• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

Behold ye mighty, and lament!

So...I do that little write-up, and one of my roommates comes home, and asks what smells so good, so I send that to her:

"Wow, that looks great!" --Her

"Thanks, it turned out really well." --Me

"So, wanna go in on some pizza?" --Her

"Um...that thing I just sent you; I ate that. I'm set. Thanks, though. :blink: " --Me

And...scene!

P.S. Anybody for lunch at Jaleo Crystal City tomorrow?

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

I've been avoiding the computer (and many days of egullet) as we are getting ready to sell our house. Open house is today (Sunday) so we've been up all day cleaning and making it look nice. I must admit, it will be very hard to give up our wonderful gourmet kitchen, but as the house we are buying is an original 1957 kitchen, we at least will have the opportunity to re-create it. Although I'm not looking forward to the hassle, I am hoping to get out to eat at more places...like Jackie's, when it opens, and hopefully a stop at Palena on the way home from work sometime. (As it stands right now, I don't think I've had a "real" meal in over a week--maybe even two!)

My partner ("der Brucer") and I will be at the Celebrity Chefs' Beach Brunch in Dewey Beach, DE. It's a benefit for Meals on Wheels Delaware. Starts at 11 AM at the Baycenter at Ruddertown, Dewey Beach, runs until 3 or 4. Tix are $75, and should be on sale at the door. Over 25 restaurants are participating, with lots of food, drink, and a silent auction.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

[re- Jackie's Patrick offering to say hi if someone knocked on the door in the next week or so]

We'll see.

Got the in-laws in town for a few days on either side of the weekend to meet Peanut (read - indentured babysitters and meal ticket), but I'll try to squeeze-in a drive by.

[now the on a whim part]

Not certain about our availability at the end of next week, but we might want to throw together a quick group to head down.

Edited by JPW (log)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Not certain about our availability at the end of next week, but we might want to throw together a quick group to head down.

I could do this-- I work 2 blocks away.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I had posted this on the Galileo Osteria thread:

So why is nobody going here?  We were the only table there.    :sad:

My wife is out of town and I have been thinking about going there this Saturday evening on my own. If anyone else is lame and has nothing to do this Saturday night, would anyone be up for a group visit?

We could transition this over to the "Whim" thread if people are interested.

So, is anyone up for this?

Bill Russell

If you're looking for stuff to do pre-dinner, don't forget the National Book Festival, on the Mall from 10am-5pm Saturday (Oct. 9). This year's food-related authors are Roland Mesnier, ex-White House pastry chef, and Patrick O'Connell from Inn at Little Washington - they're on at 1:00pm and 2:30pm respectively to talk about their new books and answer audience questions. Details on them and the non-food-related authors are online at www.loc.gov/bookfest.

(yeah, I know it's a plug for work, but it's an ON-TOPIC plug for work. So there.)

Edit: dates are good. correct dates are even better.

Edited by hannnah (log)
"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

If you're looking for stuff to do pre-dinner, don't forget the National Book Festival

Unfortunately I am going to be working pre-dinner. Hopefully I can avoid working post-dinner, too.

Bill Russell

On a recent the trip to Osteria the place had a whiff of doom about it -- limited menu (much smaller than the website), very few tables, and a kitchen that was clearly unconcerned with getting Osteria food out the door.

Nonetheless, the waiter warmed up a bit, when the food finally arrived it was very good, and I especially enjoyed tasting my way through one of the very few reasonably priced by-the-glass wine lists in town.

I will, I hope, be camping this weekend, but I hope you guys can spark a reversal of fortune in the place -- or at least keep them from pulling the plug, for now -- and I'll catch you next time.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Nonetheless, the waiter warmed up a bit, when the food finally arrived it was very good, and I especially enjoyed tasting my way through one of the very few reasonably priced by-the-glass wine lists in town.

What are the others on the very short list?

Have fun camping!

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

What are the others on the very short list?

Have fun camping!

Actually, I can't think of any place that has a variety of drinkable wines available for $4-6 a glass. I just didn't want to get into a dogfight with partisans of any of the town's other, pricier, wine bars

I'm on the pavement

Actually, I can't think of any place that has a variety of drinkable wines available for $4-6 a glass.  I just didn't want to get into a dogfight with partisans of any of the town's other, pricier, wine bars

(Corduroy flirts with the upper end of this price range).

FYI - we are looking at meeting at Galileo at 7:30 on Saturday evening.

FMI (for my information) - What is the dress code like? (See, I went to private school my whole life so dress codes are very important to me)

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

FYI - we are looking at meeting at Galileo at 7:30 on Saturday evening.

FMI (for my information) - What is the dress code like?  (See, I went to private school my whole life so dress codes are very important to me)

We were first offered a seat in the bar - -which was populated by (regular) Galileo dressy types. I felt a little uncomfortable in Levis and a button-down. After we asked, they moved us outside, where our jeans-and-nice-shirt were unnoticed (because there were no other tables). Unless it's warm enough for the patio, I'd err on the side of trousers/jacket/open collar. But that's just me.

I'm on the pavement