• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

What a bizzare reply to a perfectly reasonable question.

( :wink: )

High noon - The ultimate in east coast vs. west coast rap dominance.

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Oddball question: Does anyone know if there is a chef in town who happens to be a Red Sox fan? I know I'm going to need to go out to dinner this weekend to either celebrate (please G*d) or to wallow in despair. Either way, I'd like to support a fellow Red Sox fan, if possible.  :rolleyes:

If I cannot find such a chef, I think I'll head to Palena Cafe, where our great waitress the other night was a fellow native New Englander and Sox fan.

Look no further, you'll find me tonight bouncing between the bar and MDR dooling out wine and cheese to the guests and drunken curses to the TV. I'm working on a deal to fly in Perdo Martinez's Lucky Midget Nelson to wear the chips and salsa sombreo. It will be quite a scene I'm sure.

GO SOX

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Look no further, you'll find me tonight bouncing between the bar and MDR dooling out wine and cheese to the guests and drunken curses to the TV. I'm working on a deal to fly in Perdo Martinez's Lucky Midget Nelson to wear the chips and salsa sombreo. It will be quite a scene I'm sure.

GO SOX

This is it. I have found the place. A restaurant I've been dying to try run by a true Sox fan.

Whether I'm ecstatic or heartbroken after tonight's game, I believe Nectar will be the place for me this weekend. :cool:

GO SOX

I shouldn't even grace this thread with my oh-so-gracious presence now that some of you have been revealed to be the enemy, but I will just say that Perd(id)o will always be how I think of Sr. Martinez from now on.

Topic: repeat from last week; where's a good red blooded American (i.e. Yankees fan) to go to watch the game?

Edited by eunny jang (log)

I shouldn't even grace this thread with my oh-so-gracious presence now that some of you have been revealed to be the enemy, but I will just say that Perd(id)o will always be how I think of Sr. Martinez from now on.

Topic: repeat from last week; where's a good red blooded American (i.e. Yankees fan) to go to watch the game?

Go to Nectar with a Wankers hat on. Good times.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Oh please, please, please don't let it be Sox/Astros. The baseball as politics/politics as baseball metaphors will be laid on thicker than a Ray's ribeye. And then the wrong f*ckers will claim both titles and the top of my head will blow off and lazily flip over a few times and drop back into place back to front and the mullet tail will cover my eyes and I won't be able to see what I'm ordering and will be forced to eat nothing but tasting menus and that will just play holy Hell with my girlish figure.

Edited to add: Because it's all about me, obviously.

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Oh please, please, please don't let it be Sox/Astros. The baseball as politics/politics as baseball metaphors will be laid on thicker than a Ray's ribeye. And then the wrong f*ckers will claim both titles and the top of my head will blow off and lazily flip over a few times and drop back into place back to front and the mullet tail will cover my eyes and I won't be able to see what I'm ordering and will be forced to eat nothing but tasting menus and that will just play holy Hell with my girlish figure.

Edited to add: Because it's all about me, obviously.

No matter who loses, there's sure to be lawsuits.

PS: I like that "thicker than a Ray's ribeye" line.

Methinks a few plates at Oyamel after work are in order.

Edited for update: Eh, tired...think I'll just go for lunch tomorrow.

Counter-Edit: But then on the subway I was like "Fine, I'm tired...but what am I going to EAT??" Went to Oyamel!

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

I'm always up for a run to Firefly.  Except on those nights when I can't go.  Tonight is one of those nights.  Tomorrow's looking better, though!

I could get into a visit to Firefly tonight...especially after hearing about the squash soup on the other thread.

Met up with another eGulleter at Di Marco's on Colesville Rd Silver Spring for lunch. The calzones they serve as a special on Thursdays are delicious and it appeared he enjoyed the sub with Mozz and homemade sausage. Scored some illegally burned music off of him too as a bonus! :biggrin:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I could get into a visit to Firefly tonight...especially after hearing about the squash soup on the other thread.

I could, too. I really, really could. Especially since I now 'have' to go to this thing at The Froggy Bottom Pub with some people from work. Right down 21st street. So close, yet so far.... :sad:

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

I might take my ol' lady to Tosca tonight for a little pasta action at the bar. Any idea of the likelihood of getting a seat? Any recommendations on wine?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Peanut will be making an appearance at Jackie's tonight.

Did Peanut like it there? If Peanut endorses Jackie's, I'm sold!

Peanut says "nana-er-erna-NAA-NAAAAAAA-NAAHHHAAAHHHAA"

Translated - "I really like the retro 70's faux-Functionalist interior with a Modernist twist, and the food smells really good, but hurry up and pay the freakin' check so we can go home and I can have my dinner you damn hipster foodies!!!!" :laugh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W