• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winnipeg Restaurants

eatbc

Actually, vinegar is fine for pickles, salad dressing, and works well in the water to keep boiled eggs from cracking-but on fries? No. Never.

[ .... ]

It was a great trip and I look forward to another visit. You Prairie Dwellers need to stop underselling the place. It's a pretty cool looking downtown and in the summer, and extremely interesting place to wander around in. In the Winter-you couldn't get me there with a free ticket and all of the Polar Fleece in Canada. BRRRRRR. To cold for my thin blood. :laugh:

Oh yeah, there is lots and lots of street cart food and Mr Chippie Van type operations. Someone should take some time and analyze these. I had an excellent smokie from a cart on the corner of Portage and Edmonton on Thursday p.m. Good bun steamed and a decent large sausage to go with it. Very Tasty. Are all Canadian cities filled with these food carts?

After all of the warnings about the crime epidemic in Downtown Winnipeg I suppose that I am lucky that I made it out with my skin. :laugh:

First of all, white vinegar is the only way to eat a fry.

Second, yes, Winnipeg IS great - and I'm glad you and family had a great time.

As for the crime..... well... let's just say that we do have the #1 murder rate for Canada... Couldn't make us prouder! Actually... you would know about our crime better than any of us, because none of us walk.... I don't know if you noticed, you and your sons were the only ones walking anywhere!

So... I think you said you're coming back yes? If you plan things right - you can make it for Taste of Manitoba - where a bunch of restaurants set up in front of the legislature (not capitol!) and you can sample a bunch of stuff.

I have a few more places to suggest for you (sorry I wasn't around last year!). Let me know if you are coming and I'd be happy to share - I also grew up going to Kenora for summers... so I have a couple of ideas there too.

Keep telling people how wonderful our city is! Some of us know it and will tell others, but some of us (ie: the eGulleters who 'warned' you last year) need an outsider to remind them of how lucky we are :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had seen this thread a bit earlier....I would have put my 2 cents in..lol...oh well...if anyone is on their way here now...pm me, and I'll sugest a few good eats that wern't mentioned..ex VJ's on main..big sloppy burgers....best we got next to Mr.Mikes!

And so on.....take care all.....

..ex VJ's on main..big sloppy burgers....best we got next to Mr.Mikes!

Interesting. Everybody always says VJ's. While I'm not saying that they are bad - because they are not - I'm sure that there are better. I'm taking this on as a research project and am going to find the great burgers of Winnipeg.

What is Mr. Mikes? :unsure: