• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Improving my cooking skills (2003)

MatthewB

I don't have the book yet, as you know, but I may be able to figure out a way to join you nonetheless...

Even if I don't join you on this particular lesson, cutting up a chicken may be the one area where I feel like a pro (except for this business about the wishbone).

If I figure out some way to join you in this lesson, I may want to do it on Friday; we have company coming. It might be most practical if we all do things on our own schedule but within a few days of one another, so we can report our thoughts in a timely fashion. Doing everything the same day would obviously be optimal, but is that ever really going to happen?

Edit: I just saw your posts about Saturday, after I submitted the above. I could figure out something else for Friday and join you on Saturday, too. Count me in, provisionally.

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I'm a virgin at cutting up raw whole poultry.

There.  I said it.

You didn't get a spatchcocking lesson from the G-man last Saturday?

I'm in for Saturday. Seth, one of us can PM you the recipe, though the pictures might be tough.

. . . spatchcock

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thank you, Dave, but (spatchcock) I found the recipe (spatchcock) on the (spatchcock) web... just point yer clicker right here.

Now anyone can play along. Big caveat: if you hope to learn about cutting up a raw chicken from this lesson, you'd be better off with the book, since the link I've found does not include the pictures. (Spatchcock.)

Edit: And another thing. Having read what's contained in the excerpt I found, I think I'm going to love this book.

Edited a second time to delete pedantic nonsense.

Edited by SethG (log)

Basic green salad (p. 102) with Julia's lemon-oil dressing (p. 114)

Jacques' Sauteed Chicken "Maison" (p. 274-275)

Either Jacques' Pommes de Terre Boulangere (p. 161) or something else, whatever folks prefer. I liked the Boulangere because it's baked and requires no attention while the chicken is being prepared.

Do we want a dessert too? Another vegetable?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Count me in! Diana loves to cook, and she really needs to work on and expand her horizons, including technique, etc. Peter is starting to display interest (energy level at times prevents total compliance). So, count in 2-1/2, I guess. It is time Diana learned to properly cut up a chicken (I learned at age 9 or so).

And, for me, with the kids, a "set menu" is a good thing (prevents sibling squabbling).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Basic green salad (p. 102) with Julia's lemon-oil dressing (p. 114)

Jacques' Sauteed Chicken "Maison" (p. 274-275)

Either Jacques' Pommes de Terre Boulangere (p. 161) or something else, whatever folks prefer.  I liked the Boulangere because it's baked and requires no attention while the chicken is being prepared.

Do we want a dessert too?  Another vegetable?

Good menu, Heather. I don't think another vegetable is necessary -- there's veg with the chicken, and we've got a salad.

I read the recipe last night. Matthew, it's a good introduction to butchering poultry (Seth is right, pictures help, though. I think he's also correct that it's a fricassee).

Is it everybody else's understanding that the breasts come entirely off the bone?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'm in too... my copy of J&J is on the way, so could someone please PM the recipes (except for the Chicken Maison one that Seth found)? I'll likely get to cooking on Sunday. Many thanks!

I will also report on how these dishes hold up as leftovers over the course of the next week... :wacko:

By the way, Seth, congratulations on your family's imminent arrival!

Erin

Thanks, Erin. I try to mention my pending arrival at least once in every thread!

It would be great if someone could PM me the potato thing. I've tried to find it on the web and have failed. (And I have bought the book, so it isn't stealing.) I may skip the salad. I'm going to try to sneak a peek at the book in the store before Saturday, too, to see what the pictures add.

I'm psyched about this, by the way. This is going to be a lot of fun.

The menu sounds great. Thanks, Heather!

I'm excited about this, too. I think we've a good bunch of people to work with. :smile:

I don't have the J & J book here, so I'm not able to PM Seth the recipe.

(I found out last night that the J & J binding is broken. :angry: )

You're welcome! Bummer about the binding. :angry: Can you return it?

Seth, if I get a chance, I will PM the recipe for the potatoes. It may have to wait until the kids go to bed. :smile:

The book is a little light on desserts. Maybe we can supplement with another book? Although one recipe in there I would like to do is Profiteroles.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Coincidentally Heather, I just got Jacques Torres' Dessert Circus on chefette's recommendation. I think that would be an excellent book to work through, because it gives you traditional French techniques with recipes that build on each other. His instructions are clear and detailed, and there are pictures to illustrate many of the techniques--similar in style to J&J. I also think his recipes will pair well with J&J's food. Thoughts?

Seth, I'll PM you the potato recipe later today.

Dave, I can't use "poultry-hacking virgin" as a sig line because it will no longer be true after Sunday... :cool:

Erin

Oh, Erin, but it'd be so entertaining between now and Sunday for us to read that appended to your posts.

I've been eyeing Dessert Circus for some time now. It looks like a truly excellent book.

Seth, when is your new baby due?

I didn't mean to veer us off-topic. This is the last thing I'll say about it.

Due date: November 1. But if (s)he's as early as our Leah was (s)he'll be born, um, yesterday.

I'll take a look at the Torres, too. I'm a promiscuous poultry hacker (spatchcock), but nearly abstinent at apres-dejeuner.

Erin, you can always modify it after Sunday to say "former poultry hacking virgin."

And: congratulations, Seth.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Seth, when is your new baby due?

I didn't mean to veer us off-topic. This is the last thing I'll say about it.

Due date: November 1. But if (s)he's as early as our Leah was (s)he'll be born, um, yesterday.

Congrats, Seth! :smile:

(And don't worry about going off-topic. I, for one, will not needlessly chide you.)

(And don't worry about going off-topic.  I, for one, will not needlessly chide you.)

Ditto. Seth, getting to know eGulleteers as individuals, not just the food-obsessed, is a wonderful side benefit to this forum. Veer away!

Oh, Erin, but it'd be so entertaining between now and Sunday for us to read that appended to your posts.

Erin, you can always modify it after Sunday to say "former poultry hacking virgin."

Damn, I thought I'd gotten away spatchcock-free... :angry::biggrin:

Erin

Heavens. I'm feeling positively promiscuous, having lost my poultry hacking virginity at age 9, shortly after I lost my butchering poultry virginity.

In all seriousness, it is a good skill to have. I have never purchased chicken parts (other than feet for stock), nor have I ever purchased a pre-cut up bird. I have much easier access to great whole chickens than cut up ones.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

(And don't worry about going off-topic.  I, for one, will not needlessly chide you.)

Ditto. Seth, getting to know eGulleteers as individuals, not just the food-obsessed, is a wonderful side benefit to this forum. Veer away!

You guys are the best.