• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

All I want to do today is hide, preferably somewhere warm and dark and quiet, with a big creamy beer and something meaty and rich.

Where?

How bout an Irish pub? Who does some REAL pub grub? I'd dig that.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Stretch and I, after stopping at the Roberto Donna Grill to pick up some sandwiches for later, walked up the street and had a nice lunch at Firefly. We both had the steak frites, medium rare flank steak, just the right amount of chewiness you expect from a good flank steak, and great beefy flavor. The paper cone of frites was served with a fresh made aioli. For starters, Stretch had the squash soup and I had the fried oysters. (I know, I should branch out, but the fried oysters are like eating clouds.) What a great place to sit at the bar on a shitty day and have a nice leisurely lunch. And the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies that John W. brought us were just the right exclamation point to the lunch.

I'll have to try the Galileo sandwiches late in the afternoon.

Stretch and I, after stopping at the Roberto Donna Grill to pick up some sandwiches for later, walked up the street and had a nice lunch at Firefly.

Blast, I was going to ask if anybody wanted to go for happy hour. So...want to go back in a few hours?

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Stretch and I, after stopping at the Roberto Donna Grill to pick up some sandwiches for later, walked up the street and had a nice lunch at Firefly.

Blast, I was going to ask if anybody wanted to go for happy hour. So...want to go back in a few hours?

I thought I would wait until tomorrow to go to the Firefly wine happy hour. What, with Champagne and all.

I thought I would wait until tomorrow to go to the Firefly wine happy hour. What, with Champagne and all.

That is what I was thinking, since I have class tonight.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

So, considering I have 8PM reservations tomorrow, and am thinking about heading to Firefly early for a drink, I expect to see some eGeers lurking about. Do you all wear distinctive hats, or should I just look for the empty wine glasses and plates strewn about? :smile:

Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!

So, considering I have 8PM reservations tomorrow, and am thinking about heading to Firefly early for a drink, I expect to see some eGeers lurking about.  Do you all wear distinctive hats, or should I just look for the empty wine glasses and plates strewn about?  :smile:

Just look for us at the bar. There are only about 6 or 8 seats. Half will be eGulleteers drinking sparkling wine.

Eunny, Stoney's serves an acceptable bowl. I've enjoyed the vegetarian chili at Ben's before, but they don't have a liquor license so no brewskies. I'm probably too late for ya anyway though. :sad:

I'll be there around 6:15.

Love to join you guys, but I've got early res's at Ray's so I have to head to Arlington after work. Cheers!

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

A decent showing this evening. At the bar, mdt, mnebergall, tdaschle, ldaschle, chef shogun and babka.

edited to add: Is suspect that the daschles will be decamping soon.

Edited to add: And, Babka, thanks for delivering the tasso ham.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Good evening at Firefly! I didn't mention it at the time, but I could swear the guy at the table behind where I was standing was The Thirstly Traveler from The Food Network, but I could be wrong. In fact, I probably am. In Firefly news, still totally addicted to the fried oysters, and the squash soup was as good as advertised!

Mini-Review:

Got a call from roommate on the way back from Firefly with mdt. He (roommate, not mdt) was being....'displaced from his room temporarily'...so we went to "Bailey's Pub And Grille" in the Oyamel/Jaleo strip for some beer. Decent-to-pretty-good chicken fingers, decent stuff on the TVs, and a pretty damn respectable beer list (I had a Dogfish Head 60-Minute IPA and a Delirium Tremens). Total Gallo/Woodbridge wine list, but you're not there for the wine. Not bad, all in all. Service not so hot, but it's a sports bar - albeit trying to be a step or so up from your standard generic sports bar - so what do you want. One thing I thought was funny: The 'specialty drinks' weren't priced, but when are they ever, but neither were the beers. Wine was, though.

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Already thinking about happy hour. Yes, it has been that type of day so far. Thinking of Corduroy.... Another suggestion? Anyone interested?

Already thinking about happy hour.  Yes, it has been that type of day so far.  Thinking of Corduroy....  Another suggestion? Anyone interested?

I could get into a stop at Corduroy. What time were you thinking?

I was thinking of getting there a little before 6pm.

Already thinking about happy hour.  Yes, it has been that type of day so far.  Thinking of Corduroy....  Another suggestion? Anyone interested?

Corduroy would rule, but I can't today. If you want to go back sometime, I'm there!

For now, endulging in a tasty lunch of one of DC's specialties: Mediocre Thai! I'm so chemically dependang on Panang curry that today it beat out the fish sandwich at Breadline! I love you, mediocre Foggy Bottom Thai: overcooked rice, inadequate interpretation of 'extra spicy, please', and all!

Matt Robinson