got a Matfer terrine mold off of ebay!! Very excited.  $9.99.  They can go for $80 new.  Has anyone used anything like the one picture below?  The bottom slides out, and the hinges are removable to release the sides.

gallery_7730_1160_18927.jpg

Ian

It looks like Ian and mrbigjas are going to be doing some terrines in the near future with great pans! Please tell us how you like this mould, does it have a mechanism for pressing the contents? Ian, Why are the sides ridged?

Man, I don't know why they are ridged. Maybe it adds small ridges to the final product? The only description I have is on the Matfer web site.

It does say that there it's for pates in crust, which is an exciting thought.

As for weighting it down, I guess I'll use weighted down reinforced cardboard as I do with loaf pans.

Edited by ianeccleston (log)

So I'm wondering if I can combine this with the other cooking interest in my life at the moment: rose petals 

(My garden is exploding with roses at the moment)

Does anyone have a terrine like recipe that uses roses?  I could just put them in a rose petal pannacotta, which would be the sweet equivalent, but I figure someone here probably has a brilliant idea already tested...

I know the petals lose color & texture when I boil them in milk for my rose pudding :wub: , but if I put them into gelatin when it was no longer quite that hot, would they be OK? 

Hmm, maybe with something similar to Adam Balic's chicken galantine upthread (what WAS the source for that recipe by the way? I haven't played with 17th c. english stuff in a while so I don't recognize it...) I love chicken & roses together!

Is there such a thing as a sweet dessert terrine? (Sort of like jello puddings I suppose). If it's not too sacriligious, a rose petal dessert terrine might be nice.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I actually own both those pans! The Matfer is straight-sided and a bit smaller in volume. The one mrbigjas showed is ever-so-slightly slanted and the downside to it is that I have actually had to flippy-things that hold the sides together CAN flip down. The Matfer is a bit sturdier and is the one I used in my terrine.

This site shows most of them but who knew they came in so many different sizes?

I also have one that is that shaped like a marquise diamond and here is a picture of a pastry-encased one I made for my Dali Dinner.

Edited to add the last paragraph's pictures

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

I actually own both those pans! The Matfer is straight-sided and a bit smaller in volume. The one mrbigjas showed is ever-so-slightly slanted and the downside to it is that I have actually had to flippy-things that hold the sides together CAN flip down.

whoa--i'll be sure to watch out for that. thanks for the tip.

• 4 weeks later...

My first terrine, bear with me... I don't even have a terrine mold so I used a mini loaf pan.

asparagus in vegtable aspic

gallery_16100_231_385704.jpg

served as an amuse bouche on a sauce of Bucheron

gallery_16100_231_185725.jpg

obviously I need to put my stalks closer/tighter together next time so I don't have the overhang on top. But the taste was very nice, I took others advice on this thread and seasoned the aspic liberally when I made it. I also added a bit of fluer de sel finishing salt on top.

• Delicious 1

on a sauce of Bucheron

gallery_16100_231_185725.jpg

This looks (and I don't use this word lightly) stunning.

I see how the edges could be a bit tighter - there's room for geometric refinements but it is a very exciting plate.

Could you please explain a bit more thoroughly how this is prepared?

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

on a sauce of Bucheron

This looks (and I don't use this word lightly) stunning.

I see how the edges could be a bit tighter - there's room for geometric refinements but it is a very exciting plate.

Could you please explain a bit more thoroughly how this is prepared?

what he said!

:blush: awww, you guys...thanks for the encouragement! I will say there is no way I would have ever made a terrine were it not for reading this thread.

The recipe is out of my book 'Amuse-Bouche' by rick tramonto

so I made veggie stock and then combined that with gelaton sheets and seasoned (highly) with salt. I did this the day before, kept it in the fridge and warmed it when I was ready to work.

I tried to get all the same size asparagus spears but it is really hard to do that. Blanched the asparagus in salted water. sprayed my mini loaf pan with Pam and lined it with seran wrap. I will also take more care in smoothing the saran next time. You can see the wrinkles on the terrine before it was cut. Then just layer asparagus and veg aspic. I needed to pack those stalks in better. I sealed it up with the wrap, then weighted it with cardboard and a can of soup in the fridge for a day.

Removed sliced and melted some Boucheron with water to make a sauce. This needs to be thinner next time.

The taste was so spring like, fresh and simple.

Thanks again guys, I'll do better next time!!

edited to add that you cut the tips off and only use the stalks.

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Is there such a thing as a sweet dessert terrine? (Sort of like jello puddings I suppose). If it's not too sacriligious, a rose petal dessert terrine might be nice.

Does this count as a dessert terrine??

gallery_16100_231_198795.jpg

Out of The French Laundry Cookbook- strawberry & champagne terrine

Does this count as a dessert terrine??

gallery_16100_231_198795.jpg

Out of The French Laundry Cookbook- strawberry & champagne terrine

How lovely!

Let me guess he calls it strawberry jell-o? :laugh:

OK when the next round of roses come in I am definately making some kind of a rose-petal terrine!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

• 3 months later...

It's getting nice and cool outside, or in my case in Houston, it's getting less humid. The perfect time of year to resurrect this thread, time for kitchen projects, like French terrines. Even though it is not labeled as such, the Rabbit Compote with Prunes, from Paula Wolfert's new edition of her "Cooking of Southwest France", will make for an awsome terrine if made in one. I was thinking I can even layer the prunes halfway through and end up with a nice looking cross section the next time around.

gallery_5404_1891_316985.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 5 weeks later...

How on earth did I miss this thread?

As some of you know, I posted pictures and such on making my first terrine a couple of years ago. You can see a very beautiful piece of caul fat in the photos, and home made cornichons too.

