• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On a Whim... What are you up to...

Al_Dente

So who did babka and I walk by at the Adams Morgan festival today?

(we both had the crab cake sandwich, which for festival food was pretty good. it was washed down with cherry, ginger, lemonade which was too sweet for my tastes. now the post is foodie and Rocks won't delete me :wink: )

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I was there supporting Dinerboy working the dunking booth. Took my parents to Reef for brunch earlier (best grilled cheese, tomato, and bacon EVER), so by the time I was ready to eat some festival food, the only choice left was rice or beans in front of Bukom. Wish I'd made it to the crabcake in time...

Abandoned this week by my spouse,

I disdain eating at my house.

Tonight I'm bound for Palena

And wine and fritti at their bar.

Tomorrow, though, as Mark has said,

It's Eve, and rums, and (doubtless) morning head. :sad:

That's not so rough, you prob'ly think, and wonder idly why I whine.

It's simply this. When cat's away, it doesn't do, for mice to have too good a time!

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

ella's. intended to chug through a 300-page report and drink a beer. instead chugged through beer and caught up with friends I hadn't seen in a month. (apparently you can get married and buy a house in four weeks. who knew?)

and the happy hour wasn't bad--forget the free pizza idea and go for $3 pints of sam adams and the occasional nibble gratuis when hot pies come out.

Received the following very nice e-mail from the eponymous Jackie this morning in response to some questions I had e-mailed her.

A sampling of potential menu items can be found on their web site Jackie's

[side bar - not a huge fan of the web site design]

I am so excited to have something like this that I'll be able to walk to.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the update, JPW! We're counting down the days....

(and I agree about the website design)

And just who did I run into at the bar last night at Restaurant Eve? None other than that sultan of steak, pounder of meat, lion of sirloin, the ruminant regent, Michael Landrum of Ray's the Steaks. Michael, you sure do clean up. And an attractive date I might add.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

This one is a looong shot.  But I am hosting a Bike Night tonight at the Asylum Bar in Adams Morgan.  I am expecting 30-50 motorcycles so if you are into that, please come by.  Their superb burgers are half-price and wings are $.25!

Bike Night

Actually, that sounds like a LOT of fun. But I'd be terrified to run into my last boyfriend there (where's the "roiling hellbroth of hatred" emoticon?).

Me, I'll be at the bar at Bistrot du Coin, eating the mussels with white wine and unabashadly asking for extra bread with it.

This one is a looong shot.  But I am hosting a Bike Night tonight at the Asylum Bar in Adams Morgan.  I am expecting 30-50 motorcycles so if you are into that, please come by.  Their superb burgers are half-price and wings are $.25!

Bike Night

Sounds great- do we need a bike? Dinerboy and I might swing by for a burger and wings.

Trying to recruit friends and roommates for a happy hour run, but nobody is biting. My roommates can be so useless sometimes! (If you're reading this, sorry, but you know you are!) So, probably off to Karma. I've never been, and have been wanting to try it for a while. Anybody been? You've got an hour to chime in and save my evening if it's no good! I'm on a total wine- and Martini-wanting (Which is odd for me, as I'm not a huge gin fan) thing lately, so the obvious choice is Firefly, but I'm not really dressed for it. Maybe Friday.

So, out of here, to somewhere, at six! Anybody up for a run??

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Ok. The orgasming over in the Straits of Malaya thread is making me think that tonight, the last night of summer, would be nice to spend on a roof deck eating shrimp chips and drinking Tiger beers. My boyfriend has bailed on me - anyone up for a little stir-fry and some late-summer sun? The weather's supposed to be beautiful....

Another time, Miss Uptown, another time!

I was at Karma last night, as advertised, and the place made a good first impression. Very chill, nice setup (Standard tables plus a couple of big couches, large glass tables for groups, and a little alcove area), and drinks only about $1 more than they probably should have been! Sat and read a Geek Book (As opposed to a Nerd Book, which I also had) and sipped as good a Martini as I've had recently, and a Caipirinha that easily shamed my ham-fisted and almost certainly yahoo-assed homemade efforts! There was only passing mention of their coffee drinks on the menu, which is the thing that had me clamoring for its opening every time I passed by last year, after the demise of Kaffe du Cafe (Cafe du Kaffe? Don't think I ever had that one straight.) so I hope they haven't lost that part of what I thought was goign to be their angle (Tagline used to be "Where spirits meet coffee" or somesuch).

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog