• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

Is it just me, or is it, like, totally pinko to ask good red-blooded Americans to decide between watching the ALCS and the debates tonight?

How'd you like to be a Cardinal fan and not be able to have the choice of watching the game involving the best team in baseball? How about an afternoon game?

Bill Russell

Is it just me, or is it, like, totally pinko to ask good red-blooded Americans to decide between watching the ALCS and the debates tonight?

Don't know about pinko, but I had serious deja vu this evening in downtown Scottsdale getting snarled up in Candidate X's motorcade. "Fuck," said my ever eloquent vacation companion. "This we could get back home anytime!"

On the plus side, we're having dinner at Robert McGrath's place tonight, which is something we most definitely could not get at home.

(OT aside: As staunch partisans of Candidate Y, we eventually had to pull over to let the aforementioned motorcade through, and clearly surprised some of the very polite Phoenix cycle cops manning that particular corner by being the only members of the small, instant crowd moved to shout: "You suck!" as it passed by. "We're from DC," my wife explained. "Ah," says the young patrolman, "You take it seriously out there, then?")

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Is anyone planning on going over to the Roberto Donna grill thing for lunch today?  The weather seems to be cooperating nicely.  I plan on trying to get there around noon.

I am going to try ot swing it today by noon or so.

Resident Twizzlebum

Donna seemed to be pulling out all the stops today. 

What a pleasant way to spend a lunch hour.

Noon doctor's appointment. :angry:

I hope the perceived 'pulling of the stops' does not indicate that this may be it for the season! This definately would have been a great day for it, though.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

If you guys make a plan, there's a decent chance I'll swing by shortly. But I cannot make a commitment--if I know when you're there and I can make it I will.

My plans are firming up. I can come by for an early cocktail but that's about it. Does anybody want to meet up around 5:30pm?

depending on traffic, 7-7:15-ish is probably the earliest we could make it. JPW had mentioned possibly dinner? Or we could just do drinks and snacks at the bar. But it sounds like either way, we may not get to meet up with you since you have other plans. Al Dente had mentioned stopping in after work for a drink--maybe the two of you could get there early and warm up the bar for us later arrivals!

but they will have Jever, Chimay, Guiness, Young's, and one other that currently escapes memory.

Ah, but which Young's?

(If it's Winter Warmer on tap, I foresee us driving to Silver Spring a lot.)

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Ah, but which Young's?

(If it's Winter Warmer on tap, I foresee us driving to Silver Spring a lot.)

Was seated at far end of bar so I did not see.

I'll investigate for you.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Right now happy hour at 5:30 ish followed by a seating for dinner around 7ish sounds like the plan. All interested in dinner, let me know and I will call in a reservation.

I'll show up for happy hour and then Mrs JPW and Peanut will be coming down for dinner.

As I was on my way home yesterday, a little birdie told me that they were actually going to open at 5:30 so I stopped by and had a beer at the bar. First customers were mainly Silver Spring dignitaries from the chamber of commerce and like organizations.

The place looks great. I didn't eat because Mrs JPW was expecting dinner on the table at home (what a slavedriver!), but I saw and smelled several dishes including the now ubiquitous mini-burgers.

Smoked monkfish appetizers looked to be among the hits. The taps haven't been hooked up yet, but they will have Jever, Chimay, Guiness, Young's, and one other that currently escapes memory. Patrick promised to do his damnedest to get them on by tonight.

See you all there.

Joe

Thanks for the legwork, Joe! I'll be at the bar Jever in hand.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Joe, 7:00 it is, and hopefully even a little sooner. While I'd welcome the opportunity to meet more egulleters, I can't foresee getting there much earlier since I don't get off work until 6pm. (the infamous Al_Dente and possibly Jenny Uptown--and anyone else who wants to come by!)

Right oh!

I've got a table for 6 at 7 PM.

Joining us for dinner will be -

edemuth

squids + Mr squids

hillvalley

JPW + Mrs JPW + Peanut

More will be showing up for happy hour.

We could probably aqueeze in a couple more for dinner if you want. Just show up for happy hour and I can talk to the hostess.

[Rocks - feel free to delete all of these planning posts later tonight if you wish]

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

My appearance is only if I don't pass out from exhaustion in the next half hour.......

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

My appearance is only if I don't pass out from exhaustion in the next half hour.......

ditto that...except I've got 1 1/2 hours to go and I'm runniing on very little sleep. I do hope you'll be able to make it--I spoke with the chef, and the menu sounds wonderful!