• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Recoil Rob

Recoil Rob

Hopefully straightforward. I wish to make a gamebird terrine for the holidays, being a hunter I have pheasant, duck and grouse in the freezer. Since game is not as popular here in the US as in the UK most of the interesting recipes I am finding through Google are coming from the UK.

They all list as a primary ingredient roughly 500-600g of sausage meat or sausagemeat.

Here in the US sausage meat is uncased, spiced, ground pork, such as Italian sausage or breakfast sausage. But I am thinking the Brits use the term to mean un-spiced ground pork with fat, as this is an essential ingredient  for most terrines and pates.

Am I correct, is UK sausage meat plain ground pork shoulder or pork with fat put through a meat grinder, unspiced?

thanks,

Rob

Recoil Rob

Recoil Rob

Hopefully straightforward. I wish to make a gamebird terrine for the holidays, being a hunter I have pheasant, duck and grouse in the freezer. Since game is not as popular here in the US as in the UK most of the interesting recipes I am finding through Google are coming from the UK.

They all list as a primary ingredient roughly 500-600g of sausage meat or sausagemeat.

Here in the US sausage meat is uncased, spiced, ground pork, such as Italian sausage or breakfast sausage. But I am thinking the Brits use the term to mean un-spiced ground pork with fat, as this is an essential ingredient  for most terrines and pates.

Am I correct, is plain ground pork shoulder or pork with fat put through a meat grinder?

thanks,

Rob