• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Improving my cooking skills (2003)

MatthewB

:angry: Grrrr. I think someone else in Wichita is playing along . . . and not playing fairly.

I was at the library yesterday to check out J&J. I know they have it, I've borrowed it before.

Not there.

Check the computer -- the book has been reported as "lost." Hmmm

Check Torres' "Dessert Circus." Also "lost." And with the same checkout/return dates as J&J.

Bastard.

:angry:

Bummer, Chad. If I can find either used I'd pick up a copy for you too. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Chad,

You interested in a remainder copy of J&J for about $15?  (No dust jacket though.)

Hey, that sounds great! Do you have a spare or just a friendly neighborhood black market cookbook dealer?

"Psssst, buddy, you wanna buy a cookbook?"

:biggrin:

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Speaking of desserts:  have any of you used Payard's Simply Sensational Desserts?  We have it at home, and my wife has made a lemon tart from it several times that's really very  nice.

Looks like a worthy purchase, Seth, especially with your positive review (I think your opinion is the first I've heard either way). I love lemon desserts, mostly thanks to tasting one of Claudia Fleming's at GT.

Chad and Heather, I will look for Dessert Circus this weekend at our local secondhand bookstore and will pick it up if I see it at a reasonable price, either before or after my trip to Home Depot for that blowtorch! :smile:

Erin

Back to the braised chicken...

I made it, using my technique as posted above. When I make it for a crowd, I use a low saute pan, but for just the two of us, I've used a higher Le Creuset pan because I didn't have a low pan that was small enough. Today I bought a Le Creuset Tatin Pan at the outlet store. It was just the right size for 4 chicken thighs. The chicken was absolutely perfect (the chanterelles and cream didn't hurt) and the most interesting thing was that the sauce reduced down to almost nothing.

The pan does make a difference.

Served it w/ mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and sauteed baby braising greens w/ lots of garlic. Drank Williams Selyem Pinot. I'm a happy camper.

I looked through the Payard book a bit this evening, and while it has a lot of nice stuff, and beautiful pictures, I'm not sure it's the kind of fundamentals book we'd want to work through. It is intelligently organized into basic techniques, simpler soups and cakes, and then more complicated creations, but it's really a book of favorite recipes from Payard's shop. It doesn't attempt to cover all the classics. There ain't no creme brulee.

I checked out a couple threads in the Pastry & Baking category here at the "G," and found no more than passing reference to the Payard book. But I did find numerous posts recommending Baking With Julia. I know a couple of you started working with it recently. Now I want it. Is it mostly bread, or does it cover lots of cakes, tarts and other desserts as well?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I'm sorry if I missed something since I just read this page....but Seth I highly reccomend working from Payards baking book. I've made many items from his book and all have had very above average to excellent results. No it's not a learning book but then Baking with Julia isn't totally a learning book either. But so far I think I use more recipes from Payards book then Julias.

He has really nice recipes in each catagory, although I don't recall any yeast breads.

My favorite recipes (with-out looking at his book to remember)

all of his tarts- but particularly his Caramel hazelnut tart is great.

his tuiles are excellent.

his fruit soups are good.

I use his semi freddo recipe, and I frequently changing out the flavor and it always works.

raspberry champange granita is terrific

his apple cake is good, but I cut back on the alchol quantity

I'm sure theres several more I'm forgetting. It's a terrific book.

Thanks Wendy, re: Payard. We've really liked the three or four things we've had from the book. And I'll definitely be doing so more stuff from it, now that I've been looking through it.

I thought we were doing the glazed carrots & turnips.  :blink:

Me too... although IIRC the beef bourguignon recipe calls for carrots already, so maybe we should do a green veggie instead for contrast/variety?

Erin

To recap:  this week, Beef Bourgonionne (or however it's spelled   :wacko: ), mashers, green veggie of your choice, and creme brulee.  Sound good?

Green veggie of choice?

I thought we were doing the glazed carrots & turnips. :blink:

I thought that might be too starchy, and we did a green salad last week. The dessert and stew will be time consuming, so I was going for simplicity in the sides.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

To recap:  this week, Beef Bourgonionne (or however it's spelled   :wacko: ), mashers, green veggie of your choice, and creme brulee.  Sound good?

Green veggie of choice?

I thought we were doing the glazed carrots & turnips. :blink:

I thought that might be too starchy, and we did a green salad last week. The dessert and stew will be time consuming, so I was going for simplicity in the sides.

No problem.

What would you suggest instead? (I don't have the J&J book with me.)

Well, here's what's at my local farmer's market:

asparagus

cabbage

yellow squash

green beans

red leaf lettuce

greens: lettuce, arugula, Swiss chard, mizuna and baby collards

bell peppers

yellow beans

I keep coming back to asparagus -- $2 a pound

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I vote for swiss chard, which will contrast nicely with the richness of the stew and mashers. Is there a recipe including them in J&J? If nobody's got it to hand, I can look late tonight when I get home.

Thanks for the wine info, Matthew!

Erin

There was a biref article on chard in this week's WashPost food section. Includes a recipe. Get the bright lights if you want the pretty colors. :wub:

I've never cooked with chard, and would like to give it a try. I looked thru Jules et Jim and didn't see anything more appealing, although maybe braised red cabbage would be nice.

After giving this book a thorough once-over, I'm pretty excited about the duck, all the fish, several of the potato dishes, and that turky galantine. Not to mention the eggs and the artichokes.

When are we making the menu? I'm not sure I can commit to a specific day, but I'm probably good for some day within the next week.

And yes, I finally got the book... from the library! I'm sick of waiting for my purchased copy to arrive. (By the way, I love NYC. I looked the book up in the on-line catalog, which is available on the web, and found out that the book was checked in at the Chatham Square branch, which is quite close to the Manhattan courthouses, and today at lunchtime I just zipped over there and checked it out. So easy. Who knew?)

I've never roasted chard before, so this should be fun. Has anyone had it with grapes, as in the recipe? (Thanks Malawry!) I'm looking forward to tasting this combination.

I'll check the Penn Quarter farmers' market shortly and pick up some chard there if they have it. (Bright lights, big city...)

Seth, I assumed we'd make this on Saturday like last week's menu; at least that's what I'm planning on.

I love the fact that library catalogs/databases are online now. This saves you so much time, and you can do the lion's share of research from the comfort of your own home... then just swing by the library to run off copies and check out what you need. (The first time I was in college, they still had card catalogs and the databases were all on CD! :wacko:)

Erin