• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

Is anyone interested in hitting the wine happy hour at Firefly after work?  He usually has sparkling wines on Fridays.

I've never been to Firefly and I'm a wine idiot. But I'd love to stroll down if someone will hold my hand a little.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

A half dozen glasses of Champagne and a Presidential debate do not mix very well. John W. thanks for the wonderful fried oysters. They were like deep fried clouds.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, and a whole bunch of eGulleteers: eunny jang, DonRocks, Chef Shogun, mdt, and morela.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

A half dozen glasses of Champagne and a Presidential debate do not mix very well.  John W. thanks for the wonderful fried oysters.  They were like deep fried clouds.

Edited to add:  Oh yeah, and a whole bunch of eGulleteers: eunny jang, DonRocks, Chef Shogun, mdt, and morela.

Man, I came THIS close to going. I was a block away. Oh well...

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I'll be seeing the people I know are going and anyone else who wants to join us tonight at Galileo Osteria tonight at 7:30.

Don't know if that can compete with talk of Iraq, stem-cell research, wine and oysters but it should be fun. Cheap wine and pasta are almost always fun.

Bill Russell

At Firefly?  Do tell. 

Ran down to Firefly from my apartment 5 blocks away. Arrived flushed and hot. Sated thirst with pink sparkly stuff. Then had some not-so-pretty but delicious white stuff. Too much of both. Knocked over one of those top-heavy barstools about 2.5 glasses in and looked smashed when I'm actually just a clumsy clod :angry: Was appropriately mortified. Interesting conversations all around. Magically-appearing plate of oysters with a killer remoulade. Magically-appearing eGulleteers showing up out of nowhere. Fun fun.

Have fun with your parents, and happy birthday in advance!!

Edited by eunny jang (log)

Hmm, Don, all this discussion makes me want to make a lunch trip from my sad Virginia office to happenin' Dupont just to weigh in, intelligently, on the Galileo discussion...is the grilling fare as good as it sounds?

Resident Twizzlebum

Friday: Firefly! Champagne, mojito, and the famous fried oysters that were in fact like little fried clouds of tasty meat. Visits to Firefly always seem to kick off a period of a few days in which I'm going to eat far too well!

Then, home to watch the debate with a tasty grilled ham/turkey/cheese sandwich, and a big bottle of Rogue which had been darkening my vegetable crisper for too long!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Yes.  Yes it is.  I'll be there both tomorrow and Thursday if I can swing noon lunch breaks both days!  You just have to get there early, say noon.

OK, maybe Thursday, then.

Resident Twizzlebum

They will be open by Friday the 15th. Still waiting for the official notice of exactly when.

I'll let everyone know as soon as I do.

A guinnee on tap sounds reeeaal good for Friday! If we can swing by on the way home from work, it wouldn't be until 7:15-7:30 ish. Would that be too late to meet up?

Why don't we start planning for dinner Friday at 7:30.

Maybe a happy hour before for people like Al_Dente who work around downtown.

If we organize quickly enough, I can drop a line to Jackie and Patrick and give them the heads up on the size of the party.

Any takers?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I might be able to come by, but I'm leaving to go camping at the buttcrack of dawn the next day so it may not be possible.

Plus, it seems a little mean to swoop down on them en masse on their first day of operation. Not that I'm not totally eager and chomping at the bit here, mind you. :rolleyes:

I might be able to come by, but I'm leaving to go camping at the buttcrack of dawn the next day so it may not be possible.

Plus, it seems a little mean to swoop down on them en masse on their first day of operation. Not that I'm not totally eager and chomping at the bit here, mind you. :rolleyes:

Since it doesn't quite look like it will be "en masse" at this point, it would be nice to have an egullet presence on the first day of their soft opening (if that is the case, as per iamthestretch's posting.) If you could join us...although I understand entirely if you'd rather not...we promise not to keep you out too late!

JPW, Mr. Squids and I are definitely planning on stopping on our way home from work!