Last year I made the same terrine, but the liver was fresh (not frozen) and only a couple of days old (well, out of the hog). That made all the difference in terms of crumbliness. We also have two dried salted hams hanging in our living room and kitchen. Guests are always taken aback by our rustic "decorations". We've managed to wait a year for them to age and we're going to cut into them this weekend.

Since then, I've got my mits on the Jane Grigson book, and I've been anxiously awaiting my copy of "Charcuterie: Craft of Salting, Smoking, & Curing" from Jessica's Biscuit. It's driving me nuts because my credit card was charged over a week ago, but I think media mail is taking forever!

This year, unfortunately, the liver from the hog we bought a half of didn't make it past the inspector, but there is another pig adventure afoot the day after Thanksgiving, where I will then be in possession of the liver, blood, and head. Yes, strange things to be excited about, but somehow I think you all will understand.

The thing I'm wondering about is the idea of baking the terrines in glass jars that are then sealed and don't need to be refrigerated. Grigson mentions this as a common practice in France (the edition of my book is 1975). Does anyone still do that? The reason I ask is that this next pig venture is a communal one, and I don't have enough terrines for each family to have. I like the idea of doing it in jars, but I wonder how you can press them afterwards.

regards,

trillium

but I wonder how you can press them afterwards.

With a small lid, or maybe a plastic-wrapped cardboard circle cut to shape? just brainstorming here...and please share pics of the hams

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I just read in my French charcuterie book the guidelines for "canning" terrines, it seems like you don't really press it, just cook it in the jar, making sure it reaches a certain temp when you process it.

I'll try to take pictures of the hams and post them to flickr next weekend (along with other piggy adventures... ).

regards,

trillium

• 2 weeks later...

Very much inspired by Lucy's recent efforts, I cleared the kitchen, and some time (with the wife) to make my first rabbit terrine today.

Can I just say DAMN is it bloody hard. I've just spent over an hour forcing the farce and fat through a tamis. I must be doing something wrong. I pureed it as much as i dared - not wanting it to cook. Still - this makes the duck and foie tourte I made (which I'm making again next weekend) seem easy by comparison.

Anyway, I'll return here with my moaning, and hopefully a finished product.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

You can do it, MobyP! I spent MY day yesterday making cassoulet, no doubt partly inspired toward things French by Lucy's recent blog. Lucy, you have a lot to answer for... :biggrin:

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

I'll post more pictures and descriptions later, but here is how the rabbit terrine came out. I was quite happy. The two circles in the centre are the fillets.

gallery_8259_153_47562.jpg

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I'm about to foray into my first attempt at making a terrine. I recently acquired a terrine mold - one of the ones that come apart - and a good recipe book, so I'm ready to go. My venison and fatback are marinating in the fridge, my bowls are sitting outside in a snowbank to keep 'em cold, and the only thing that's holding me up is the @#$#@ plastic wrap.

The technique I was planning to use involves lining my mold with plastic wrap, filling it, and baking in a water bath. At 3am last night, I woke up thinking "Plastic wrap? In the oven? Is that possible?"

A little research this morning on the Saran Wrap web site revealed that Saran Wrap is not meant to go into the oven.

So.... what to do? Is it just lawyer-speak, and can my festive blue Saran Wrap stand up to a 300 degree oven and water bath just fine? Or will I end up with a melted plastic shell around my lovely terrine?

Can I get heatproof plastic anywhere? I live in a small town, there is no Costco or other such large place. We do have a Gordon Food Service retail store, and I plan on calling them as soon as they open at noon to see if they carry the elusive heatproof plastic wrap.

If that route doesn't work, what are my options? I'm completely new to terrine making. Can I use several layers of tinfoil? Any technique that doesn't use a water bath?

For what it's worth, I'm doing it with about equal amounts of venison and pork fatback, pureed with various spices, a madeira reduction, and I think I add some egg whites and heavy cream.

I'm about to foray into my first attempt at making a terrine. I recently acquired a terrine mold - one of the ones that come apart - and a good recipe book, so I'm ready to go. My venison and fatback are marinating in the fridge, my bowls are sitting outside in a snowbank to keep 'em cold, and the only thing that's holding me up is the @#$#@ plastic wrap.

If that route doesn't work, what are my options? I'm completely new to terrine making. Can I use several layers of tinfoil? Any technique that doesn't use a water bath?

For what it's worth, I'm doing it with about equal amounts of venison and pork fatback, pureed with various spices, a madeira reduction, and I think I add some egg whites and heavy cream.

I would think you can do the same thing people who make cheesecakes in a waterbath do. Double wrap the outside of the mold with foil, preferably heavy duty.

And save me a slice. :wink:

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

In the little booklet that comes with the Le Creuset terrine they recommend greasing the terrine, and then lining it with baking parchment cut to size on the bottom and sides. Would bacon go with your recipe? There is another recipe there where you line the bottom and sides with strips of bacon before filling.

The technique I was planning to use involves lining my mold with plastic wrap, filling it, and baking in a water bath. At 3am last night, I woke up thinking "Plastic wrap? In the oven? Is that possible?"

A little research this morning on the Saran Wrap web site revealed that Saran Wrap is not meant to go into the oven.

So.... what to do? Is it just lawyer-speak, and can my festive blue Saran Wrap stand up to a 300 degree oven and water bath just fine? Or will I end up with a melted plastic shell around my lovely terrine?

Can I get heatproof plastic anywhere? I live in a small town, there is no Costco or other such large place. We do have a Gordon Food Service retail store, and I plan on calling them as soon as they open at noon to see if they carry the elusive heatproof plastic wrap.