• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

Well all the BdC talk has got me thinking about HH...

Firefly, anyone? And no, I do not have any ambitions of topping Mssr. Stretch's outing of the other night!

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Well all the BdC talk has got me thinking about HH...

Firefly, anyone?  And no, I do not have any ambitions of topping Mssr. Stretch's outing of the other night!

Hey Mike:

I'll see you there between 5:30-6:00, depending on the traffic, which has been rotten the past few evenings.

After last Friday's last-minute change in plans, this week I really am going to Jackie's for dinner. :wub:

Yeah, and it was all my fault. :blush:

Peanut'll be there Friday at 7.

Wanted to go Thurday so I could get that pork, but we have a viewing of Peanut's first artwork at day care (aka her teacher dipped her feet in paint and put footprints on paper!)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

After last Friday's last-minute change in plans, this week I really am going to Jackie's for dinner. :wub:

Yeah, and it was all my fault. :blush:

Peanut'll be there Friday at 7.

Wanted to go Thurday so I could get that pork, but we have a viewing of Peanut's first artwork at day care (aka her teacher dipped her feet in paint and put footprints on paper!)

I'd like to try to get out now that we're finally moved into our new home, as of this past weekend. Maybe I can convince my husband to go to Jackie's if he knows there may be others there as well? Mandalay wasn't an option since we're actually going to Firefly tomorrow for a triple celebration of the past few month's events...anniversary, bday and the move finally being over! Looking forward to a great meal tomorrow, though. I may try to sneak over for drink to while away the time before my husband meets me there at 7, just in case anyone else isn't going to Mandalay and is in Firefly's neck of the woods? I'd love some company, but will drink alone if I have to! :raz:

Okay so I'm starting early, but WTH, Friday before Christmas, totally dead in the office and I don't know how long I'll stick around. Anyone got any happy hour plans -- Firefly? Tallula? Corduroy? Somewhere else?

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I'll be making a rare foray into Georgetown tonight. I'm not sure why, but I feel compelled to go to Old Glory. They're kind of like an IHOP-- several kinds of sauce on the table to slather over your food. I wonder if they have Boysenberry.

Go ahead, try and talk me out of it. :wink:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I'll be making a rare foray into Georgetown tonight. I'm not sure why, but I feel compelled to go to Old Glory. They're kind of like an IHOP-- several kinds of sauce on the table to slather over your food. I wonder if they have Boysenberry.

Go ahead, try and talk me out of it.  :wink:

Excellent choice. I may start out at Mendocino for some vino, but then head up the street for some good bourbon. In which case I'll see you there.

I've got a friend in town from Boston who needs some convincing on DC's food cred. Scored a palpable hit with lunch at Eve yesterday, but today needs to be a little softer on the wallet. Thinking maybe Colorado Kitchen or 2Amys for lunch, then meander downtown and pitch tent somewhere snug for a long, slow slide into happy hour and the comforts of Corduroy. Maybe someplace with a fireplace and a pretty barmaid a soothing ambience. Any thoughts?

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Let's hear it for the Bourbon Club! :biggrin:

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Let's hear it for the Bourbon Club! :biggrin:

Yes, this is what I aspire to: A brass plate with my name on it prominently displayed in a popular public place so that the whole world knows what a lush I am!

I've always been impartial to the Town and Country bar in Mayflower. Not a big fan of hotel bars per se, but they are across the street from where I used to work, and along with Filene's, delivered many rounds of stress relief from mean bosses. Nice bartender, old club-style padded leather chairs, and nut mix do not suck.

Resident Twizzlebum

I've always been impartial to the Town and Country bar in Mayflower.  Nice bartender, old club-style padded leather chairs, and nut mix do not suck.

Sam is a great guy. Ever seen him do magic tricks? I haven't been there in a long long time-- I may have to stop in sometime this holiday season and make a contribution to his charity.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Haven't been to the Mayflower in a while. In my youth, they used to employ perhaps the most aptly named bartender in the business, an affable fellow named Tom Collins.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

From another thread...

he's planning to "pre-open" 21P, very informally, for his SBC regulars and eGulleteers who want to stop by next week--he's thinking he'll be ready for Tuesday.  He's planning 50% off food, it'll likely not be a full menu, with wines regularly priced, but I'm sure his markups will be gentle.  I'd call ahead to confirm

Is anyone interested in trying this out "on a whim" on Wednesday evening if they are open?

Bill Russell