• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q&A -- Classic Cocktails

Beans, you point out one of the problems with my Vodka Gimlet with fresh lime juice order.  Sometimes the limes are incredibly sour.  When readily available, I'll just add a bit of sugar to the drink and stir it.  But now I wonder...does the average bar keep simple syrup around?  Could I ask for it?  Or is that going too far?  I don't dare ask for even a splash of Rose's because inevitably the drink will be yellow.

By all means, ask if they use simple syrup. They may have it on hand but don't use it very often. I have found if bartenders aren't trained on quality cocktail preparation, they just don't know -- most skid along learning on the job as they go. That's cool. You gotta start somewhere, but often learn from their customers rather than what their cohorts are doing, because often they are all doing the same thing/approach. Does that makes sense?

Generally, it is good bar practice for the bartender or bar manager to be aware of the frequency of certain requests for product they do not usually order or maintain. They will begin to order in the items when they see a growing interest or to please a regular customer. So asking for a particular preparation method or product is always the best way to go. :smile:

It's not going to far. :cool:

If no simple syrup, well ask if they use Rose's and tell them -- Just a drop of the Rose's -- so as only to be a hint of Rose's or like droplets from an eye dropper.... :wink: They should get the picture! If not, find new digs and start up a new relationship with the next bar of your choosing!

• 3 weeks later...

I made the "faux mojito" (and both of the syrups listed) tonight. The syrups alone are amazing... The combination of mint, jalapeno, and sugar is intense. I like the quantities listed; seems like this stuff will last forever, and it made a hefty though not unmanagable ammount of the stuff.

I gave my wife a "faux'jito" and she declared it delicious, then spicy. I liked it a lot, though it doesnt taste much like a mojito (and not sure it should). The burn from the jalapeno in the throat a few seconds after drinking is vaguely alcoholesque, this is a very clever drink. I'll endevour to keep the ingredients on hand to whip them up for guests.

This article also inspired me to get some vermouth (never have much liked it, but have never tried the good stuff, either). I found some Lillet, haven't tried it yet. I also tried Boodles gin, despite the fact I rarely drink gin aside from Tanqueray (for tonics) and Junipero (for a neat treat). The Boodles is great! Thanks for the suggestion.

I, too, tend to dislike the sweet drinks (mojitos and lemondrops being the rare exceptions) so the whole tone of this article was right up my alley, and is convincing me to re-explore the world of cocktails. I sadly settled on beer and wine, and the waistline is suggesting I don't need any more beer. Not sure how many more syrupy non-alcohol drinks I need, either, but you have to start somewhere.

Thanks, JAZ.

I made the "faux mojito" (and both of the syrups listed) tonight.  The syrups alone are amazing...  The combination of mint, jalapeno, and sugar is intense.  I like the quantities listed; seems like this stuff will last forever, and it made a hefty though not unmanagable ammount of the stuff.

I'm glad you liked them. I use the "mojito" syrup for sorbet too, and have also used it in a frozen blended drink with tequila and lime.

I also tried Boodles gin, despite the fact I rarely drink gin aside from Tanqueray (for tonics) and Junipero (for a neat treat).  The Boodles is great!  Thanks for the suggestion.

And I'm always happy when someone discovers Boodles -- it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

• 2 years later...

Hello JAZ,

For someone like me who isn't very experienced in tasting spirits (and thus far isn't a big cocktail drinker), this course was a great place to start.

My problem is, I've never really been able to successfully acquire a taste for cocktails because of "the burn". I feel like a mutant.

I've had champagne cocktails that I've liked, and a mojito, when it isn't too strong, can be quite nice. And, yeah, I've had my share of sweet drinks (mostly after dinner) and port (tawny, don't like the ruby).

The spirits at full strength sting in such a way that it is hard for me to get over. The "warmth" aspect is pleasant, but the burn--it tingles in an unpleasant way that I find similar to a Halls cough drop. In other words, I think I have the palette of a complete whimp! The flavor of the things I tried (gin, vodka, rum, tequila, vermouth, brandy and a few liquers) were fine--it was the sting I object to. Though, admitedly, with the liquers, well, they are sweet enough that the sting wasn't a big deal and I could probably sip a small bit of it on the rocks after a meal without issue.

Of course, when I read your recipes, my mouth started to water when I saw ingredients like lemon, lime, etc. I mean, yes, those things in a drink sound good!

For what it's worth--I am a novice wine drinker too, but this goes down easier though I still can usually only manage a glass. Champagne is no problem. Beer--never developed a taste for it (was probably though to be an alien imposter in college).

So, being that my spirits taste test was so hard on my mouth, I am a little unsure as how to proceed. I almost want to go to a really good bar (one with a reputation for having knowledgable/talented bar staff) when they are slow and get educated, but it sounds kind of expensive. (sigh)

Thanks again for the class, and for encouraging the taste test experiment! If you have any idea about what I might try to "dip my toe in the pool" I'd be quite grateful.

Sincerely,

Cindy

A few ideas occur to me that might work for you.

The first is to begin with "long" drinks -- that is, drinks that are served in tall glasses over ice -- rather than cocktails (relatively stronger drinks served up in smaller glasses). The burn you feel might be cut by the extra dilution of the alcohol.

Also, many of these drinks are topped with something carbonated: soda, ginger beer or ale, tonic, or even champagne. Although carbonation has its own sort of "bite," it definitely mitigates the burning sensation from the alcohol. That might be why you like champagne better than still wine, and why you liked the mojito you tried.

Third, as you noticed, enough sweetness can lessen the burn too. As I mentioned in the course, I'm not crazy about sweet cocktails, but I do like many that have a sweet and sour profile -- Margaritas, Daiquiris, Sidecars, for example. You might want to try some sweeter or sweet and sour cocktails and see if those are easier on your palate.

I'll think about some specific drink recipes and post them for you later.