• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

I can't think of any sushi places, good or otherwise, in the Old Town area. I seem to recall a Japanese steakhouse type place in one of the office buildings along the river between the power plant and King Street, north of Old Town proper. I do not know if they have sushi.

There is this steakhouse (that mnebergall referenced)in the northern part of Old Town-- I have no idea if it's any good, but I used to walk past it fairly often and there never seemed to be anyone there:

Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse

And there is Koto on King St, a couple of blocks from the river. I went a few years ago and was not happy with it.

You might have to go to Arlington. Matuba perhaps?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I can't think of any sushi places, good or otherwise, in the Old Town area.  I seem to recall a Japanese steakhouse type place in one of the office buildings along the river between the power plant and King Street, north of Old Town proper.  I do not know if they have sushi.

Mark: During the first year of its existence, Nouveau East had an excellent Sushi chef. He left to help his family with the Tokyo Japanese Steak House, so I have to assume they feature Sushi, and I'd be willing to vouch that if Jeff, the chef from NE, is still there it would be pretty darned good.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Everyone make sure and ask iamthestretch how his evening was last night at Firefly

and David Greggory

and Asia Nora

and Citronelle

and Sette Osteria

and Timberlakes

BTW Stretch, your wife called last night at 1:45 AM looking for you - I believe you were downstairs hurling in the bathroom at Timberlakes.

Everyone make sure and ask iamthestretch how his evening was last night at Firefly

and David Greggory

and Asia Nora

and Citronelle

and Sette Osteria

and Timberlakes

BTW Stretch, your wife called last night at 1:45 AM looking for you - I believe you were downstairs hurling in the bathroom at Timberlakes.

I wigged out after Citronelle. I'm not worthy.

I'm also not sick.

Does anyone know if there are still GU-Illinois tix available? TicketBastard's website is being fluky.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Everyone make sure and ask iamthestretch how his evening was last night at Firefly ...

Enjoy it while you can...

Well, I guess by this point Mrs. Stretch should be past the hurling point. Now, it's his turn! :laugh:

Edited by JPW (log)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

and David Greggory

and Asia Nora

and Citronelle

and Sette Osteria

and Timberlakes

Isn't there some kind of non-disclosure agreement on eGullet? Don't you, Mr Rocks, as Forum Host, have some sort of sacred duty to uphold?

Never drinking outside of my humble abode again,

Al :unsure:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I will admit that Stretch PM'ed me this morning and asked if I do him the favor of coming over and shooting him. I told him that I did not think that would work to relieve his pain. His headache would survive him.

edited to add: didn't I hear someplace that Strech had a gold medal in Olympic hurling that he won at Lake Phlacid.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

and David Greggory

and Asia Nora

and Citronelle

and Sette Osteria

and Timberlakes

My guess is that we will not see stretch at HH on Friday night! :raz:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

(I wonder if they'll have the fondue fountains again). 

*sigh*

Oh my god!! Cheese or Chocolate??? :shock:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I told you that Donnhoff was dodgy. Thanks for the memories, Rocks. Next time I’ll save up the Wallace and Grommit until I’m sitting in your nice, clean car.

No worries, Rocks always leaves his windows down for just such an occation.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Chocolate. Last year they had one with milk chocolate and another for white. Toward the end of the night (after I'd already had my fill of chocolate), I amused myself by getting a couple of my drunker colleagues to try the fondue hands-free and video taping it on my cell phone.

Among my friends, I'm usually the equivalent of the "drunken colleague" so in this situation, it's fun to be the evil one whispering encouragement. :cool:

Edited by JennyUptown (log)