• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

I'm thinking about cracking open the pint of Maker's Mark hidden in my desk at about 6.

And then going back to work.

ARRRGGGGHHHH

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I wasn't sure where to post this, but thought DC area egulleters might be interested:

Jacques Pepin is scheduled to be on the Diane Rehm show on WAMU-FM (88.5) today (11/15) at 11 a.m. to talk about his new book, Fast Food My Way :wub:

Also today, food writer Alan Richman is scheduled to be on the Kojo Nmamdi show on the same station sometime during the show's 1 o'clock hour.

Happy listening - and cooking!

Had the big bowl with fat brisket and eye round at Pho Hiep Hoa on University Blvd. in Wheaton this weekend. Most fragrant. But the coolest thing there are the two fish in the tank by the cash register: imagine the head of a large sardine grafted onto the forebody of a small carp grafted onto the tail section of an overweight eel. I hope they taste good, or their bile ducts cure psoriasis or something, otherwise that's one evolutionary pathway that's pretty much a total loss.

Snakeheads? :laugh:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

My gripe with tripe - there is never enough!  My ideal bowl of pho would be the raw rib eye, fat brisket, metaballs, tripe & tendon (lots of tripe and tendon).  Yuuuum....

I've always wondered about this. Isn't tripe cheaper than dirt? Why are they always so stingy with it?

My gripe with tripe - there is never enough!  My ideal bowl of pho would be the raw rib eye, fat brisket, metaballs, tripe & tendon (lots of tripe and tendon).  Yuuuum....

I've always wondered about this. Isn't tripe cheaper than dirt? Why are they always so stingy with it?

I know, right? Maybe too much of it affects the broth/taste? Maybe it's the labor cost of cleaning and preparing it? (Kinda like chittlins?)

One thing about pho though - you eat pho, you smell like pho afterwards. One of these days, I'm going to be really bad and eat pho prior to a department meeting...muwahaha!

...metaballs...

These are like meatballs, only much more self-referential, right? :biggrin:

Whoops! I'd edit the post but it's actually funnier this way.

I dislike how pho houses split the meatballs before putting it into your pho. Maybe it's to speed up the cooking process but I like a whole meatball in my pho for once, gosh darn it all!

(And no, it's not self-referential!) =)

I know, right? Maybe too much of it affects the broth/taste? Maybe it's the labor cost of cleaning and preparing it? (Kinda like chittlins?)

One thing about pho though - you eat pho, you smell like pho afterwards. One of these days, I'm going to be really bad and eat pho prior to a department meeting...muwahaha!

this is why i have a designated pho shirt.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

this is why i have a designated pho shirt.

Interesting. I never thought to do that. =)

Actually, I thought pho places would be a good (casual) first date place. Think about it - you have something to talk about, it's quick (just in case the date's painful and you want to get out immediately) and guy or girl, your date's picky or high maintenance traits would show once you hit the pho place.

But why go out with someone who's not down for a glorious bowl of perfectly prepared pho? :biggrin:

Actually, I thought pho places would be a good (casual) first date place.  Think about it - you have something to talk about, it's quick (just in case the date's painful and you want to get out immediately) and guy or girl, your date's picky or high maintenance traits would show once you hit the pho place. 

But why go out with someone who's not down for a glorious bowl of perfectly prepared pho?  :biggrin:

Sounds like a good idea for a seperate thread....what type of places are good for a first date? Although I think going out to eat pho is akin to going out to eat spaghetti, or an oversized sub on a first date! (it could be verry messy :shock: )

i have considered this. but some girls are turned off by me slurping down tendon and tripe. fools, the lot of them

Edited by jmc8y (log)

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Actually, I thought pho places would be a good (casual) first date place.  Think about it - you have something to talk about, it's quick (just in case the date's painful and you want to get out immediately) and guy or girl, your date's picky or high maintenance traits would show once you hit the pho place. 

But why go out with someone who's not down for a glorious bowl of perfectly prepared pho?   :biggrin:

Sounds like a good idea for a seperate thread....what type of places are good for a first date? Although I think going out to eat pho is akin to going out to eat spaghetti, or an oversized sub on a first date! (it could be verry messy :shock: )

nice girls don't (pho)ck on the first date.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

But why go out with someone who's not down for a glorious bowl of perfectly prepared pho?   :biggrin:

Pho's not nearly as messy as spaghetti! Granted, if your chopstick skills aren't sharp, you're kinda screwed... :biggrin:

nice girls don't (pho)ck on the first date.

I blame it on my Catholic school education.

Oops, I did it again...*smirk*

Enough with the Britney references....egullet pho outing, anyone?

Its almost Friday so lets start talking about one last happy hour before Turkey Day! Since last week did not work out anyone up for meeting at Corduroy after work tomorrow?

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Its almost Friday so lets start talking about one last happy hour before Turkey Day!  Since last week did not work out anyone up for meeting at Corduroy after work tomorrow?

I'll try to be there by 8 pm or so as I will be saying a long goodbye to my gym.

Resident Twizzlebum

Its almost Friday so lets start talking about one last happy hour before Turkey Day!  Since last week did not work out anyone up for meeting at Corduroy after work tomorrow?

It looks like I may be able to slip the leash and join.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Pho's not nearly as messy as spaghetti!  Granted, if your chopstick skills aren't sharp, you're kinda screwed... :biggrin:

My point exactly! Yes, there is a talent to the chopstick grab, twirl in the spoon, slurp the noodles...but how many are really, truly, adept at the whole process? ( and the inevitable splash here or there that ends up on the shirt...)

I would definitely be up for an egullet outing, but am in the process of packing and moving, so, probably won't be available 'til all this crap is over and done with. :wacko:

It's going to cost me some serious babysitting duties over the next few weeks, but I'm in for happy hours at Corduroy tonight. Will show up at about 6.

Joe W