• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

From another thread...
he's planning to "pre-open" 21P, very informally, for his SBC regulars and eGulleteers who want to stop by next week--he's thinking he'll be ready for Tuesday.  He's planning 50% off food, it'll likely not be a full menu, with wines regularly priced, but I'm sure his markups will be gentle.  I'd call ahead to confirm

Is anyone interested in trying this out "on a whim" on Wednesday evening if they are open?

I wish I could--that menu both scares me and makes my mouth water. Alas, previous commitments intrude. I hope someone will report on these two dishes especially:

Cilantro Braised Lamb Shank w/ White Beans Ravioli, Cilantro Cream & Baby Spinach

Moulard Duck Breast (Rare Only) w/ Dried Strawberry Sauce and Wild Mushroom Strudel

Jennifer

Off to the Mother Land AKA Midcoast Maine tomorrow for Christmas. I'm sure on the trip from the airport to Boothbay there will be the must stop at the Big Top Deli for a Gobbler sandwich.

Happy Holiday's all!

Off to the Mother Land AKA Midcoast Maine tomorrow for Christmas.  I'm sure on the trip from the airport to Boothbay there will be the must stop at the Big Top Deli for a Gobbler sandwich. 

Happy Holiday's all!

I used to rock gobblers bi-weekly. The only crappy part as waiting in line with Bowdoin students.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Happy holidays all!

Off to Lynchburg for Peanut's first Xmas.

And with a nod to my favorite series growing up -- "Be safe out there!"

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I am considering stopping by Palena tonight for a drink before meeting a friend for dinner. I am definitely going to Firefly tomorrow night with a different friend--but hope to come by early and visit with His Dreaminess before she shows up. :wub:

I thought about stopping at Palena tonight for a burger and decided, somewhat ala Jimminy Cricket, to let the parking gods be my guide.

Alas, someone pulled into the space in front of Palena JUST ahead of me...

I came home to slightly fizzy apple cherry cider, warmed up nicely, and scrambled eggs with cheese curds from the farmers market. Definitely not a Palena burger but I can go work on my Gilmore Girls marathon instead.

Next time...

Jennifer

Does anyone remember the great 1957 cartoon The Three Little Bops

It seems like it was only yesterday when I last saw it.

Allegorically,

Rocks.

Hell yeah-- big bad wolf in a zoot suit!

3 Bops and a Wolf

Went to Banana Cafe on Capitol Hill instead of Rice last night. Mixed results around the table as far as food goes, but it's a fun atmosphere. Good guac!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Tried to go to Jackie's On a Whim on Tuesday, couldn't even get a seat at the bar ! :blink: (on a Tuesday!) Watched Amazing Race instead.

Tonight is Christmas with the in-laws, and tomorrow is the slow crawl up 95 to Delaware to visit Mom & Pop EllenH for the weekend.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

Tonight, probably Bistro Bis. Though 15 Ria and Ceiba are under consideration. Me, my best bud (father of my twin god-sons), and my bro (future father of my twin nephews and/or nieces) will be celebrating my bro's big news. I'll probably be excluded from most conversation as it will revolve around commiserating about pregnant wives.

Oy, and I have to work tomorrow.

-- A.B.

Oh man, do I ever need to go out tonight. Something about being home...

none of you happen to be in the Fairfield County, CT area, by chance? Anybody know of a cheese shop in this area? Jill's got me hooked on the good stuff, and even though it's not my assigned duty, I am NOT doing the Shop-Rite cheddar (Yellow AND white) again! The nut-encrusted port wine cheese, ok...afterall, what is Christmas without family tradition?

Alright, video games and Post Road Diner (Haven't been home 24 hours and already I've been twice!) it is!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

I would be all over Oyamel tonight....

So close, yet so far away: I'll be a block over and down the street (None of this 'Jefferson Davis Highway' hooey...that's the Boston Post Road!) from Oyamel, albeit 400 miles away.

At least I found a cheese shop. Have some oxtail tacos for me!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

had my second experience at Oyamel , was great again. especially salmon ceviche.

sorry Chef Shogun , maybe next time we go together :smile:

Edited by fero style (log)

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

recap of last night. as i remember it anyway.

belgian beer (9% alcohol)

pinot noir

cab to Bistro Bis

a negroni

malbec

steak tartare

malbec

merguez sausage

seared scallops

malbec

cab to Poste

shiraz

shiraz

spinach and ricotta ravioli (wow!)

shiraz

walk to next restaurant-- rosa mexicana

pomegranate margarita

don julio anejo tequila (smooooooooooooth)

walk to next restaurant-- jaleo

sangria

sangria

cab home

ice cold vodka

pass out ice cold

and here i sit. in my office. railroad spike in my left eye. satan in my gut. :wacko:

happy freakin holidays,

al dented

-- A.B.

and here i sit. in my office. railroad spike in my left eye. satan in my gut.  :wacko:

happy freakin holidays,

al dented

Told you not to mess with expectant fathers. We kick all sorts of ass.

(My dog came into the bedroom at 4:30 a.m. this morning and threw up a half-digested mole on the new carpet. No kid can top that, right?)

Happy hurlidays. Stretch.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

It's been a multiethnic Christmas, and diversity is damn delicious. Christmas eve, we got invited to a proper tamalada, with homemade tamales flown in from Manny's Mom in New Mexico and posole made with parts I didn't know pigs even had. Yesterday was Corduroy, where they were doing unnatural, though uniformly delicious, things with winter squashes -- like serving them for dessert with ginger ice cream. This afternoon we ate honey-glazed geese stuffed with apples, and really starchy kartoffelklösse and way, way more red cabbage than anyone would consider prudent, all washed down with eye-watering cherry schnapps made on the sly by someone's uncle back in the Schwartzwald. Gassy, but happy. Stretch.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.