• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pitta pater

MatthewB

Chart of retail cuts of lamb

I don't see filet.

Matthew,possibly didn't bother mentioning because they are part of the rack

and they only become a cut if you seperate the bone from the loin.Anyway

in a lamb rack they are only about 2 ounces.

My hunch is that I've seen these then.

Labeled as "lamb loins" & they're quite small as you note.

It's an English recipe, so I expect this is one of those cases where the English nomenclature differs from the American (common language and all that). Perhaps one of our UK members will chime in.

My money's on the boneless sirloin side of the loin roast.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'm a big fan of Nigel Slater too.

I think he may be referring to Neck fillet in the recipe - That is what I would normally get (And is readily available in British supermarkets - sometimes just called 'fillet' which may be the reason for the confusion).

Boned out shoulder of lamb is good too though.

And don't forget, although I normally like lamb just warm, or room temperature, this is one recipe where you should really eat it when it is still far too hot :biggrin:

I love animals.

They are delicious.

One piece of this puzzle is found in the recipe (see link in my first post) . . .

Get the grill, barbecue or a ridged cast-iron grill pan hot. Season the lamb with salt, lay it on the grill and leave to brown nicely for 5-6 minutes, then turn and cook until the other side is crusty, too and the inside a rosy pink. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest.

He also notes, "Slice the lamb thickly . . . "

From the above, I assume that we're dealing with ~ 1/2 inch cuts of meat. (The little 2 oz loins would be too charred for the above method.)

Thoughts?

Edited by MatthewB (log)

One piece of this puzzle is found in the recipe (see link in my first post) . . .
Get the grill, barbecue or a ridged cast-iron grill pan hot. Season the lamb with salt, lay it on the grill and leave to brown nicely for 5-6 minutes, then turn and cook until the other side is crusty, too and the inside a rosy pink. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest.

He also notes, "Slice the lamb thickly . . . "

From the above, I assume that we're dealing with ~ 1/2 inch cuts of meat. (The little 2 oz loins would be too charred for the above method.)

Thoughts?

Now that I've read the recipe,the terminology "a whole fillet of lamb"I'm

sure he's not refering to the actual filet,but the loin,which has been confused

more than once,or possibly Carlovski's explanation.What is for certain is the heat and cooking time,this would lead one to believe the piece in question is at least 1 and 1/2 inces thick,possibly more.

5 to 6 minutes on high heat then turn and brown until crusty,then rest,is a thick cut for sure,just a quess but at least 14 to 18 ounces.

I'm a big fan of Nigel Slater too.

This has nothing to do with lamb filled flatbreads, but just to add that I've been reading Appetite and love it to bits. Its the sort of cookbook I've been looking for, for ages - not recipes so much as an approach to food. Any others like it?

Vikram

I think Appetite is great, the one slightly annoying thing about Nigels books is you do get a bit of repetition, but it does have good 'recipes' (My quotes, as they are more approaches to dishes) and is an enjoyable read in itself. His fast cooking books (Real fast food, 30 minute something and another one) are more traditional recipe books, but full of good stuff. Not got his real fast puddings one though - although my personal food tastes align very closely with Nigel's (Although I prefer a bit more chilli, and don't think a salad is the ideal accompaniment to as many things), puddings aren't one of them.

I love animals.

They are delicious.