• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chateau guiraud

jogoode

i just found a bottle of 1963 sauternes 1er Cru in my basement....Is this something i should drink, save? Should I be excited? I can't find this vintage listed anywhere

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

1963 was a terrible year for Sauternes, with cold and damp conditions through much of the growing season and rot hitting most of the region. The general belief is that no growers escaped, but one rarely knows until the cork is pulled. I certainly don't know about Guiraud in particular. I would say make the best of it: have low expectations (and a back up bottle), make a feast, gather good friends, and give it a try. But there is no reason to wait any longer. It could be a great surprise!

Knowledge is good.

• 1 month later...

I just looked again, and it's from '62. I wonder if that improves its chances...

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

But I wonder...how can someone find out information on an old wine that's not necessarily a great vintage - like my little '62. Maybe I should bite the bullet and open her.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

But I wonder...how can someone find out information on an old wine that's not necessarily a great vintage - like my little '62. Maybe I should bite the bullet and open her.

Check Michael Broadbent's Great Vintage Wine Book. His tasting notes go back to vintages in the late 18th century. I checked the vintage charts on eRobertParker and they only go back to 1970. '62 was in general a lousy year in Bordeaux with several small exceptions.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

The famous Sauternes vintage from the 60's was 1967. I serve 1996 Ch. Guiraud in the restaurant. It is a first class wine. I got to taste a 1908 Rayne-Vignaud last night.  Very, very interesting.

That is interesting Mark.

I tasted the 1994 and it lacked complexity and character and was heading down. I tried several bottles.

Do you think 1996 is worth a try ?

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

The famous Sauternes vintage from the 60's was 1967. I serve 1996 Ch. Guiraud in the restaurant. It is a first class wine. I got to taste a 1908 Rayne-Vignaud last night.  Very, very interesting.

That is interesting Mark.

I tasted the 1994 and it lacked complexity and character and was heading down. I tried several bottles.

Do you think 1996 is worth a try ?

Yes, the '96 is quite a good bottle of wine. Deep in color, quite complex.

Mark

Are you sure it's 1963? I do not remember ever seeing any 1963 French wines of any kind? Hugh Johnson classifies 1963 for Sauternes as 'Bad' and when to drink as 'Never'. Coming on the heels of 59,60,61 and 62 and before 64, there was a lot of good to great wine available around that time. Still working on our last case of 61 Bordeaux. All the other 60's are gone. -Dick

My bottle is a '62, not '63. If these years for Guiraud are bad, that would explain why I have it in my basement - I am not typically in possession of great wine. I guess I'll just have to open it...

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Are you sure it's 1963? I do not remember ever seeing any 1963 French wines of any kind?

You'll be surprised. A few years back I had to buy 10 cases of Margaux 1963 for my then japanese bosses. I tried to tell them that it was one of the worst vintages around but they were adamant that they wanted it. Possibly it was for a party of someone born in 1963 (which would be very popular this year as I have sold quite a few 1973s).

I suppose that they wanted a big name at a cheap price, although this was $65 a bottle before tax.

Hugh Johnson lists the 1962 vintage of Sauterne's as " very fine, elegant" which translates to me as not having great sweetness but still drinkable. He says to drink by 1974. Old sweet wines can be a crap shoot. The color will be an indication if the wine has undergone madurization. If golden, it may be Ok, if dark in color than maybe not. In any event is not something that is worth a fortune to someone so you might as well enjoy it. Be ready to consume it at one sitting because old wines fade fast. I will be opening the next to last bottle of 1969 Niersteiner Rebach TBA at Thanksgiving and I have no idea how it will have changed since we last had a bottle. -Dick

But I wonder...how can someone find out information on an old wine that's not necessarily a great vintage - like my little '62.

Hi jogoode!

I looked up in my archive and found by CliveCoates:

Château Guiraud, Sauternes, 1962:

Quite a deep colour, almost a little old. An old nose, slightly resinny. Now lacks class. Sweet, some "pourriture noble" but has not lost grip and intensity. 14.5/20 points, drink up.

Review was published in 1995.

Regards, Boris

Publisher of vinfox, the comprehensive wine buyers guide.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Thanks a lot! Now I'll know how to introduce the bottle if I bring it with me to a friend's house -- I'll play it down, mention that it's probably way over the hill, and hope it makes a good showing. :smile:

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com