• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

From Our Farmer and CSA

jwagnerdsm

Today I've got:

Okra

Sweet Corn

Tomatoes

Onions

Zipper Peas

Pole Beans

Blueberries

Pattypan Squash

Edit to add (items apparent once I'd gotton to the bottom of the box):

Garlic

Lemon Cucumbers

Red Potatoes

Edited by therese (log)

Can you pee in the ocean?

Zipper peas? Do tell! Photos, too, if you got 'em.

Fortunately I got a lot of them (already shelled, too) and had leftovers from a dinner party last night:

gallery_11280_1530_11049.jpg

The peas are a bit like black eye peas or crowder peas (less "peanutty" tasting than black eye peas), varying from very pale tan to very pale green in color. I blanched them a few minutes to take away the slightly raw/bitter flavor, but not enough to really loosen the skins or make them mushy. The onions are Vidalias, sauteed with minced country ham. I let them sit in the fridge overnight, and dressed them right before serving with apple cider vinegar (the country ham provided enough fat and salt by itself).

My shipping address is in your PM inbox, therese. Man oh man, fresh beans are the bomb -- and they're almost impossible to get up here in New England!

By the by, last week, our CSA booty was: garlic scapes, a cabbage, some fantastic spring onions, some lettuce, a bit of broccoli, and excellent blueberries; our share partners got carrots, raspberries, and a few other things, too.

We also got a very flowery herb whose name I didn't write down but is apparently a variant of cilantro. More on that tomorrow, when I get a chance to ask.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Turnips.

A Kohlrabi.

Spuds.

Braising greens.

Widdle carrots.

Lots o'salad greens

Little broccoli's

Edible flowers and some herbs

and two of the most glorious, perfect bulbs of garlic that I've ever seen.

(Therese, I'm jealous.)

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

This is my first time in a CSA and it seems to be really fun. Basket of Life Farm in Northeast Ohio brought us:

Zucchini

Patty Pan Squash

Cherry Tomatoes

Green Bell Peppers

A crazy looking yellow waxy pepper (I'm not sure if it's hot, but it'll be fun to play with, but it may just be a mild banana pepper)

Cucumber (which is wonderful, since the beetles eat all of mine before they grow)

Two heads of leafy lettuce (roots still attached)

6 beautiful eggs!

I'm off to find a good recipe for zucchini muffins and something to do with the patty pans - I think we'll grill them with some garlic butter and add a little cheese and make pizzas, unless someone else has a better suggestion.

Cheers, until next week!

Okra, sweet corn, onions, eggplant, carrots, garlic, lemon cucumbers, regular cucumber, patty pan squash, potatoes, tomatoes, basil, blueberries.

This week was the end of blueberries from the farm---only CSA customers got them. Figs start in two weeks. Next week he'll likely sub blueberry juice or jam for my fruit share.

Tonight's dinner features grilled sweet corn and a salad of roasted carrots and onions with dill (the dill not from the CSA):

gallery_11280_1530_791221.jpg

From Stone Barns Farm in New York --

Green beans

Broccoli

More onions and the most perfect garlic bulbs I've seen

Chard

Tiny turnips

Herbs and edible flowers

Red beets

Some salad mix

Cucumbers

Artichokes

a big ol'Kohlrabi

and ... tomatoes. The pint of cherry tomatoes didn't make it home with me (so sweet, and still warm). There were also huge red heirlooms with few seeds, and some yellow and green ones, too.

Since my son helped harvest the chard and prep the garlic, we are admiring it before we eat it.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Atlanta, Georgia featured:

Potatoes

Garlic

Zipper Peas

Purple Pole Beans

Okra

Cucumbers (conventional and lemon)

Zucchino (just one, and it was yellow)

Eggplant

Sweet Corn

Tomatoes (double share, one counting as fruit until figs come in)

Pattypan Squash

Basil

I splurged and spent an additional $10 on figs from Cimino Farm (one of the many vendors at the Morningside Market where I pick up my CSA).

• 3 weeks later...

This week in Atlanta, GA:

eggplant

potatoes

garlic

onions

pattypan squash

summer squash

okra (sorry, chris :wink: )

green beans

baby turnips

broccoli rabe

green peppers

tomatoes

figs

charentais melon

This week in northeastern Massachusetts:

-- baby beets

-- corn

-- beefsteak tomatoes

-- red and orange cherry tomatoes

-- green peppers

-- kale

-- pickling cucumbers, as well as regular cukes

-- onions

-- garlic

-- zucchini squash

-- brocolli

-- collard greens (which I have grown to love)

Our CSA was going to put out okra, but they didn't get it into the ground soon enough. With all the hot weather we had up here, I'm sure it would have been a good growing season for it.

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

And in Arizona...

- peaches

- poblano peppers

- corn

- sunburst yellow squash

- scallions

- lettuce

- big ol' beefsteak tomatoes

- basil

- collard greens (me too!)

- shiitake mushrooms

ETA - I forgot the yellow watermelon that I already scarfed.

Edited by viva (log)

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

This week, at HoneyBrook Organic CSA in Hopewell, NJ: I didn't do the pick your own, time constraints, but picked up this @ the farm stand:

basil, lots ( individual share was three bunches)

watermelon

eggplants

leeks

squash

tomatoes, tomatoes tomatoes. Heirlooms were gorgeous, chose the yellow ones b/c I have some home grown Rutgers big Boys..salad tonite both looked and tasted great

heirloom peppers

potatoes

onions

pick your own was sunflowers, stem floweres, internat'l eggplants, c herry and plum tomatoes, and the usual extensive herbs.

I :wub: my farm.

this week in san diego, ca:

-- canteloupes

-- avocado

-- onions

-- red chard

-- bok choy

-- eight ball squash

-- tomatoes

-- carrots

this was my first experience with a csa. i'm excited to start experimenting with veggies i've never tried before (red chard and eight ball squash)

• 1 month later...

What coming down the pipe now in your CSA boxes? (besides pumpkins, that is...)

Now more than ever it would seem to vary quite a bit depending where you live. Does anyone particpate in a CSA that delivers year round?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 4 months later...

I re-started my CSA subscription today. End of winter, early spring crops here in the sunny south.

Here's what I got:

gallery_11280_2618_470864.jpg

Baby spinach, cabbage, carrots, baby broccoli, turnips, arugula, onions, kohlrabi. Not pictured are salad mix and 2 lbs of frozen blueberries (that this farmer "banks" during the summer so as to be able to offer fruit share in lean months).

Crud!  Now I've got spring fever.

Sorry. Well, not too, but sort of. :wink:

Made cream of arugula and spring onion soup for lunch (served with multigrain bread from Alon's, the bakery across the street from the market where I pick up my CSA, as well as Epoisses and a cheese called Hollywood made by Sweetgrass Dairy here in Georgia). Some kohlrabi sliced and served raw. I told my husband it was good for him. His answer: "It better be."

Roasting carrots with olive oil and sea salt right now for consumption later this week. The key here is for me to transfer them to the fridge before eating them right there on the spot.

Spinach blanched, also ready for dinner or lunch next week.

• 1 month later...

Spring is finally rolling here in Northern California after a record-breaking cold and wet March to mid April. This week we got wild mustard, asparagus, tokyo turnips, spinach, and a few gorgeous spring onions.

The spring onions are quite large - maybe two inches in diameter at the base, and a beautiful, deep purple near the roots.

So, how are pristine, large spring onions best enjoyed? Chopped small and used raw, like scallions? Sliced and cooked in the place of mature onions? How can I make the best use of these fellas?